Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

I feel like a lot of the lag people are seeing is because they restored from a backup from a previous phone. I can't be certain of that, but I'd imagine a fresh install probably works wonders. Glad it's performing better for you now.

I think restoring from a backup could certainly be one of the issues. This is an issue on iOS as well. When someone is having issues you will see the people over on the iMore forums recommend a clean install and set up just like on the Android forums. So this is not specific to the Note 7 or even Android.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I think restoring from a backup could certainly be one of the issues. This is an issue on iOS as well. When someone is having issues you will see the people over on the iMore forums recommend a clean install and set up just like on the Android forums. So this is not specific to the Note 7 or even Android.

Or specific to just phones..

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I feel like a lot of the lag people are seeing is because they restored from a backup from a previous phone. I can't be certain of that, but I'd imagine a fresh install probably works wonders. Glad it's performing better for you now.

Yeah I use upgrading phone as a chance to get rid of junk so don't usually restore back ups, and even older Samsung's like the s5 had been quite smooth for me.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Over the last week I've had performance issues with the N7. Slow at times, apps crashing, jittery choppy scrolling, poor battery life. This morning I tried to take a screen shot and the phone would not let me do it because it said not enough memory! I was certain that I had over 40GB free, but when I looked up in the storage under settings it said I had 12mb free! I rebooted the phone and rechecked storage and then it said I had 40GB free again and then I could take a screen shot. Idk what is going on with this phone.

Factory reset (NOT reboot!) and if that doesn't help get it replaced.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I use upgrading phone as a chance to get rid of junk so don't usually restore back ups, and even older Samsung's like the s5 had been quite smooth for me.

Well I think it might be telling the only time I have used Smart Switch, I've ended up with the media drain and it on a phone with no SD card and the only media was less than 10 ring tones.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Explains the disparity in claims. All things working correctly, this phone doesn't have performance issues/doesn't lag. If it did, it wouldn't be in my pocket right now. Like Ron from Ars Technica stated, there's people throwing shade at this device like they've done to every other Galaxy in recent memory. I'm not saying there's people who aren't having legitimate issues for the reasons we've highlighted, but there's also a large portion who aren't fans of Samsung and want to push their agenda. There's also people who don't even own the device going in on it. That makes it difficult to assist people that actually have issues.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Don't know what you guys been doing, but my phone still running smooth and fluid. I'm on AT&T. I have a lot of games and apps installed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Same here
I have experienced some lag when installing a bunch of apps though, but it usually goes away...nothing major

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Experienced extreme lag while trying to use Google maps for navigation this morning. I wonder if google maps has bugs in it?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh let me add.. I always use the Nova back up, but that is just Nova settings. That has never been an issue for me.

Also when I get a new Samsung phone, I never set it up using any backup, always do it as a new phone.

I agree with this. My pics/video are all on Google Photos, and all work type files on my phone are backed up some place else. I don't even let Google Play download all my apps. A solid purge every now and again is a good thing. So many apps just fade into not being used, then they never get deleted. I went down the list of my apps in Google Play and installed those that I know I need. Others I will get as I need them.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Explains the disparity in claims. All things working correctly, this phone doesn't have performance issues/doesn't lag. If it did, it wouldn't be in my pocket right now. Like Ron from Ars Technica stated, there's people throwing shade at this device like they've done to every other Galaxy in recent memory. I'm not saying there's people who aren't having legitimate issues for the reasons we've highlighted, but there's also a large portion who aren't fans of Samsung and want to push their agenda. There's also people who don't even own the device going in on it. That makes it difficult to assist people that actually have issues.

You've been saying this from the beginning, and it looks like we're the only two who can see it. Oh well

Brian Savoir

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Oh it's laggy for sure. Gives me pause. My 6P ran CIRCLES around this Note 7 in smoothness. Damnit.
What apps are yall running, i have not had any lags. I don't use touchwiz launcher, i prefer nova been using it for 3 years. I have more than 150 apps installed. I use greenify for most apps that i don't use. Where does it lag? Transitions, animations?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You've been saying this from the beginning, and it looks like we're the only two who can see it. Oh well

I'm just glad we've been able to help some of the people who are legitimately having issues. I can only imagine how much it would suck to get this phone and have that kind of experience. I'm more impressed with this phone than I've ever been of another Samsung device. It's just that good.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever get yours Kelly? If you did, did Samsung send you your preferred Blue Coral?

Haven't gotten it yet. I got an email the other day and they have placed an order for mine and other ones they get from TMO and haven't received the order yet. They said I'm first on the list so hopefully that means I get the blue one 😊

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm just glad we've been able to help some of the people who are legitimately having issues. I can only imagine how much it would suck to get this phone and have that kind of experience. I'm more impressed with this phone than I've ever been of another Samsung device. It's just that good.

Yeah it happens every Sammy release. The good news is eventually they get bored and move on, Samsung releases and update to fix most issues, and then it will calm down around here like the S7 Edge forum did. And I still suspect the Note 7 will get phone of the years honors most places, despite an almost organized campaign to keep it from happening.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It's cute all the people popping up "I don't have lag". However it's not necessarily helpful to the thousands that are having the issue

Perhaps because most folks here understand that Android itself is a systemic issue and then certain apps (ones that do not follow Android framework guidelines) can exacerbate the issues. Android uses a code translation layer, plus has more challenged cache and ram management. There is a main reason why Apple gets away with half the ram on average and that is due to the power of designing for one progressing platform of hardware. That and having only FHD on their phones are huge performance advantages.

Most appear to not be having issues being articulated and attribute any random lag to what they appear to already know. The answers though to mitigate:

1. Did the issues start with a recent app install?
2. Turn animations off in dev settings if using Wiz, Wiz already does it's own. Adds lag if on.
3. Boot into set-up and clean the cache- then reboot. Sometimes installing in a big batch of apps on a new device can cause issues.
4. Return the device

Whatever the case, complaining about it with no apparent effort to fix/understand it does not come across well in forums like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress