Reborn vs. Drew's CM7

AvantGuard

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok here's the deal...

I really like Reborn ROM, but I kind of want to take the plunge into CM. My issue is, if I brick my phone again, my wife and I "decided" (after my last brick) that I have to get a punishment phone as a replacement. That means a feature phone... I'll be lucky if it has an outer screen, and Android would be GONE for the foreseeable future. Not good.

My questions are these: What differences/improvements would I see if I moved over to the CM7 port? Is anything lacking (I knew there had been some Bluetooth and MMS issues in the past)? How stable is it?

I HATE starting these kinds of threads b/c I know these things have been answered elsewhere. I just can't take the time to read the ENTIRE CM7 thread b/c the anticipation is eating away at me!

Thanks for your input!

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok here's the deal...

I really like Reborn ROM, but I kind of want to take the plunge into CM. My issue is, if I brick my phone again, my wife and I "decided" (after my last brick) that I have to get a punishment phone as a replacement. That means a feature phone... I'll be lucky if it has an outer screen, and Android would be GONE for the foreseeable future. Not good.

My questions are these: What differences/improvements would I see if I moved over to the CM7 port? Is anything lacking (I knew there had been some Bluetooth and MMS issues in the past)? How stable is it?

I HATE starting these kinds of threads b/c I know these things have been answered elsewhere. I just can't take the time to read the ENTIRE CM7 thread b/c the anticipation is eating away at me!

Thanks for your input!
I am running drew's experimental rom ex-6 and I must say its pretty stable. I have mms issues but no other issues to state at the moment. Best rom I've used so far.

sent from my Cyanogen Optimus

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ran both. Not much different. Reborn is soooo good. Themes are better for reborn Imo. Reborn more stable for me. Cm7 is more tweakable.

My wi-fi is more stable in reborn. Reboot time is a lot slower on cm7

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

the_mastermind

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I ran both and i'm sticking with cm7. The lastest stable version is great and i dont think there are too many issues as before. it runs smooth and definitely more tweakable than reborn. i have a ton of internal storage now and my battery life is much better than when i was on reborn.

if you want to more tweakability i would suggest going to cm7. Reborn is definitely a solid rom, but the gingerbread aspect + cm7 mods im sold on.

If you make an nadroid backup you shouldnt have to worry about bricking your phone.

kernelsandirs#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I was on reborn, switched to Drew's CM7 stable 2 build, and I love it it feels snapier, I get more storage internally, and the extra cyanogenmod settings are great. just waiting for 7.1.0.3 now :)

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Reborn is soooo good. Themes are better for reborn Imo. Reborn more stable for me. Cm7 is more tweakable.

IMO there are more good themes for Reborn, but there are a few themes for CM that are FANTASTIC and extremely complete.

Reborn is the most stable rom I have used, it almost seems bullet proof. CM is very stable if properly installed, but for some people for whatever reason it seems like there are minor bugs that can't be explained why they're happening.

CM is much much more customizable. The tweaks it allows you to do are incredible, and will make you want to overlook any bugs, if you even have any. Everything except boot up is much faster, more responsive, as well.

Battery life is comparable. For me, Reborn was slightly better. Some people claim to consistently get crazy hours (20+) from CM but its never happened for me. For anybody that surfs the web using 3G a lot or plays games, I don't see how its possible.

I've run both, a lot. You can't go wrong with either one. Super stability VS customization. Right now I'm on CM and have no foreseeable plans on switching.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine reborn can seriously compete with cm7 especially with drew's which is loaded with goodies. I only ran drew's for a day but for that day I didn't have a single bug outside of battery draining faster than mc hammers bank account in 1992 LOL. But even that battrety issue was my own fault as ive learned a few things since (thanks again bakethis) But mms worked fine for Me. Also if I were you I'd get insurance on my phone and if you brick it "accidentally" drop it in the sink or toilet and say its water damaged which if it actually was it would be bricked anyway. Pay the $50 and maybe listen to your wife at that point because she might have a point then lmao. My future wife could never get me to agree to that deal LOL. (Well I should probably not say never. Women have their ways of making us do things LOL)

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
We're comparing apples and oranges here. Reborn is based on official LG/Sprint software and CM7 is not.

From a developer's POV, CM7 offers greater modification flexibility (meaning you can directly modify the source rather than some convoluted dalvik code) and can adjust things much more easily.

