Nexus 6P Microphone Problem

gcortes824

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
When I make calls, the other person can't hear me unless I'm on speakerphone. Also, when I'm using Google Now the phone doesn't seem to pick up my voice. Another weird thing is that when something is plugged into the headphone jack, like an AUX cord or headphones, the microphone DOES work. I tried restarting the phone in safe mode but that didn't fix it. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or a bug in the software. Is anyone else having this problem, or possibly know of a fix for this?

nikola80ser

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If I move my phone even slightly away from my mouth while on a phone call the other person can't hear a word I'm saying. I've returned one unit because of that and now it's the same with the second unit. Anyone else? Any fixes?

Posted via the Android Central App

kcoan3

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible that you guys are using cases that are blocking microphone ports? or noise canceling mic ports? Its weird that it works on speaker phone. That is telling me that it is engaging some different microphones.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible that you guys are using cases that are blocking microphone ports? or noise canceling mic ports? Its weird that it works on speaker phone. That is telling me that it is engaging some different microphones.

I was thinking the same. Call quality has been excellent for me. Of course there could be a batch of bad microphones floating around also...

nikola80ser

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have tried removing the case with no result. And again this is my second 6P. I'm someone who is using the phone for work and spend over 3 hours on phone calls every day. I love this phone but this thing with the call quality is killing it for me.

nikola80ser

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh one more thing not sure if this is related or not, but when on car bluetooth sometimes when I make phone call it fires up music on Spotify and I have to hang up kill the Spotify app and make a call again. If I'm listening to Spotify and make phone call this doesn't happen but if I have recently used Spotify and put the music on pause as soon as I make the call the music starts and dial tone and music overlaps.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just set up an RMA with Google Store because of a microphone problem. Speakerphone and BT headset worked fine but the mic dropped out intermittently when I used it in handheld mode. Google support made me do a factory data reset but it didn't help, so apparently a hardware issue.

gcortes824

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I just set up an RMA with Google Store because of a microphone problem. Speakerphone and BT headset worked fine but the mic dropped out intermittently when I used it in handheld mode. Google support made me do a factory data reset but it didn't help, so apparently a hardware issue.

Same, they sent me steps to attempt to fix it, which included a factory reset, but to no avail. They shipped the replacement yesterday and I should be receiving the new phone today. Hopefully there won't be any problems this time around.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

And that's the right thing to do. I had an M8 that did that, too. (And I hope that Google's RMA process is better than AT&T's was for that.)

vituminx

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here. No case on the phone, had the phone right next to my face in a fixed position and it kept cutting out. Disconnected and reconnected the call to ensure it wasn't a connection issue and after 2 minutes of talking it continued to the point we had to hang up. This was on normal handset mode, did not try speakerphone. I'm hesitant to RMA if it is like this for all phones.

Anyone else have success?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Call quality and signal reception are part of the battery of tests I run on every new phone and mine passed. If you've eliminated outside factors that might be interfering with your call quality like being in a poor signal location, cases, etc then I'd consider RMA.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
In my case it was interesting that the unit worked fine in speakerphone mode but exhibited the problem in handheld mode. I assume it's the same microphone. Since FDR didn't solve the problem I'd be curious what the underlying problem could be. Maybe something to do with the noise cancellation circuitry?

Bogdan Cute

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem but I've noticed that it only happens when by mistake i cover the back microphone (i belive the noise cancellation one) every time the other person complain that it can't hear me i realised the back microphone was covered with my finger wich for me it's a natural way of holding the phone. Anf it's really frustrating that i can't hold the phone the way I want to. Every time you have yo do something that involved both hand and you keep your phone on your shoulder it happens again.

When I make calls, the other person can't hear me unless I'm on speakerphone. Also, when I'm using Google Now the phone doesn't seem to pick up my voice. Another weird thing is that when something is plugged into the headphone jack, like an AUX cord or headphones, the microphone DOES work. I tried restarting the phone in safe mode but that didn't fix it. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or a bug in the software. Is anyone else having this problem, or possibly know of a fix for this?

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
And that's the right thing to do. I had an M8 that did that, too. (And I hope that Google's RMA process is better than AT&T's was for that.)

Google Store was great about the RMA. My only complaint(s) is that they made me do a factory reset to ensure it wasn't software and it took them an extra couple days to ship, probably I guess because of low stock. It also would have been nice if they offered free overnight shipping instead of the typical free 3-5 day shipping (I paid $18 extra for overnight). I don't really blame them for wanting us to do an FDR but it means two phone calls to Google and a bunch of extra time for something that's pretty obviously a hardware issue.

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Same problem...

People can't hear me or say I sound "muffled."

Ugh - this is infuriating. Just got my 6P this week. I guess I need to open an RMA.

lenfru

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had this issue and received a replacement that resolved the problem?

I have had my phone for a couple of weeks and my wife always mentions the bad (muffled) sound when I call her. I am just curious if a warranty exchange could resolve it.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Same problem...

People can't hear me or say I sound "muffled."

Ugh - this is infuriating. Just got my 6P this week. I guess I need to open an RMA.

Has anyone had this issue and received a replacement that resolved the problem?

I have had my phone for a couple of weeks and my wife always mentions the bad (muffled) sound when I call her. I am just curious if a warranty exchange could resolve it.

Try covering the back (noise canceling) mic with your finger while on the call. Mine improves 10X when I do this. I believe it is an over-aggressive noise canceling software issue.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone had the issue fixed with a replacement? Because this is getting very annoying, I cannot put the phone on my shoulders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy