03-17-2016 12:44 AM
99 123 ...
tools
    I have Verizon and I noticed on Saturday that while being on Wi-Fi at my house 3/4th of the day caused my battery to drain especially for Cell Standby. I had to go officiate a football game that night and was gone for close to 6 hours and had no increase in my Cell Standby usage. Came back home from the game connected to my Wi-Fi and within 1 1/2 hours, I had gone up 4% in Cell Standby.

Today at work I only had 1 bar of 4G throughout my 8 hour shift and only had 1% of Cell Standby compared to 13% in an 8 hour span being at home on Saturday connected to my WiFi. I've screenshot my phone at every break and will post those here in a few hours (gotta go officiate a JV football game). Once I get home from the football game, I'll connect to my Wi-Fi to prove that being connected to Wi-Fi is the culprit of the Cell Standby bug. Throughout today at work I had my Wi-Fi on, history location off, Advance HD calling (VoLTE) turned off, screen at 50% brightness, sync turned off and among other things I can't think of right now I'm sure.
    08-31-2015 05:47 PM
    Verizon here and noticed the same thing. I thought maybe it was from using chromecast, but I've never seen that cause drain in the past...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    08-31-2015 08:42 PM
    now that you mention it, my cell standby battery drain is high (I'm on VZW as well). Will keep an eye on it and then also look at battery life with and without wi-fi on all day at the house.
    08-31-2015 09:18 PM
    Interesting. Cell standby didn't even show up on my battery stats, and I don't use wifi

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    08-31-2015 11:27 PM
    Not on Verizon but on AT&T.
    With wifi on, cell standby is showing up on the battery list at slightly higher than 2% for a 7-8 hour period - at night. During the day it is slightly higher right at 3% for the same time frame.

The drain bugs me as my other device (iPhone 6+) has about half the drain.
    09-01-2015 09:28 AM
    T-Mobile too. I've had WiFi off all day so far and cell standby is bottom of list using battery. I'll see at the end of the day what that looks like. It's possible that standby will just be replaced by something else that takes the same or more battery, but we'll see.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-01-2015 10:39 AM
    I'm on T-Mobile and been on WiFi almost 24 hours and am on WiFi 90% of the time. Standby is so low it isn't even showing up in my list.
    Attached Thumbnails Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441127919821.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441127933697.jpg  
    09-01-2015 12:18 PM
    Anyone have a remedy for this? At work today... Not connected to any wifi and my cell standby is LOW. But home and connected to wifi, it's usually the top of the list...

09-01-2015 01:26 PM
    Anyone have a remedy for this? At work today... Not connected to any wifi and my cell standby is LOW. But home and connected to wifi, it's usually the top of the list...

I don't have the issue at all and am on WiFi home and work.
    09-01-2015 01:42 PM
    I don't have the issue at all and am on WiFi home and work.
    I believe you told me that you're on T-Mobile.... we're talking about Note 5 on Verizon! I have this problem..and only solution for me is to use llama app to turn off wifi automatically when not at home or work. Since when I'm at work or home I'm near a chrager.

BTW...I had this problem on S6 and G4. That's why I went to my iphone 6...but the curiosity got the best of me and tried the Note 5 hoping the best......but no, I suffer this problem.
    09-01-2015 01:54 PM
    I believe you told me that you're on T-Mobile.... we're talking about Note 5 on Verizon! I have this problem..and only solution for me is to use llama app to turn off wifi automatically when not at home or work. Since when I'm at work or home I'm near a chrager.

BTW...I had this problem on S6 and G4. That's why I went to my iphone 6...but the curiosity got the best of me and tried the Note 5 hoping the best......but no, I suffer this problem.
    Well as the person above me said, they were on T-Mobile and having this issue, is why I had posted I wasn't having this issue on T-Mobile.
    09-01-2015 01:55 PM
    Well as the person above me said, they were on T-Mobile and having this issue, is why I had posted I wasn't having this issue on T-Mobile.
    I see...my apology. Thanks though for your inputs and eagerness to help.... I'm just frustrated with this situation as I really want to keep this phone. I have little more than a week to decide. Hopefully I can figure it out and have this thing settle down on me...
    09-01-2015 02:34 PM
    I see...my apology. Thanks though for your inputs and eagerness to help.... I'm just frustrated with this situation as I really want to keep this phone. I have little more than a week to decide. Hopefully I can figure it out and have this thing settle down on me...
    Not a problem!

Have you talked to Verizon about this? I would also call Samsung and open a ticket. Tell Verizon and Samsung both about others here saying they have this issue. Everyone that has this issue though, needs to call both Verizon and Samsung to report it. I don't know how Verizon does it, but when I was with AT&T if I got them to open a ticket, that would trigger it getting looked into, same with Samsung.

Also with most carriers, after a certain number of reports on the same issue, it triggers it past customer service.
    09-01-2015 02:48 PM
    I ordered the Note 5 to replace my S6, ( the wife is getting it) and the S6 had the same issue. The temporary fix as I recall was to turn on Advanced Calling. Maybe this will work till a patch is pushed out.
    09-01-2015 06:11 PM
    In settings you have advanced calling tuned on or off? Also do you have download boost turned on or off?

