09-22-2015 01:20 PM
6,009 ... 195196197198199 ...
tools
    ^^
    Sure, there are recommendations everywhere, but the question is if things like "480 min 768 max" make sense as recommendation when it is individual to each phone. Some readers will follow such recommendations, believing they are "good settings" and not understanding the nature of overclocking.

Two notches below stable is not a bad recommendation. But an even better recommendation is NOT to overclock at all until you've seen that your ROM runs stable.

Oh, and don't even get me started with the "480 uses the same juice as everything below" myth. It's same voltage, yes, but still higher draw. Try and run your phone at constant 480 vs 245 and see how long it runs. There's math and physics involved here.

That said, I run 480 min, 768 max myself. I drop max to 600 when I download apps or ROMs or perform backup etc, anything critical with data.

Sorry, rant over
    03-27-2012 12:10 AM
    Oh, and don't even get me started with the "480 uses the same juice as everything below" myth. It's same voltage, yes, but still higher draw. Try and run your phone at constant 480 vs 245 and see how long it runs. There's math and physics involved here.

Sorry, rant over
    480 is only meant as a starting point, and yes, high mhz means more amp draw, but it's minimal compared to the change from 480-600.

It's a starting point because starting too low just means you will spike, better to be a bit high and avoid the spike. People tend to want to start as low as possible, often too low (how many times have you seen people claim 122), by starting them at 480, it helps them understand how it works and is a much better method than just saying use the lowest.

I actually have a guide in the works that addresses this a bit more, it just needs to be finished.
    03-27-2012 12:26 AM
    ^^
    Agreed, 480 is a good starting point - and makes sense for many. I updated my post with my own settings to show that.

I should add that your posts on the subject have been wonderfully factual and reasonable, LeslieAnn. Thank you for that.

I'm just not sure people always understand the risks involved, they think faster is always better, they don't realize what subtle errors can cause.

Edit: yeah, of course 122 and such is silly.
    notown likes this.
    03-27-2012 12:35 AM
    Great ROM - one request though: can we have the phone identify whether the plugged in headset has a mic or not (i.e. 4-part vs 3-part plug) and enable the phone's mic if the headset doesn't have a mic (i.e. 3-part plug)?
    I'm on mrg666's latest iho build (2012-03-24). And can confirm that the mic works with headphones plugged in. Yay It surprised me when I did a voice search.
    03-27-2012 01:38 AM
    Yes, the issue we are trying to resolved is headset's without microphones. They do not allow the phone's mic to be used unless you press speaker phone, in which case the headset no longer works. So people cannot use various hand's free devices that do not have a built in mic, like car casette adaptors etc.
    a5pe4 likes this.
    03-27-2012 02:35 AM
    hey y'all, somewhat of a noob here. i searched and couldn't find answers to these questions, so feel free to point me to the right place and delete this if i'm being a dummy. i'm running the following:

cyanogenmod-7.0.0-RC0-BACKside-IHO-KANG
    eng.jerryscript.20120206.150516
    Build GWK74

i've had many issues with a current screen freezing, often when the stock keyboard is open. i will push the power button, which turns off the display, but when i push it once more (i.e. there should be a lock screen), it is the same screen as when i turned off the display. nothing short of a battery pull will fix it, so i'm doing 10 battery pulls a day which is not sustainable, and this obviouisly makes it very difficult to receive calls. any tips? i've tried to update via the BacksideUpdater, but when I hit the download link the mediafire page is 404 dead.
    Try updating to the latest build. There have been several fixes for screen freezes since the 0206 build, one of them may fix your issue.
    03-27-2012 02:37 AM
    ^^
    Agreed, 480 is a good starting point - and makes sense for many. I updated my post with my own settings to show that.

I should add that your posts on the subject have been wonderfully factual and reasonable, LeslieAnn. Thank you for that.

I'm just not sure people always understand the risks involved, they think faster is always better, they don't realize what subtle errors can cause.

Edit: yeah, of course 122 and such is silly.
    The tortoise wins the race so to speak )
    My bottom is set @ 320.
    been great and see no need to increase the bottom end whatsoever.
    03-27-2012 03:20 PM
    The tortoise wins the race so to speak )
    My bottom is set @ 320.
    been great and see no need to increase the bottom end whatsoever.
    Yes, whereas the Max setting depends entirely on each phone's individual tolerance (and temperature of your environment), the Min setting is determined by how you use your phone and how busy it is when idle.

