Why does my LG G4 running Android 6.0 have terrible battery life?

A

AC Question

Hello! I have an LG G4 from Verizon and after updating to Marshmallow (and even a little before then) my battery life has significantly declined. My phone used to get me through a full day and was fantastic but lately it has been terrible. I have no way of knowing for sure what is using my battery because the battery section of the settings isn't showing everything that is using my battery I think. I use the Google now launcher (and I would like to keep it that way 😊 ) and I just need some help please.

MikeDeTiger

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why is my LG G4 running Android 6.0 have terrible battery life?

I don't have anything helpful for you, but I got MM this morning, and it seems there's been a small but noticeable dip in battery efficiency today. I went through all settings that seemed relevant to make sure they were all the same as I set them, and I keep my G4 relatively battery friendly. I have read that MM was actually supposed to increase battery life. It's a very small sample size so far, so I'll keep checking, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

bigdave757

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Wish I could help. My battery life has been 100x better

Posted via the Android Central App

revelations65

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

I am on o2 here in the UK since the update the battery life has been brutal. I have done everything read every bit of advise but I am getting around 7 hours intially I was getting more then double
There is an issue no one is willing to admit it

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

I've been on MM for a week now (T Mobile) and my battery life dropped by 50%, not exaggerating. I did a factory reset, turned off WiFi calling, VoLTE; nothing has helped at all. Cell standby is now always the top battery user (generally between 25% and 43%), where before, I don't even remember ever seeing it on the list.

I just installed GSAM battery monitor to see if I can get more insight into finding out the cause. It's encouraging to hear that others are seeing a great improvement. It's bad enough that I will have to replace the phone with something else if I can't find it, as I'm not about to be tethered to a charger or be required to carry 2 spare batteries to make it through a normal day.

dblcup

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I updated last night and my battery life was so much better today. Pretty awesome actually.

bigdave757

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

If you have Facebook or Facebook messagner, delete it. It kills the battery

mistertee123

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site

Allen Brandt:
Same problem here (H815 international version). The battery drains even in Airplane mode so I don't think it's caused by cell standby. I was going to try a factory reset, but as you've tried it I don't hold out too much hope that it's going to work.

So it seems the options are to root the phone and reflash Lollipop, or return the phone to LG.

Connorlucky

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Hello! I have an LG G4 from Verizon and after updating to Marshmallow (and even a little before then) my battery life has significantly declined. My phone used to get me through a full day and was fantastic but lately it has been terrible. I have no way of knowing for sure what is using my battery because the battery section of the settings isn't showing everything that is using my battery I think. I use the Google now launcher (and I would like to keep it that way 😊 ) and I just need some help please.
Hello! Thank you so much for the suggestions. For some reason it's fixed now? I haven't changed anything but my screen on time today is close to three hours with still fifty percent battery left. Maybe snapchat, and using the camera drains my battery?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Updated today...sheesh...getting killed on battery life...killed...I mean destroyed. Already at 10% and I've been home all day, done nothing on the phone, wifi at home so no roaming. I knew I shouldn't have updated.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

Just changed the battery. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not hopeful, though

SIOP

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I waited a week after upgrading to do the factory reset (this morning) but initial indications are that the battery life still sucks.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

I did the same as SIOP: waited a week before the factory reset. Replacing the battery did not help either

I just did what I never thought I would do: backed the phone down to Lollipop (5.1). Not hard and does not require a rooted phone, as mine is not. Now I have to see what happens after it settles down a bit. Wasted way too much time on this

Nunya Biz1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Allen, I had a different equally frustrating problem. 2 weeks ago my battery life went completely South. Did the factory reset and battery life doubled. It was awesome. Then I upgraded to Mm and I'm back to the mediocre battery life. And I've done another factory reset.
How'd did you get back to lollipop??

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

There's a program you can download, LGUP, which will connect to your phone. Then you need the KDZ file with the operating system. I have the T-Mobile one (H81110N.KDZ, which is Android 5.1) if you need it, otherwise, look on the XDA site for a stock file for your version.

You connect the phone using the LGUP program, click on the three dots to find the system file you downloaded, and let it do it's thing. Since I used the LG backup program right before the MM upgrade, I was able to restore most of the data and settings without much hassle. Does not require a rooted phone or anything special, and it did not kill my corporate access which checks these things.

I'm sure it's an app that incompatible with MM, and I'm starting to think it's the Blackberry services that are running on my phone. Kept the cell standby as the number one battery user, and I see that the phone works differently on the BB side between 5.1 and MM.

Now that it's been 12 hours since I downgraded, I still have 75% of battery life, and the phone is back to being a cold glass and leather slab instead of a hand warmer.

Fingers crossed

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Day 1 with MM was an epic fail. Battery ran out by afternoon and I was at home with great wifi signal. Cell Standby was the biggest user of battery power at 30%...pathetic. This is the thing about Android that is totally frustrating, no...I'm not jumping off a cliff and going to iBrainwash but one shouldn't have to f around with your phone after an update. I like to tinker to a point, but to someone who doesn't give a hoot about messing with these things it should be an unacceptable aspect of the Android experience.

Day 2 hopefully turns out better than yesterday. I need this thing to perform properly, it is my work portal and important to my business life that it doesn't crap out on me half way through the day.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

Day 1 with MM was an epic fail. Battery ran out by afternoon and I was at home with great wifi signal. Cell Standby was the biggest user of battery power at 30%...pathetic. This is the thing about Android that is totally frustrating, no...I'm not jumping off a cliff and going to iBrainwash but one shouldn't have to f around with your phone after an update. I like to tinker to a point, but to someone who doesn't give a hoot about messing with these things it should be an unacceptable aspect of the Android experience.

Day 2 hopefully turns out better than yesterday. I need this thing to perform properly, it is my work portal and important to my business life that it doesn't crap out on me half way through the day.

Same problem: I'm getting tired of needing to mess with the phone after an update or anything changes. It just needs to work. And while I like the flexibility and customization of Android, this might have put me over the top. I've now spent two weeks messing with the phone and settings, and so far, the only way I've stabilized the phone was to downgrade back to lollipop. It might be where my G4 stays until I upgrade

mistertee123

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site

Ok, so I was all set to do a factory reset and revert to Lollipop, when suddenly today my battery life is much better. Almost as it was before Marshmallow. I haven't changed anything so I can only assume that LG have pushed out some sort of silent update. (H815 international version). I'll post back here if anything changes.

SIOP

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is insane. I'm using almost 1% per minute despite a factory reset and clearing the cache, turning off apps, etc. I really liked this phone before Marshmallow, I hope they figure out a fix soon. Now the S7 is really looking good. It's 7:30 am and I've already used 42, no 43, no 44 percent of my battery. And I haven't done much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38