The V30 rumoured battery: Disappointment or a non issue?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also on the bezel front... ithe Pixel XL has a surface area of 18.15 sq in and a display that is 12.93 sq in, meaning that it has a total of 5.22 sq in of bezels. The V20 has an area of 19.31 sq in with a display area of 13.8 sq in, meaning it has a total of 5.43 sq in of bezels. So the Pixel has "giant bezels", yet the V20 has 4% larger bezels.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Also on the bezel front... ithe Pixel XL has a surface area of 18.15 sq in and a display that is 12.93 sq in, meaning that it has a total of 5.22 sq in of bezels. The V20 has an area of 19.31 sq in with a display area of 13.8 sq in, meaning it has a total of 5.43 sq in of bezels. So the Pixel has "giant bezels", yet the V20 has 4% larger bezels.

But there's a 2nd screen on the V20. The Pixel has giant empty spaces that could've been used for something like buttons, FPS, front facing speakers, etc. LG has always emphasized smaller bezels on all their phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But there's a 2nd screen on the V20. The Pixel has giant empty spaces that could've been used for something like buttons, FPS, front facing speakers, etc. LG has always emphasized smaller bezels on all their phones.

The bezels are used for something. There's electronic components behind the Bezels.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I for one am a bit disappointed in hearing that the V30 will most likely be sporting a 3200mAh battery. It being 100mAh smaller than the upcoming Note 8 is in my book a non event, however that does give Samsung bragging rights that they in fact have the bigger battery. The common thought is that the 835 will run more efficiently and fast charging eliminates the need for large batteries, however it seems like we are going backwards these days or at least staying the same when it comes to battery size.

While I don't think its enough to keep me from buying it if everything else about the phone says buy, buy, buy, it certainly puts a dent in the hopes I had for at least 3500mAh.

The other uncertainty or lack of faith I'm seeing is the P-OLED screen. Some are already expressing hesitancy because LG supposedly had issues with that type of screen in the past. I guess time will tell if these or other features make for a decent phone.

Some reviews say that 2700 mAh and a Snapdragon 835 can still be a one day use phone. 3200 is OK for the V30.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

because there's nothing underneath those empty, hallow spaces.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sure the Pixel may be fast, but it's lacking so much basic features that a heavy Android user would want, there's no way I'll get it. I never even owned it because I wasn't going to waste my time with something I don't want. Removal of the headphone jack on the Pixel 2 was the nail in the coffin. Goodbye Google/Nexus.

LG phones are fast, there's no argument there. Now you wanna see side by side speed tests, there's a guy on YouTube that does all that.

That's fine. The V10 and V20 are niche. Based on the leaks so far, to me it looks like the V30 is maturing - shedding previous features that the masses don't make buying decisions on.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I too prefer a replaceable battery but it looks like those of us that care are fighting a losing battle. How long can we hold onto our current phones before we have to go the sealed route? I don't think at this point its coming back. Its happening to laptops too although most of them can be opened up with minor to no surgery.

Stock up on batteries. No need to upgrade.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's fine. The V10 and V20 are niche. Based on the leaks so far, to me it looks like the V30 is maturing - shedding previous features that the masses don't make buying decisions on.

HTC 11, S8, G6, V30, what's the difference? All phones are pretty much similar now. It's like selling burgers and no vegetarian options. You're forcing vegetarians to eat burgers. Variety and choices are needed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel has giant empty spaces that could've been used for something like buttons

I definitely have no interest in any buttons on the front. That's a feature that died in 2011 and it took until 2017 for Samsung to catch up to the times. LG was early to get onto the trend of getting rid of those archaic blemishes on the faces of our devices. Why on earth would anyone want to bring that nonsense back? It sucked before, it would still suck now.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
HTC 11, S8, G6, V30, what's the difference? All phones are pretty much similar now. It's like selling burgers and no vegetarian options. You're forcing vegetarians to eat burgers. Variety and choices are needed.

You can't tell the difference between those devices? There's a HUGE variety there - you have to look past the ugly glass bodies though.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Also, don't say Samsung is fast. It's not thanks to the bloated TouchWiz. Don't get me started with the curved design.
Its funny you call Touchwiz slow and bloated, the fact is it's actually not. Especially on the S8 series. And the curved design is subjective, some find it ugly or hard to deal with...most like it (sales numbers).

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Its funny you call Touchwiz slow and bloated, the fact is it's actually not. Especially on the S8 series. And the curved design is subjective, some find it ugly or hard to deal with...most like it (sales numbers).

Does the s8 actually perform well? I skipped Sammy devices so far this year, so I've actually been wondering if they got their act together on the software front. My s7e is terribly janky compared to my v20, but i was hoping they could actually make a phone run smoothly with the 835.

I'm still pretty sure I'm just gonna hold onto my v20 for the foreseeable future, but i have two upgrades available right now and i know the note 8 and v30 will probably be tempting...

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Every review that I have seen mentions "stutters" and some "UI lag". I think Samsung phones are great, but they simply are often a bit less "smooth" than devices with a note minimal skin. It's a trade-off, me features, a bit of a bit on performance.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Does the s8 actually perform well? I skipped Sammy devices so far this year, so I've actually been wondering if they got their act together on the software front. My s7e is terribly janky compared to my v20, but i was hoping they could actually make a phone run smoothly with the 835.

I'm still pretty sure I'm just gonna hold onto my v20 for the foreseeable future, but i have two upgrades available right now and i know the note 8 and v30 will probably be tempting...
I used the S7E before moving on to the S8 and now the S8 Plus. My S7E was an Exynos variant and though it was slow sometimes, it wasn't consistently slow or janky. To it's defense, I have seen the same behavior with the Nexus 6P and the 5X.

Every review that I have seen mentions "stutters" and some "UI lag". I think Samsung phones are great, but they simply are often a bit less "smooth" than devices with a note minimal skin. It's a trade-off, me features, a bit of a bit on performance.

Yeah but they aren't as slow as they used to be in the past. Not anymore.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I used the S7E before moving on to the S8 and now the S8 Plus. My S7E was an Exynos variant and though it was slow sometimes, it wasn't consistently slow or janky. To it's defense, I have seen the same behavior with the Nexus 6P and the 5X.

True

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I definitely have no interest in any buttons on the front. That's a feature that died in 2011 and it took until 2017 for Samsung to catch up to the times. LG was early to get onto the trend of getting rid of those archaic blemishes on the faces of our devices. Why on earth would anyone want to bring that nonsense back? It sucked before, it would still suck now.

Capacitive buttons are the best option. On-screen buttons take up screen real estate, are subject to burn-in, and they're just annoying to deal with.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

It has gotten better. But I'm seeing mostly S6 and some S7 lagging sometimes, don't know if that's normal. Too early to tell about the S8, it does have a crap load more software like Bixby. Samsung phones are notorious for slowing down after OS updates. I'm seeing people asking how to downgrade their phones on forums because of the change in speed.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I don't know many that actually liked Touch Wiz. Samsung has included much more in their new phones like Bixby. I know the S8 is very speedy but only time will tell. I've used a S6 not too long ago and it was lagging like crazy, still had 3GB of RAM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty