Protecting the back camera lens?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
For the first time ever, I am going with just a screen protector. I was using the speck case (awesome, btw) but it really was an effort to get the case off (i pictured myself trying it after a few beers and could easily predict tragedy), and changing the battery would have been way too much work to do that constantly. Tried to use the mohpie battery case, but yeah, was basically like carrying a brick around. All that said, I went with simplicity and threw on a screen protector and am loving the simplicity of how small and light this phone feels again.

That said, with no case the camera lens seems to sit flush with the table or whatever I place the phone on. Is the back camera cover more susceptible to scratches, does it need to be babied extra, or can I just place the phone down and not get all worried? This is something new to me, and with a camera this great I dont want to risk it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
There is no simple answer to this... The back camera is covered by a piece of tempered glass, not sure if it's gorilla glass on the G4, but the glass is tougher than you might think. Can you sit it on just anything... Probably not advisable. You have a few options though. If you don't think you'll have any impact issues you could cut a screen protector to size and cover the lense as you did the screen. If you cut carefully you can use the unused portion of the screen protector to replace the lens cover as it ages or begins to lift. There are adhesive standoffs which you can buy that effectively create a lip around the camera, these seem like a good idea but often they will lift and begin to peel away, or heat will cause them to loose adhesion. They can also affect how easily the device slips into places like your pocket or a purse pouch for cell phones, which can also shorten the life of the standoff. If you have insurance you can just go naked warm with the knowledge that if it does become scuffed or scratched that you can have it replaced. Most of the time minor scratches won't even show up in photos or cause image distortion anyway. After all we're not talking about the camera its self just a protective glass that covers it.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
For the first time ever, I am going with just a screen protector. I was using the speck case (awesome, btw) but it really was an effort to get the case off (i pictured myself trying it after a few beers and could easily predict tragedy), and changing the battery would have been way too much work to do that constantly. Tried to use the mohpie battery case, but yeah, was basically like carrying a brick around. All that said, I went with simplicity and threw on a screen protector and am loving the simplicity of how small and light this phone feels again.

That said, with no case the camera lens seems to sit flush with the table or whatever I place the phone on. Is the back camera cover more susceptible to scratches, does it need to be babied extra, or can I just place the phone down and not get all worried? This is something new to me, and with a camera this great I dont want to risk it.

You can get these skins from dbrand.com $1 for 2 plus shipping.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Attachments

• download_20150609_184828.jpg
    download_20150609_184828.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 125

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've found that unless the camera lens glass on any phone is covered, it becomes scratched. I don't understand why the manufacturers don't add built-in covers of some sort.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
No one would ever buy a point and shot digital camera that didn't have a lens cover, so why would phones leave the lens unprotected, especially since a lot of people put their phones in pockets? I guess the answer is having a mechanical cover wouldn't be practical, or would be too expensive, or too easy to damage from pulling out of your pocket, or attract too much dust.. I would have thought the camera lens would be made out of, or have a protective outer cover made from Gorilla Glass like screens. Easiest solution would be a case with a flat, rubbery plug that covered the lens port.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
No one would ever buy a point and shot digital camera that didn't have a lens cover, so why would phones leave the lens unprotected, especially since a lot of people put their phones in pockets? I guess the answer is having a mechanical cover wouldn't be practical, or would be too expensive, or too easy to damage from pulling out of your pocket, or attract too much dust.. I would have thought the camera lens would be made out of, or have a protective outer cover made from Gorilla Glass like screens. Easiest solution would be a case with a flat, rubbery plug that covered the lens port.

I have had many many phones in the last 3 years and whilst i agree that this is something that perhaps warrants attention. I have never had any issue with any of my devices owned but i do baby them i guess 😜

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have had many many phones in the last 3 years and whilst i agree that this is something that perhaps warrants attention. I have never had any issue with any of my devices owned but i do baby them i guess ??????

Same here. I never scratched a camera lens on a phone (yet...).

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I never scratched a camera lens on a phone (yet...).

Yeh i just tend to treat my phones as i would any other thing i have paid a high price for (with care & respect) i value my devices owned so tend not to throw them down on any surface or do anything else untoward lol yes accidents happen but that is down to owner and not manufacturer 😜

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Ordered 2 today. Thank you. For the price it was definitely worth a try. I'm probably being extra careful but I've never used a phone before without a case where the camera lens sits even with its back and whatever surface you place it on

falc39

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm paranoid so I would do something about it. Makes you wonder though about all the people with iPhone and Galaxy S6 with a protruding camera and how they deal with it...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Did the OP get the info that they needed?

Case
Screen protector
Bumpers
Insurance
Be careful

Enough said

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC One M9

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Did the OP get the info that they needed?

Case
Screen protector
Bumpers
Insurance
Be careful

Enough said

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC One M9

I did, thank you. Two $1 lens covers purchased. The be careful part...i dont think anyone intentionally sets out to damage a new phone they paid $600 for, hence the term "accident" lol. Im sadly not perfect enough to prevent all possible situations where a phone could accidentally get damaged

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - Some posts have been cleaned. Please use the report button if you see a post that is out of line so the mod team can handle it.

Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: when a user is asking for help, if you cannot help then there is no need to post anything. Trolling is a waste of everyone's time and when you do it to members seeking assistance you're violating every aspect of PUPPAH and bringing the forums down. I have to say that we have no room for that sort of nonsense. Shape up or ship on out.

OP, sorry for the experience you had in this thread. I'm glad a few sincere folks were able to lend a hand.

Thanks for your understanding.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you moderators. In the end i got the part i was looking for, and really cheap as well. Much appreciated the helpful advice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95