If 320 or 245 is enough to keep background tasks running (music/streaming, email, Facebook sync etc), then you'll save battery at those settings. If it has to spike to Max all the time to finish those tasks, then you're better off with a higher Min setting. 480 is a good starting point, as LeslieAnn said, because above it voltage rises, causing exponential draw increase.
    03-27-2012 04:19 PM
    I run 122-864 with interactive governor, really responsive and great on battery life (3-4 days avg between charges). Interactive is simple and proven, it ramps up quickly to max to respond faster to user, then scales down lower when load is low.

Use an app like CPU Spy to do your own testing, the goal of a CPU governor is to spend as much time in the lowest frequency without sacrificing performance, which interactive does better than any other I've tested, including some of the more newer ones. Most new ones aren't well documented, claim to be better (but real tests are hard to find). Some of the fancy features like locking cpu when screen is off, is not really useful and can cause problems when apps need to do stuff with screen off. It theoretically only prevents a runnaway process from hogging cpu at 100% when screen is off by keeping it at a low one like 25%, when the real battery savings is from CPU going into deep idle state with screen off.
    03-27-2012 11:44 PM
    Thanks Whyzor, Interesting. I wouldn't have thought 122 was useful for anything. Do you play music on your phone, from SD card or streamed? I would expect Interactive to spike to Max much of the time because 122 is too low to keep the music playing.

Thanks again.
    03-28-2012 11:06 AM
    ^^^^ what you guys are saying is exactly opposite what Leslie Ann is saying: that the governors don't work with our processor and 122 is not usable. I'm so :veryconfused:

Sent via the Postal Service
    03-28-2012 11:30 AM
    ^^^^ what you guys are saying is exactly opposite what Leslie Ann is saying: that the governors don't work with our processor and 122 is not usable. I'm so :veryconfused:
    I don't think it conflicts with what LeslieAnn is saying: As I understand, she says to start with Min of 480 and work your way down.

As long as CPU spy shows that your phone stays at whatever you've chosen as your Min during most of its screen off time (when not in deep sleep), that means you're not spiking to Max unnecessarily. The lower you can go, the less battery you'll use - as long as the background tasks you're running don't force it to spike.

Again, CPU spy shows how much time is spent in each state. Most screen off time should be in deep sleep (unless you're playing music or something); otherwise you'll burn the battery very fast.

As far as I can see, the governors support all the speeds. I just never considered 122 useful since almost any little task will cause it to spike. With ondemand it will spike straight to Max. I believe the same is true for interactive (but responding even quicker than ondemand, hence its name). I've used smartassv2 which seems to use the entire register of speeds, with preference for 480 - which is indeed a "battery efficiency sweet spot" because above that amp draw increases faster.

Hope that clarifies some
    03-28-2012 01:29 PM
    I don't think it conflicts with what LeslieAnn is saying: As I understand, she says to start with Min of 480 and work your way down.

As long as CPU spy shows that your phone stays at whatever you've chosen as your Min during most of its screen off time (when not in deep sleep), that means you're not spiking to Max unnecessarily. The lower you can go, the less battery you'll use - as long as the background tasks you're running don't force it to spike.

Again, CPU spy shows how much time is spent in each state. Most screen off time should be in deep sleep (unless you're playing music or something); otherwise you'll burn the battery very fast.

As far as I can see, the governors support all the speeds. I just never considered 122 useful since almost any little task will cause it to spike. With ondemand it will spike straight to Max. I believe the same is true for interactive (but responding even quicker than ondemand, hence its name). I've used smartassv2 which seems to use the entire register of speeds, with preference for 480 - which is indeed a "battery efficiency sweet spot" because above that amp draw increases faster.

Hope that clarifies some
    Part of what you say here does indeed conflict with what LeslieAnn says. She says that our processor doesn't support 122MHz, but you seem to imply that it does.

So who's right here?

This space intentionally left blank.
    03-28-2012 02:44 PM
    It was around a year ago, but I believe it was Zefie (the guy who did all of the Xionia kernels, recoveries and a few roms), who determined that 122 was not actually working.

I'll take his word over most anyone regarding the processor speeds, he knows this and the Optimus S like the back of his hand.
    sellers86 likes this.
    03-28-2012 02:52 PM
    Does anybody else's phone begin freezing, lagging, and music pausing randomly after enabling dsp manager? I'm running the latest backside. All I did with dsp manager was enable the equalizer. I'm also overclocked to 480/806 but its been stable since IHO was created. Might that be the problem?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-28-2012 07:50 PM
    I use dsp all the time. Be sure your music player app doesn't also have an equalizer running.
    03-28-2012 08:26 PM
    The 3/24 build of mirage is working great. Very fast, and for the first time ever, not experiencing any rotation slowdowns after several days of uptime! I think disabling ICS rotations did the trick. I think ill stick with this build for a while.
    03-28-2012 09:10 PM
    I was using Play Music. Are you overclocked?

03-28-2012 09:15 PM
    What can I do to get the phone to be speedy.....?

The New OV I have can't go a day over 600. Even at 600 it still reboots. No matter what I do, -Reboot Reboot Reboot Freeze-.
    03-28-2012 09:17 PM
    What can I do to get the phone to be speedy.....?

The New OV I have can't go a day over 600. Even at 600 it still reboots. No matter what I do, -Reboot Reboot Reboot Freeze-.
    You're running backside?

Sent via the Postal Service
    03-28-2012 09:18 PM
    Part of what you say here does indeed conflict with what LeslieAnn says. She says that our processor doesn't support 122MHz, but you seem to imply that it does.

So who's right here?
    It was around a year ago, but I believe it was Zefie (the guy who did all of the Xionia kernels, recoveries and a few roms), who determined that 122 was not actually working.

I'll take his word over most anyone regarding the processor speeds, he knows this and the Optimus S like the back of his hand.
    OK, it looks like more clarification is needed:

1) I've never used 122 MHz myself, let alone advocated it (and I still don't). But since CPU Spy reports my phone spending time at that speed (Smartassv2 uses the full register of speeds as it ramps up from idle, even speeds below the Min setting) I've always assumed it to be a supported speed.

2) After seeing Whyzor's post, I decided to make some tests this afternoon, playing Pandora in my car while running some errands. There was a dramatic difference from 480 (my normal Min setting) down to 122: At 480 Pandora ran fluently, at 320 it sputtered a bit, at 245 it sputtered a lot, at 122 there is only a few cracks and pops and the UI becomes very unresponsive. I then decided to test Interactive governor as Whyzor recommended. Still at 122 Min, it basically caused the phone to lock up when trying to play Pandora. With screen on, the UI would suck all CPU. But even with screen off, it was almost completely dead. I had to pull the battery eventually as it didn't have enough CPU left to navigate away from Pandora. InteractiveX and OnDemand (the stock governor) were similar. Smartassv2 seemed to deal better with the low speed, as it ramps up based on CPU demand, whereas Interactive depends more on user action (Screen on) to ramp up.

3) Tonight (after seeing the responses to my last post ) I did some more scientific tests, running benchmarks at each speed. I disabled Screen timeout (to prevent idling) and used the Powersave governor to lock CPU speed at the Min setting. I verified with CPU Spy after each test to see that it did indeed lock and test at that CPU speed and no other speeds were in play. I used Raw CPU MFLOPS in StabilityTest 2.4.

Results:
    122MHz=1.7 MFLOPS
    245MHz=4.1 MFLOPS
    320MHz=4.1 MFLOPS
    480MHz=5.9 MFLOPS
    600MHz=10.0 MFLOPS
    729MHz=12.2 MFLOPS
    748MHz=12.6 MFLOPS
    768MHz=13.0 MFLOPS

The dramatic jump in score from 122 to 245 is surprising. Possibly other CPU or chipset functions get throttled at that setting to save battery, but I think at this low speed the waiticon and background processes consume a significant percentage of CPU cycles during the test. Even more surprising is that 245 and 320 yielded the same score, for which I have no explanation. I re-ran the tests multiple times to verify.

4) My conclusion remains that all of the speeds available in the menu are supported -- including 122, 245 and 320. Again, CPU Spy validates that. I don't know how Zefie arrived at his claim, but nothing in my tests indicate otherwise.

5) That said, I still consider 122 to be useless for my purposes though it may serve a purpose if you only have minor CPU limited processes running during Screen off. At 122 there is barely enough CPU to run the UI (certainly not with animations enabled).

6) As I wrote earlier, the goal is to have the phone enter deep sleep as much as possible during Screen off, only waking up briefly to receive email notications. As long as these tasks are CPU limited, it makes sense to have a higher Min setting, such as 480. The faster the CPU runs, the faster the tasks complete and the phone can go back to sleep.