However, building a ROM based on officially released software offers (in my opinion) a more stable platform to modify, and you generally don't need to worry about certain hardware not functioning properly.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine reborn can seriously compete with cm7 especially with drew's which is loaded with goodies. I only ran drew's for a day but for that day I didn't have a single bug outside of battery draining faster than mc hammers bank account in 1992 LOL. But even that battrety issue was my own fault as ive learned a few things since (thanks again bakethis) But mms worked fine for Me. Also if I were you I'd get insurance on my phone and if you brick it "accidentally" drop it in the sink or toilet and say its water damaged which if it actually was it would be bricked anyway. Pay the $50 and maybe listen to your wife at that point because she might have a point then lmao. My future wife could never get me to agree to that deal LOL. (Well I should probably not say never. Women have their ways of making us do things LOL)

Don't speak too soon. lol. You are right. Women have their ways. That's all I'm saying... :-X ;)

And, OP, if you flash a gingerbread rom (CM7) after having Reborn on your phone and vice versa, you may experience weird issues if you don't properly clear the system with this file after wiping data, cache, dalvik, system: http://db.tt/SI1Vwx2 then flash the rom and gapps and anything else.

Also, if you want to have better battery life, flash this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...hacks/102280-mod-collin_ph-battery-tweak.html No configuration required! :D

cboekhoven

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I know it has been state once or twice before in the thread already but Im just looking out and trying to prevent you from sleeping on the couch and having to get a feature phone. Make a nandroid of your current setup and if you bootloop or somthing and semi brick the phone you can always revert back to it and thus saving you from crap phones. Also sprint is allowing people to sign up for insurance outside the 30 day window through the end of august. Sounds like a good way for you to go right about meow.

I have run both reborn, CM7 Drew's, as well as, nRom, thunderom, scott pilgrim, shell, slide, etc. Ive tried them all basically. I have ended up bouncing from Reborn to Drew's CM7 on a regular basis.

CM7 is like its been said is tweakable. You can tweak most everything about the phone possible to achieve maximum performance and battery drain, the opposite, or ride in the middle. Personally I lean slightly off center towards battery life.

I like Reborn because the themes are nicer about 95% of the time, with the exception of some CM7 themes that are amazing if you can find the scarce few designed for our MDPI screens. And like Drew kindly pointed out, most everything will work and be stable on Reborn because of the source.

I say run the nandroid, do a complete and proper wipe, and then flash Drew's CM7 stable-002. Get to know how to run that as much as you like, then if you like it, make a nandroid of your favorite setup of CM7 and then you can flash between Reborn and CM7 as much as you would like.

PrimeOne1

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you should man up. Take off your wife's panties and tell her your running the show from now on. Just kidding. Really though I've flashed so many roms without a problem. I don't even know how one can brick a phone. Unless you haven't studied the forums enough or you're doing something you really really shouldn't be doing. Anyway reborn is a very nice rom props to Nick. However I would never go back. Drew's cm7 build is amazing. I can't say enough good things. There:'('s only 3 problems I can think of with drew's current build. Vvm is broken. You can't update prl and I hate the gingerbread keyboard. All very minor issues really with definite workarounds. I notice people complain about the themes. Maybe they forget that adw launcher has pages and pages of free themes to download in the market. Regardless as long as drew keeps working hard and releasing new updates. I'm going to keep rolling with cm7. Also remember this a great man once said. With great risk comes great rewards.

bklyn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok here's the deal...

Thanks for your input!
As others have noted, if you make a nandroid of Reborn and then follow Drew's installation instructions to the letter, you have nothing to worry about.

I've gone back and forth between the two--went back to Reborn last night. CM7 is a lot of fun and I enjoy exploring everything you can do with it. It is much faster--I typically get Quadrant benchmark scores around 950 with a high of 1138, while Reborn scores are around 550. However, I personally haven't noticed much practical advantage from the increased speed. I'm not much of a gamer, so I can't don't know if increased speed helps with that. As far a reading books on the Kindle app, there is no improvement in the slight lag when turning pages.

CM7 is quite stable, but you will need to spend a fair amount of time getting it configured the way you want it. My battery life is better on CM7 while others have found the opposite to be the case.

Reborn is rock solid and makes this a great little phone. I've decided that it is the best rom for me when I'm busy and don't feel like experimenting with CM7.

psaurus81

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to CM7 from reborn and like others have said, both are great. That said, I don't see myself switching back anytime soon. CM7 is just so much faster than anything else out there and now that I've got everything set up the way I like it, I'm enjoying the experience much more. My battery life is about 20% better over the course of the day on CM7 as well.

Reborn is a great ROM nonehteless, something I notice every time I use my wife's stock Optimus for anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non