Galaxy Note 5 still having RAM management issues???

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, I came across this video of a speed test between a Note 5, OnePlus Two and LG G4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV8LlTxcIvY

Without spoiling it too much, the Note 5 did what the S6 did and reloaded some apps right from the beginning whilst other phones kept the same apps in memory.

Can anyone with the Note 5 attempt to replicate this and see if the issue persists after a while? Because this isn't pretty. A real-world test would also be appreciated.

I'll be doing the same when I get to test out the Note 5.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Its not a RAM management issue... Samsung is purposefully over-aggressive with the settings, have been for quite some time now. Why? Dunno.... what is the point of stuffing more RAM in a phone if you are going to get crazy conservative with it?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced some aggressive memory management on the Note 5. Most definitely, my G4 allows apps to stay in memory longer. That's just the way Samsung's memory management is. With that said, the Note 5 gets substantially better battery life compared to the G4. I don't have a OPT, so can't comment there.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I've seen that video posted all over the internet on Note 5 forums. I tried to duplicate a RAM problem on my Note 5 by opening my podcast app, running a reddit client, the AC central app, then opening maps and chrome in multi-window, navigating via maps and also loading data heavy websites on chrome. None of it disturbed the podcast playing on the audio and when I jumped back to my reddit app, it did not reload, but was still open.....

So, I couldn't duplicate what he was seeing. Now, I wasn't running a graphics heavy game, or transcoding video. So maybe if you want to transcode a video, play a game, and surf the web all in two minutes or less you are going to see a problem. But I don't see any problems in how I've been using this phone.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Its not a RAM management issue... Samsung is purposefully over-aggressive with the settings, have been for quite some time now. Why? Dunno.... what is the point of stuffing more RAM in a phone if you are going to get crazy conservative with it?

That's a good point. What is the purpose of the extra ram?

sajjad7

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Actually this is whats going on:
Consider you have Facebook app, Chrome in the background and a game is running.
Now you wanna go back to for example Facebook:
1. If you press the Home button and then the tap Facebook "Icon", it reload your Facebook h-page
2. If you Use your "Recently Opened app" button and then switch to the app. it does not reload it !
the iOS in iPhone is using the same procedure and Samsung too for a long period of time and as it mentioned, "its not an issue".

If you want to observe what i said. just do a "game multi tasking" video search in youtube for S6 or some and compare it with the OP video then you will figure it out ;)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've seen that video posted all over the internet on Note 5 forums. I tried to duplicate a RAM problem on my Note 5 by opening my podcast app, running a reddit client, the AC central app, then opening maps and chrome in multi-window, navigating via maps and also loading data heavy websites on chrome. None of it disturbed the podcast playing on the audio and when I jumped back to my reddit app, it did not reload, but was still open.....

So, I couldn't duplicate what he was seeing. Now, I wasn't running a graphics heavy game, or transcoding video. So maybe if you want to transcode a video, play a game, and surf the web all in two minutes or less you are going to see a problem. But I don't see any problems in how I've been using this phone.
It will be app dependent. I use hangouts, Gmail, Tapatalk, and chrome most of the time, and they stay in memory. I am guessing certain apps like what was in the video takes longer to load. It is also unknown what he ran prior to the demo.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was just reading an article on it from Samsung. They are having issues with multitasking.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Note 5 memory management seems too aggressive.

So, I have the system monitor app that I am using to monitor memory usage on my Note 5. Knowing that Note 5 equiped with 4GB of RAM, I think Note 5 should be a very damn good Android device. After spending a little time observing.. I said observing!... I killed all apps, restart. At the clean start, I am seeing 1.4GB of RAM usage. Keeping the RAM monitor on. I started to load bunch of ramdom apps. At around 9-10 apps and ram is about 1.9GB. My RAM monitor was killed. I restarted the the system monitor app and RAM was around 1.5GB usage. I tried to load bunch of apps again...and BAM as soon as the RAM hits 2GB marked, RAM monitor is killed again... It seems like, the Note 5 would not let the apps go beyond 2GB of RAM before it starts killing some of the running apps??? Anyone? I am not sure if this Android thing or something Samsung is doing? Again, just my observation.. nothing scientific about it.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 5 memory management seems too aggressive.

Samsung issue, its been documented on a few sites at this point. Hopefully Samsung fixes it

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Real world RAM management observations

Many of us have seen videos and complaints about Samsung's aggressive RAM management decisions with TouchWiz. But most of the evidence against the Note 5 is during testing of 10+ apps in a matter 1-2 minutes, for the sole purpose of trying to get apps dropped out of RAM. It's impossible to deny Samsung is too aggressive with TouchWiz in this regard.

