Does the Moto Z have Quick Charge 2.0/3.0 support?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody found a third party wall and/or car charger that actually triggers the "turbo power" on screen notification? I really don't want to fork over $40 for the Motorola or Verizon branded ones. It looks like this phone does not officially support QC 2.0 or 3.0 according to spec sheets - which sucks because I have a lot of QC 2.0 chargers laying around from my Droid Turbo.
Bunch of us are in the same position. To make it worse Motorola customer service told me today the only chargers that will charge the battery mod are the supplied charger or a wireless charging pad.
Can't believe they didn't think of that being an issue.

ah42

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Bunch of us are in the same position. To make it worse Motorola customer service told me today the only chargers that will charge the battery mod are the supplied charger or a wireless charging pad.
Can't believe they didn't think of that being an issue.

Wow, I can't believe a regular wired charger won't charge the battery pack. That seems counter-intuitive. I have multiple Qi pads, so not an issue for me but for someone who hasn't invested in Qi this is a real issue.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe a regular wired charger won't charge the battery pack. That seems counter-intuitive. I have multiple Qi pads, so not an issue for me but for someone who hasn't invested in Qi this is a real issue.
I came from original turbo so never had a wireless charging need. Guess I do now if I plan to keep the mod. Any recommendations on Qi wireless pads. Theres just so many with so many different prices. Thanks.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Verizon sells a car charger.
I have to admit I was wrong. Went to local store and the Verizon usb c vehicle charger with fast charge WILL charge the moto mod battery. Here's a screen shot for proof.

On top of that the wall charger usb c with fast charge technology will do the same. I tested that one in the store.

So thank you for sparking my interest and I drove to the store to test them out.
1470961548285.jpg

James Appleton1

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site

It doesn't work... I have Cheotech and Revfun Qualcomm 2.0 & 3.0 chargers left from my Droid Turbo 2 and neither works. However, I found that the USB Quick Charge 3.0 Aukey Amp Type-C Dual Port with a Cable Matters USB Type C (USB C) 6.6 feet cable does engage Turbo Charging. The stock Aukey USB-C to USB-C doesn't work at all though... Not even to slow charge.

James Appleton1

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Normal ports? Like computer USB? Those only put out half an amp, and are terrible for charging in general. If it was a different charger, what was the amperage rating of the charger?

I don't connect to pc usb ports. I use dedicated multiport chargers with QC 2.0 or now 3.0 ports. Some by Anker and Choetech.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This using a usb c to usb 3.0 cable I bought off Amazon.

For those that are not aware of this issue, be very, very careful about the USB C cables that you buy online; many of them can be dangerous to your phone (think Note 7.) It may be that Amazon is only selling safe cables now, but there was a time when they were selling many that were dangerous. An engineer at Google named Benson Leung spent a lot of time in the last year evaluating many cables and power adapters for safety. This web site does a good job of showing those that are safe: https://usbccompliant.com

tgambitg

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to clear things up, The Moto Z line doesn't use any variation of Qualcomm's QuickCharge, it uses the USB Power Delivery 2.0 spec, which was introduced with USB 3.1 and USB-C concurrently. The two steppings of power that the Moto Z line uses are 15W on the 5V line and 27W on the 9V line.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the Anker 3.3' USB-C to USB 3.0 to connect to my MacBook Air. Now I just need to figure out how to get the MacBook to recognize the phone.

N2Wind

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I have to admit I was wrong. Went to local store and the Verizon usb c vehicle charger with fast charge WILL charge the moto mod battery. Here's a screen shot for proof.

On top of that the wall charger usb c with fast charge technology will do the same. I tested that one in the store.

So thank you for sparking my interest and I drove to the store to test them out.
View attachment 234765

From what I read, you can use any charger but the supplied charger will charge the phone and mod simultaneously but others will charged the phone to 100% before charging the mod.

hendra hida

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
have anyone try use Quick Charger 2.0 + USB to USB type C on Moto Z...??
what brand USB to type C cable will support Turbo Charger??

i have several Quick Charger 2.0 (Aukey & Tronsmart) unused since i got the Moto Z Play,
have tryed several USB to type C cable, and most of them not support Turbo Charger

also i have Turbo Charger 15W & 25W from Motorola Droid turbo 1 & 2, which adapter (Micro usb to type c) will support Turbo Charger?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

i have several Quick Charger 2.0 (Aukey & Tronsmart) unused since i got the Moto Z Play,
have tryed several USB to type C cable, and most of them not support Turbo Charger

also i have Turbo Charger 15W & 25W from Motorola Droid turbo 1 & 2, which adapter (Micro usb to type c) will support Turbo Charger?

See this thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=706935

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Turbo charging ONLY works with type-C. That could be the hardwired charger that comes with it, or many of the aftermarket type C chargers, with a type-c to type-c cable (as described in the thread that Ry linked to). None of the USB-A to USB-C cables, or microUSB to type-c adapters are going to turbocharge.

Andreas Wiechmann

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
If anybody is still looking for a powerbank which provides TurboPower, you should look for the Vinsic Quick Charge Powerbank. Model Nr. is VSPB303. As an offer you can order it with a Vinsic USB to USB-C Cable for free. At least in Germany.
I paid 33,99€ for the 20000mah Model. I'm quite satisfied with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170621-195254.jpg
    Screenshot_20170621-195254.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20170621-213936.jpg
    Screenshot_20170621-213936.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20170621_214207047.jpg
    IMG_20170621_214207047.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 25

Derek Lubi

Aug 10, 2017
Visit site
Re: Does the Moto Z have Quick Charge 2.0 / 3.0 support?

Any USB charger with a type C cable will work, it's just a question of what rate it'll charge at.

That info is not correct... I purchased 5 cables through amazon and in addition 10 of the adapters.. none of them worked with my phone but they all worked with my gf's S8.. the post said it was a type C and advertising for a Nexus... So always double check I've found its a hit it miss. Even if u go expensive or cheap