Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes even though I'm getting decent battery life with a high percentage Cell Standby, my issue is that I'm getting worse Cell Standby when connected to WiFi when that shouldn't be the case. Last night I wiped the cache again, rebooted the phone and then turned it off and powered it back on to see if it'll fix something.

People have suggested that poor signal and having advance HD calling (also known as VoLTE) could cause this Cell Standby. I'll post a screenshot that I took throughout my work shift where I had 1 bar of LTE and after my 8 hour shift was over I only had 1% of cell standby. It seems like a lot of people are pushing this Cell Standby issue under a rug when this is a serious problem (Verizon only?) just look throughout the battery thread and you'll see numerous screenshots of Cell Standby up at the top.

Just imagine if you're already having good battery with a high percentage of Standby if Cell Standby was nonexistent or at least under 3% throughout the day

I have tried the S6, S6 edge, G4, and now the N5...all suffer from same Cell standby issues. When I'm about I turn off wifi and my cell standby is controlled. It can't be a coincidence that all three had/had with same problem. My frustration is when people on Verizon tell me they don't suffer from this and like I'm the very few who has this problem. All 4 phones having this problem means to me that it's a major issue but oh well....

either I deal with it or return it I guess.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Here was my experience yesterday. A lot better but then again I wasnt on Wi-Fi that long when I got home. I took a screenshot at every break at work

Attachments

• 1441156018124.jpg
    1441156018124.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 1441156054696.jpg
    1441156054696.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1441156067733.jpg
    1441156067733.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 1441156080783.jpg
    1441156080783.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1441156095043.jpg
    1441156095043.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 1441156111213.jpg
    1441156111213.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 80
  • 1441156132793.jpg
    1441156132793.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 78
  • 1441156152643.jpg
    1441156152643.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 79

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I have tried the S6, S6 edge, G4, and now the N5...all suffer from same Cell standby issues. When I'm about I turn off wifi and my cell standby is controlled. It can't be a coincidence that all three had/had with same problem. My frustration is when people on Verizon tell me they don't suffer from this and like I'm the very few who has this problem. All 4 phones having this problem means to me that it's a major issue but oh well....

either I deal with it or return it I guess.
Well you're not alone cause its affecting me too. Tomorrow my wife is going to join my account so I'm going to talk to Verizon to see if they are aware of this bug and when a fix will be issued out.

I've had this phone since last Tuesday and I thought about going to a different phone that didn't have this issue (more than likely the G4) but once I figured out this WiFi bug three days ago on Saturday, I was relieved cause I finally found the culprit. Doing more research, I read that it affected the S6/Edge and that rolling out an update fixed it I guess. Since Saturday I haven't thought about returning this phone.

I really like this phone, its fast, zippy, and I love the camera. Once I'm home I try not to use my WiFi but when I do use it, I'm not on it for that long. The battery on this thing when this bug isn't affecting it is damn good and just as good as my iPhone 6 Plus.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well you're not alone cause its affecting me too. Tomorrow my wife is going to join my account so I'm going to talk to Verizon to see if they are aware of this bug and when a fix will be issued out.

I've had this phone since last Tuesday and I thought about going to a different phone that didn't have this issue (more than likely the G4) but once I figured out this WiFi bug three days ago on Saturday, I was relieved cause I finally found the culprit. Doing more research, I read that it affected the S6/Edge and that rolling out an update fixed it I guess. Since Saturday I haven't thought about returning this phone.

I really like this phone, its fast, zippy, and I love the camera. Once I'm home I try not to use my WiFi but when I do use it, I'm not on it for that long. The battery on this thing when this bug isn't affecting it is damn good and just as good as my iPhone 6 Plus.

I don't know about the fix on the S6edge but as I stated I've tried the top Android's (S6/S6edge/G4) and all have this bug so I'm pretty sure it's Verizon error. Will wait to hear that they say to you tomorrow...I hardly doubt they will say anything or even know about it.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
i feel your pain my battery life sucks on this phone and that cell standy is effecting my tmobile note5 as well. If this keeps up im returning it and ordering me a bloatware free moto x pure edition.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things.. Those on Verizon, are you using anything like this? This was written for the S5, but it is the same.

http://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-97134/

If not, do you use any WiFi manager?

T-Mobile and other carriers.. Do you have the WiFi manager turned on?

Also does anyone have the built-in Smart Switch turned on, it needs to be off. You gp to WiFi under settings, click More and you will see it listed.

Attachments

• 1441199926295.jpg
    1441199926295.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 51

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That implies that your mobile radio is causing about a 1.1%/h drain. Now, that is pretty high to be honest, but that can mean two things; 1) there's a bug where the radio is not stepping down properly or 2) you have a really junk signal during this time.

No, signal... there are two basic components, strength and noise. A strong, noisy signal can often draw as much, if not more power than a weak clean one. It all depends on how that signal is reported. That 3 or 4 bar signal you see might be really noisy.... I guess it all depends on how much Samsung weights SNR (SNR should rule all when it comes to your signal quality anyhow).

There's a lot of moving parts here.... and it is hard to figure it out based on that one window. A high cell standby like that is a symptom of something, not a direct cause in and of itself.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Couple of things.. Those on Verizon, are you using anything like this? This was written for the S5, but it is the same.

Also does anyone have the built-in Smart Switch turned on, it needs to be off. You gp to WiFi under settings, click More and you will see it listed.

I have t-mobile and i don't see that setting under More or Advanced.

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

I've got both of these to the good guys (all as they should be for best battery - off).

Here's since I got home from work on wifi. Good wifi signal and 4/5 bars of cell signal (was fully charged when I got home...)

3c0938fa0d9f04b4c1508362e0ad566a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My latest theory is that I have both the standard 2.4GHz signal and 5GHz the connections in my house both with passwords punched into my phone... Maybe it's switching or analyzing the signal of both too much. So I actually just went into wifi settings and told the phone to forget the 5GHz signal. We'll see what happens..

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My latest theory is that I have both the standard 2.4GHz signal and 5GHz the connections in my house both with passwords punched into my phone... Maybe it's switching or analyzing the signal of both too much. So I actually just went into wifi settings and told the phone to forget the 5GHz signal. We'll see what happens..

Yup, I always turn all that off. Also one thing I have different than you.. I have the WiFi to not be on when the phone is sleeping. Leaving WiFi always awake, many times it will cause apps not even in use, to wake the phone using WiFi to send location info to Google.