09-01-2015 06:42 PM
    I'm on VZW and the Cell Standby % is higher than I would think, bit I get great battery life, so I don't care at all. IS the point here from the OP that you are getting worse battery life on Wifi? If not, this might be over-analysis, no?

This isn't a cell USAGE %, but a Cell STANDBY percent - it should be higher when LTE is not in use here. If not, what am I missing?
    09-01-2015 07:05 PM
    In settings you have advanced calling tuned on or off? Also do you have download boost turned on or off?

I'm not the op, but in my case I've have download booster and advanced calling/HD voice/video calling all turned off.

09-01-2015 07:18 PM
    I don't think this is isolated to Verizon, Cell standby is on top of my list too on T-Mobile. I don't have WiFi calling or VoLTE enabled either.

Attached Thumbnails Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-256.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-255.jpg  
    09-01-2015 07:40 PM
    I'm on VZW and the Cell Standby % is higher than I would think, bit I get great battery life, so I don't care at all. IS the point here from the OP that you are getting worse battery life on Wifi? If not, this might be over-analysis, no?

This isn't a cell USAGE %, but a Cell STANDBY percent - it should be higher when LTE is not in use here. If not, what am I missing?
    Yes even though I'm getting decent battery life with a high percentage Cell Standby, my issue is that I'm getting worse Cell Standby when connected to WiFi when that shouldn't be the case. Last night I wiped the cache again, rebooted the phone and then turned it off and powered it back on to see if it'll fix something.

People have suggested that poor signal and having advance HD calling (also known as VoLTE) could cause this Cell Standby. I'll post a screenshot that I took throughout my work shift where I had 1 bar of LTE and after my 8 hour shift was over I only had 1% of cell standby. It seems like a lot of people are pushing this Cell Standby issue under a rug when this is a serious problem (Verizon only?) just look throughout the battery thread and you'll see numerous screenshots of Cell Standby up at the top.

Just imagine if you're already having good battery with a high percentage of Standby if Cell Standby was nonexistent or at least under 3% throughout the day
    09-01-2015 07:54 PM
    Here is what I experienced Saturday was on Wi-Fi till 4:45 and didn't come back home till 10:55ish. Took a screenshot at 8:54 during halftime. Left Wi-Fi on and within an hour my cell standby went up 4%
    Attached Thumbnails Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441155481822.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441155624499.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441155694404.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441155713183.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441155731465.jpg  

09-01-2015 08:02 PM
    Yes even though I'm getting decent battery life with a high percentage Cell Standby, my issue is that I'm getting worse Cell Standby when connected to WiFi when that shouldn't be the case. Last night I wiped the cache again, rebooted the phone and then turned it off and powered it back on to see if it'll fix something.

People have suggested that poor signal and having advance HD calling (also known as VoLTE) could cause this Cell Standby. I'll post a screenshot that I took throughout my work shift where I had 1 bar of LTE and after my 8 hour shift was over I only had 1% of cell standby. It seems like a lot of people are pushing this Cell Standby issue under a rug when this is a serious problem (Verizon only?) just look throughout the battery thread and you'll see numerous screenshots of Cell Standby up at the top.

Just imagine if you're already having good battery with a high percentage of Standby if Cell Standby was nonexistent or at least under 3% throughout the day
    I have tried the S6, S6 edge, G4, and now the N5...all suffer from same Cell standby issues. When I'm about I turn off wifi and my cell standby is controlled. It can't be a coincidence that all three had/had with same problem. My frustration is when people on Verizon tell me they don't suffer from this and like I'm the very few who has this problem. All 4 phones having this problem means to me that it's a major issue but oh well....

either I deal with it or return it I guess.
    09-01-2015 08:07 PM
    Here was my experience yesterday. A lot better but then again I wasnt on Wi-Fi that long when I got home. I took a screenshot at every break at work
    Attached Thumbnails Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156018124.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156054696.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156067733.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156080783.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156095043.jpg  

Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156111213.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156132793.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156152643.jpg  
    09-01-2015 08:09 PM
    Here's my results as off today
    09-01-2015 08:14 PM
    Here's what my battery looks like as of today
    Attached Thumbnails Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156498623.jpg   Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)-1441156511283.jpg  
    09-01-2015 08:15 PM
    I have tried the S6, S6 edge, G4, and now the N5...all suffer from same Cell standby issues. When I'm about I turn off wifi and my cell standby is controlled. It can't be a coincidence that all three had/had with same problem. My frustration is when people on Verizon tell me they don't suffer from this and like I'm the very few who has this problem. All 4 phones having this problem means to me that it's a major issue but oh well....

either I deal with it or return it I guess.
    Well you're not alone cause its affecting me too. Tomorrow my wife is going to join my account so I'm going to talk to Verizon to see if they are aware of this bug and when a fix will be issued out.

I've had this phone since last Tuesday and I thought about going to a different phone that didn't have this issue (more than likely the G4) but once I figured out this WiFi bug three days ago on Saturday, I was relieved cause I finally found the culprit. Doing more research, I read that it affected the S6/Edge and that rolling out an update fixed it I guess. Since Saturday I haven't thought about returning this phone.

I really like this phone, its fast, zippy, and I love the camera. Once I'm home I try not to use my WiFi but when I do use it, I'm not on it for that long. The battery on this thing when this bug isn't affecting it is damn good and just as good as my iPhone 6 Plus.
    09-01-2015 08:24 PM
99 123 ...