But I'd like to hear from real users during normal daily use if they are seeing issues or not. Because real world usage is way more important to me than benchmarks or specific scenarios made to show such issues. (One specific issue people have discussed with the S6 is dropping of music while using navigation, but no evidence of issues on the Note 5 yet).

Positive or negative feedback, let's hear it!

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Real world RAM management observations

Many of us have seen videos and complaints about Samsung's aggressive RAM management decisions with TouchWiz. But most of the evidence against the Note 5 is during testing of 10+ apps in a matter 1-2 minutes, for the sole purpose of trying to get apps dropped out of RAM. It's impossible to deny Samsung is too aggressive with TouchWiz in this regard.

But I'd like to hear from real users during normal daily use if they are seeing issues or not. Because real world usage is way more important to me than benchmarks or specific scenarios made to show such issues. (One specific issue people have discussed with the S6 is dropping of music while using navigation, but no evidence of issues on the Note 5 yet).

Positive or negative feedback, let's hear it!

I got my Note 5 two days ago and so far I am able to regularly keep 6 to 7 apps open in the background. Usually consisting of Google+, Lightning browser, YouTube, the Playstore and two or three other apps. Definitely not as good as it should be but it as long as I don't go over 6 or 7 apps they will stay open in the background for hours. The phone is really fast and that level of multitasking is more than adequate for me. Now the S6 that my wife has, while it is also fast(not as fast as the Note 5), it is an app reloading piece of crap as far as I'm concerned.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

So, I have the system monitor app that I am using to monitor memory usage on my Note 5. Knowing that Note 5 equiped with 4GB of RAM, I think Note 5 should be a very damn good Android device. After spending a little time observing.. I said observing!... I killed all apps, restart. At the clean start, I am seeing 1.4GB of RAM usage. Keeping the RAM monitor on. I started to load bunch of ramdom apps. At around 9-10 apps and ram is about 1.9GB. My RAM monitor was killed. I restarted the the system monitor app and RAM was around 1.5GB usage. I tried to load bunch of apps again...and BAM as soon as the RAM hits 2GB marked, RAM monitor is killed again... It seems like, the Note 5 would not let the apps go beyond 2GB of RAM before it starts killing some of the running apps??? Anyone? I am not sure if this Android thing or something Samsung is doing? Again, just my observation.. nothing scientific about it.

It's the same with the Galaxy S6.

It seems to behave like a device with 2GB of RAM.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I have tested mine and I agree, none of the previous RAM management problems that I saw in the S6. The Note 5 performs beautifully

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
You guys are complaining about this? Lol. Try the iPhone 6+ where everything reloads after the 2 or 3rd app. God forbid you do navigation. Or the browser reloading if there is too much on the page. I have been very pleased at the ram management on this device.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

It seems like, the Note 5 would not let the apps go beyond 2GB of RAM before it starts killing some of the running apps??? Anyone? I am not sure if this Android thing or something Samsung is doing? Again, just my observation.. nothing scientific about it.

Well... it is Android, but it is Samsung calling the shots. There are a bunch of parameters that dictate how the phone handles memory.... how many apps to keep running, the point at which you start dropping apps out of memory, etc. Samsung, for whatever reason, has decided to be rather aggressive in configuring those values. Again, this is all done by choice, not by accident. Samsung has been doing that for several generations now and it appears that they are quite happy with continuing the practice.

Has anyone gone into the developer options to see if the settings in there have any effect on loosening the chains a bit?

But it's just how they work.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

Has anyone gone into the developer options to see if the settings in there have any effect on loosening the chains a bit?

I did. The settings to alter the RAM management are in the build.prop file, which is root access only. After I poked around for a while and suspected this was the case, I googled it on XDA's site and confirmed.... you need root access to build.prop to change RAM management

shibosway

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't really understand what the problem is. What kind of apps are you using? When I hit my app switch button I pull up so many apps I forgot I even opened them earlier in the day. When I switch to them there's a slight pause but it opens right back up to where I was, even with multiple tabs open in Firefox and with older and poorly updated apps.

Note 5 !

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Real world RAM management observations

4 apps seems to be my magic number. After that the oldest one gets reloaded. It doesn't really bother me as it's blazing fast to reload stuff anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App on a Note 5