7) Mmarz' famous tests from last spring/summer concluded that up to a certain point higher clock speeds yield higher "battery efficiency". (He spliced a multimeter in between the battery and his OV to measure total draw while completing certain tasks). But (as I believe he later acknowledged) this does not take into consideration that some tasks are time limited (reading a web page, listening to a symphony etc) and you want the processor to run as slowly as possible during this time only fast enough to support the task. That's why you choose Min setting based on your needs. Use CPU Spy to check it as I described in earlier posts.

OK, I hope this time at least I clarified more than I confused
    03-28-2012 09:33 PM
    OK, it looks like more clarification is needed:

1) I've never used 122 MHz myself, let alone advocated it (and I still don't). But since CPU Spy reports my phone spending time at that speed (Smartassv2 uses the full register of speeds as it ramps up from idle, even speeds below the Min setting) I've always assumed it to be a supported speed.

2) After seeing Whyzor's post, I decided to make some tests this afternoon, playing Pandora in my car while running some errands. There was a dramatic difference from 480 (my normal Min setting) down to 122: At 480 Pandora ran fluently, at 320 it sputtered a bit, at 245 it sputtered a lot, at 122 there is only a few cracks and pops and the UI becomes very unresponsive. I then decided to test Interactive governor as Whyzor recommended. Still at 122 Min, it basically caused the phone to lock up when trying to play Pandora. With screen on, the UI would suck all CPU. But even with screen off, it was almost completely dead. I had to pull the battery eventually as it didn't have enough CPU left to navigate away from Pandora. InteractiveX and OnDemand (the stock governor) were similar. Smartassv2 seemed to deal better with the low speed, as it ramps up based on CPU demand, whereas Interactive depends more on user action (Screen on) to ramp up.

3) Tonight (after seeing the responses to my last post ) I did some more scientific tests, running benchmarks at each speed. I disabled Screen timeout (to prevent idling) and used the Powersave governor to lock CPU speed at the Min setting. I verified with CPU Spy after each test to see that it did indeed lock and test at that CPU speed and no other speeds were in play. I used Raw CPU MFLOPS in StabilityTest 2.4.

Results:
    122MHz=1.7 MFLOPS
    245MHz=4.1 MFLOPS
    320MHz=4.1 MFLOPS
    480MHz=5.9 MFLOPS
    600MHz=10.0 MFLOPS
    729MHz=12.2 MFLOPS
    748MHz=12.6 MFLOPS
    768MHz=13.0 MFLOPS

The dramatic jump in score from 122 to 245 is surprising. Possibly other CPU or chipset functions get throttled at that setting to save battery, but I think at this low speed the waiticon and background processes consume a significant percentage of CPU cycles during the test. Even more surprising is that 245 and 320 yielded the same score, for which I have no explanation. I re-ran the tests multiple times to verify.

4) My conclusion remains that all of the speeds available in the menu are supported -- including 122, 245 and 320. Again, CPU Spy validates that. I don't know how Zefie arrived at his claim, but nothing in my tests indicate otherwise.

5) That said, I still consider 122 to be useless for my purposes – though it may serve a purpose if you only have minor CPU limited processes running during Screen off. At 122 there is barely enough CPU to run the UI (certainly not with animations enabled).

6) As I wrote earlier, the goal is to have the phone enter deep sleep as much as possible during Screen off, only waking up briefly to receive email notications. As long as these tasks are CPU limited, it makes sense to have a higher Min setting, such as 480. The faster the CPU runs, the faster the tasks complete and the phone can go back to sleep.

7) Mmarz' famous tests from last spring/summer concluded that up to a certain point higher clock speeds yield higher "battery efficiency". (He spliced a multimeter in between the battery and his OV to measure total draw while completing certain tasks). But (as I believe he later acknowledged) this does not take into consideration that some tasks are time limited (reading a web page, listening to a symphony etc) and you want the processor to run as slowly as possible during this time – only fast enough to support the task. That's why you choose Min setting based on your needs. Use CPU Spy to check it as I described in earlier posts.

OK, I hope this time at least I clarified more than I confused
    That is exactly the sort of clarification we need. Thank you for taking the time!

Dannemand likes this.
    03-28-2012 09:53 PM
    Looool! Good luck getting Leslieann to believe

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    03-28-2012 11:39 PM
    LOL, you guys sometimes crack me up.

Anyone try any extensive testing while in Suspend Mode while running BACKside 0313?
    03-28-2012 11:45 PM
    I tried it out for 6 hours in school

I'm pretty sure I would have had better battery life on my old Optimus, but this one sucks. I lost 23% battery.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    03-28-2012 11:49 PM
6,009 ... 195196197198199 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD