Droid X is a bad phone because of Verizon's billing policies?

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been happy with my Droid X as a phone, but in the end it turned out to be a bad decision. No matter how good a phone is, you can get into some bad problems over their billing policies and end up very sorry choosing this phone.

Over the past few days, I spent over 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Verizon to fix a problem. I had started with a 450 minute plan, and when I realized I might go over those minutes, I called to go to a plan with 900 minutes for that month only.

What they DON'T tell you is that you can only do this EVERY OTHER month without substantial overage charges. The customer service rep won't even realize it to be able to warn you.

Two customer service reps had confusion over trying to understand the plan change policies, so you can imagine how the customer is never going to understand it all. I ended up with a supervisor who said that I had contested the policy as far as I can, and their bill is correct. But, I decided to call back one more time to make sure I understood their policies before I posted here. This time I ended with someone who was finally able to fix their error.

The policy causing all the confusion is that you can only make one change a month. You an also end up with TWO counts against you, without knowing it.

If you call to change to a higher minute plan, and then say you only wish to do it for the current month, that causes you to use up your permitted change for NEXT month. If you attempt to do it again next month, you will end up with a surprise overage charge on on your next bill.

It would take several more long paragraphs to explain all the intricacies and ramifications of how this plays out. I will be happy to elaborate further if you ask.

Joe Dunfee

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Why would the call to Verizon concern you because calls to Verizon should not be counted towards your minutes. I do understand the issue with communicating that seems to be a regular with a number of Verizon techs..

DK1102

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Your dilemma would have happened regardless of what phone you had. This is more an issue with selecting the wrong "minutes plan" for your needs.

This is correct. The Droid X is a great phone. Your problem has nothing to do with the phone and everything to do with user error.

Maybe try an iPhone. They are very simple to use i hear...

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
No offense, but that policy seems perfectly reasonable. Otherwise, we would all choose a low minute plan and then call and increase to a larger plan a la carte each and every month only as needed. That sounds great to you as a consumer but makes no sense to Verizon as a provider and a business. That would be like being able to go out and buy, or increase your coverage, on car insurance AFTER and accident to retroactively cover the accident you just had. It wouldn't work from a business perspective. If you are going over your minutes multiple months in a row, you should step and get a larger plan...or find a way to use fewer minutes....
I also agree with one of the previous posters: your issue has nothing to do with the Droid X itself. It has to do with using a cell phone, period.

droidxixis

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
No offense, but that policy seems perfectly reasonable. Otherwise, we would all choose a low minute plan and then call and increase to a larger plan a la carte each and every month only as needed. That sounds great to you as a consumer but makes no sense to Verizon as a provider and a business. That would be like being able to go out and buy, or increase your coverage, on car insurance AFTER and accident to retroactively cover the accident you just had. It wouldn't work from a business perspective. If you are going over your minutes multiple months in a row, you should step and get a larger plan...or find a way to use fewer minutes....
I also agree with one of the previous posters: your issue has nothing to do with the Droid X itself. It has to do with using a cell phone, period.

+1 well said

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
you going over your mins has nothing to do with the phone you are using being good or bad. Sounds to me like you should have a plan with more mins or pay the fee for going over.
My plan is for well over the amount I use it for, sure I could lower the plan and save $10 bucks but why would I want the hassle of worrying about how many mins I use

just looks like you got caught trying to cheat the system, I have done it with other things but never complain when I get caught and have to pay up.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The X is an outstanding phone and Verizon's plans as about as good as every other provider out there. The big difference being that Verizon has the 3G network coverage to back up the plan price.

Blaming them for your lack of understanding the plan you chose in relation to your calling needs makes as much sense as saying that your brand new car sucks because gas cost too much.

Reactions: droidnewbie2011

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I do now have the 900 minute plan set. I have never had problems with these sort of changes when I was on ATT. I really only would normally up my minutes in December when I travel.

But, my complaint was that their policies were not communicated to me, and not understood by their customer service reps, or their supervisors.

And while they didn't charge me for the 2 1/2 hours on the phone, I would much rather have spent the time another way.

Joe Dunfee

anon(41665)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am still curious what this has to do with the Droid X? The title of your post is misleading and naive at best.

The Droid X is most certainly not a bad phone.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The X is a great phone/mini-computer. Try using text or email to cut down your talk minutes. I agree with the above... Your phone call use has no connection to the X's integrity.

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What I had learned from my recent conflict with Verizon is that you cannot separate the phone from the carrier. When you buy a phone like a Droid, you are also binding yourself to Verizon. If your phone were to malfunction and make calls on its own and drive up your bill, that is equally as painful as your carrier's customer service malfunctioning and causing your bill to go up unexpectedly.

The "warranty" on my carrier only lasted 30 days. I wish I had some sort of extended warranty on my carrier right now, so I could exchange them for another carrier.

I realize that many will have a good experience with Verizon, and some people will have bad experiences with other carriers. But, learning about those things from forums like this is an important part of the decision making process. That is why I posted my story here.

Joe Dunfee

Last edited:

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, you signed a contract. Within that contract is spelled out literally everything in regard to your relationship with verizon. If you are so concerned about a policy issue, read in its entirety the policy you signed and entered into as a legally binding contract.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
What I had learned from my recent conflict with Verizon is that you cannot separate the phone from the carrier. When you buy a phone like a Droid, you are also binding yourself to Verizon. If your phone were to malfunction and make calls on its own and drive up your bill, that is equally as painful as your carrier's customer service malfunctioning and causing your bill to go up unexpectedly.

The "warranty" on my carrier only lasted 30 days. I wish I had some sort of extended warranty on my carrier right now, so I could exchange them for another carrier.

I realize that many will have a good experience with Verizon, and some people will have bad experiences with other carriers. But, learning about those things from forums like this is an important part of the decision making process. That is why I posted my story here.

Joe Dunfee

You still do not have a valid complaint. It was you who went over your minutes and now you are angry at Verizon. Furthermore, I do not even view this as a "bad experience" with Verizon, plain and simple "You" went over your minutes and now you expect some sort of recourse with Verizon. I hate to say it, but I am on Verizon's side on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38