The Note 7 Battery life Thread

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
In one of your screenshots that you posted earlier I noticed you had location (GPS) on, so have you tried changing that to Power saving mode (wifi and data only) and just switch to High accuracy only when needed pinpoint accuracy? Also, did you turn off the Google Location Services, the combo ON can be very bad for battery life and the graphic I saw from your battery depletion clearly shows a constant and faster than normal depletion. Also, can you try with Wifi off like I posted above? I mean, if it's possible and your data plan will allow it.
Hey man, thanks a lot for taking the time to help. I can definitely turn off my wifi all day since I'm on an unlimited plan ! I will do the test tomorrow to see the results after I got my phone fully charged.

Regarding all the location services, would it be ok if I simple bring down my quick settings menu and completely turn off Location ? At least during the test tomorrow? Or is it important that I go in the settings and manually do everything you say above ?

what I'm thinking is to do a full test tomorrow with both wifi and location turned off from the quick settings, and see the impact ..,,,

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey man, thanks a lot for taking the time to help. I can definitely turn off my wifi all day since I'm on an unlimited plan ! I will do the test tomorrow to see the results after I got my phone fully charged.

Regarding all the location services, would it be ok if I simple bring down my quick settings menu and completely turn off Location ? At least during the test tomorrow? Or is it important that I go in the settings and manually do everything you say above ?

what I'm thinking is to do a full test tomorrow with both wifi and location turned off from the quick settings, and see the impact ..,,,

If you need location on then leave it on, what I'm saying is that sometimes (or really, most of the time) you don't need the High Accuracy on, for most of the location services, with having the power saving mode on is enough, like I said, I just turn High accuracy on when I'm using Google Maps or any other app that requires my exact location, although I can't think of another one right now.

I'd say, just leave the Location on power saving mode, be sure to turn off Google Location services, unless you are sure that you need to send Google your location all the time, and turn wifi off to test. But feel free to do it as you need or want, just be sure of what you are doing and the wY you are doing it so you have the most information you may have so you can pinpoint your issue.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Well I don't even need to leave it on I think. The only inly time I need to use location is when I use google apps or when I use S health to track my runs. So in order to make the perfect test and see the impact it has on my Battery I'll simply keep the location completely off all the time. Only when I use one of those two ill punctually turn it on. It takes a second from the quick settings menu and it'll be automatically set to high accuracy !

I'll report tomorrow at the end of the day to see if that and having my wifi off helped with the battery. Ideally, I want to get closer to the 5 hrs of sot like all of your and 13-14 hours total. That's my dream goal ..... Thanks for the help everyone.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I dunno what it is but once it gets to 22% the battery just trickles and takes forever to discharge

aed3b701e0c4612d20da5ac787073d1a.jpg

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'll simply keep the location completely off all the time. Only when I use one of those two ill punctually turn it on. It takes a second from the quick settings menu and it'll be automatically set to high accuracy !

That's the spirit, but you will find a lot of people here that will tell you that by doing this is somehow diminishing the phone, that they shouldn't be doing that, that is a smartphone and they should leave EVERYTHING on all the time, YADA, YADA. So I just got tired of the same posts and people and just stopped giving those hints and not just for Location, I do the same for Bluetooh, NFC and Wifi Calling, that's what Quick toggles are for, it takes a second to turn them on and off, so why waste resources having all that on all the time?

One more thing that I really don't know if I have mentioned to you before, in location Settings, turn off Wifi and Bluetooth Scanning, both on by default and both equally battery drainers.

For people that keep insisting on comparing Battery life with any iPhone, people, for the last time, when iPhone has ALL the things that come on by default on Android and let run all kind of background processes like on Android then we can compare apples to apples, so only thing we Android users that want the best battery life possible can do is to be proactive and learn about all the things that cause big drains in our batteries and leave just the ones we are going to use, otherwise, the battery life will NEVER be the same than on the iPhones.

I have 3 or 4 co-workers that only use iPhones, and I have made bets with them that my phones last longer than theirs on a normal and comparable daily usage and so far I haven't lost one yet, and I'm always rocking a bigger Quad HD screen Vs theirs 720p 4.7" and 1080p 5.5" screens. My standby is awesome so that's the key and I have never used any kind of Power Saving Mode.

Last edited:

AhemThisGuy

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm surprised with the battery life I'm getting for this phone. As long as I get a full days worth without having to charge once I'm good. I'm not a heavy user when I'm at work. Almost 13 hours and I'm still sitting at 46%. I have Bluetooth on all day and that usually drains battery pretty quick from past experience with android phones. I'm an IPhone user switched to android. So I am pretty happy with this phone so far as far as battery life. That's my two cents.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it could drain more, but no one seems to think it would drain twice as much, like it was an individual phone.
I think I solved the trick of weak signal. Someone suggested this previous.

I just put my phone on airplane mode and then turned wifi on. I have wifi calling and it also excepts text messages so why have phone searching for signal in a weak area when it's not needed doing this?

So I looked when i was home for 1/2 day yesterday and sure enough standby which is generally higher for me was about half what it was.

I think that's going to be the trick for me when I'm home. Airplane mode with wifi on.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
This is something I've been doing with all my devices since Marshmallow was released, and because that I had already forgotten that it was like that until today. For some strange reason or maybe a possible Marshmallow bug, there was news that people were having bigger battery drain with Wifi on than off, before that it was commonly known that having Wifi on all the time was better for the battery than having to use LTE all day. Immediately after I got Marshmallow in the device at had at the moment I also noticed that it was also true for me, Wifi was causing issues and a lot more battery drain than usual.

Fast Forward months and about 4 devices later and since that time I haven't turn Wifi On except for when it's Charging (I'm using MacroDroid for that without my intervention) and my battery has been basically better than most, if I may say it, when I compare to other users of the S7 edge, S7, HTC 10 and Axon 7.

Today I remembered this, and I decided to do a test for the first time on my Axon 7, that for the past 2 weeks since I got it, has been nothing less than exceptional in battery life, and I left Wifi on since I unplugged it at 5:00am, now it's 1:20pm and with just 55 minutes of SOT I'm at 84%, not bad for many but poor for me, with Wifi off, like I've been always averaging 8-9 hours of SOT (4 hours of SOT when I go to sleep and at or around 50%) and with the same SOT as of today I've always been at this time at around 90%. So what I'm saying is that even when it's still good battery life, today with Wifi on I'm averaging between 5.5-6 hours of SOT, when I normally can get about 8 with Wifi off.

So for those of you that can give it a try or have unlimited data and really doesn't matter having Wifi on or off, you can try for one or various day with WIFI off to see if it also helps you. I know it's has been simply great for me, if more people confirms this then it's obvious something is still wrong with WIFI settings in general on Marshmallow and it's not just a Samsung thing.
That's a good idea for those that also have a really good signal. I routinely get 1 or 2 bars and on occasion it'll say 3G not 4G so that works for some but not all.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I received my phone on the 18th and had random issues with Android system killing the battery so I took the plunge and did FDR 2 days ago. Seemed to work quite well. Then this morning Android system reared its ugly head again. Fortunately I caught it, was able to see that beaming service was the culprit, disabled it, and the rest of the day haven't had an issue.

So I'd like to believe the hours I spent with the FDR were worth it but now I'm not sure. I'm glad I did it just to know I started fresh but it certainly didn't prevent things from going sideways again. Maybe the chances of it happening have been reduced though.
Beaming service?

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Not looking good for me so far. 54% left and I've only had 5 hrs on battery and 1h40 of SOT even though I've turned off all location services...pretty sad...

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
SOT is very subjective based on use. You are tracking to make it to 10 hours overall and 3.5 SOT...not really terrible but that is just me...that's a normal day for me if I don't charge it for an extra 20-30 minutes to get another 3-4 hours out of it

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
SOT is very subjective based on use. You are tracking to make it to 10 hours overall and 3.5 SOT...not really terrible but that is just me...that's a normal day for me if I don't charge it for an extra 20-30 minutes to get another 3-4 hours out of it
Well at least I'm glad to know I'm not the only with a smaller result. But I see so many people with amazing results here that I would have loved to get 14-15 hours and 5 hours SOT. That would guarantee me a full day with no charge. That's my ultimate dream!!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Not looking good for me so far. 54% left and I've only had 5 hrs on battery and 1h40 of SOT even though I've turned off all location services...pretty sad...

Let's make a summary here.

Tell us, have you disabled Bloatware, all or just a few? You mentioned Location will be off, but did you disable Wifi and Bluetooth Scanning and Google Location service on location? What are your brightness settings? How good is your signal? Have you activated and change to Always the App Power Saving features in Battery-App power Savings-Detail? I think you mentioned that you have a dual sim device,do you have both activated at the same time? If so, have you tried using just one at a time to see if one of them is causing the issue? Can you post today's Battery stats screenshots, as much details as possible?

All the above questions are very important to know trying to find what may be causing your issue, if everything above is as expected or you have already worked on it, then you must have a rogue app, trying to see your battery stats can help.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Let's make a summary here.

Tell us, have you disabled Bloatware, all or just a few? Did you disable Wifi and Bluetooth Scanning and Google Location service on location? You mentioned Location will be off, what is your brightness settings? How good is your signal? Have you activated and change to Always the App Power Saving features in Battery-App power Savings-Detail? Can you post today's Battery stats screenshots, as much details as possible?

All the above questions are very important to know trying to find what may be causing your issue, if everything above is as expected or you have already worked on it, then you must have a rogue app, trying to see your battery stats can help.
Where is the always battery app saving feature?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch