Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Everyone's n7 lags. It'd just most ppl don't understand or even know what lag is. Every review from pocketnow to smaller reviews like flossy Carter all there note have lagged. Like I said earlier it's a nice phone that looks amazing but if your not use to Samsung's laggy setup it will drive you nuts. If you are a Samsung user it won't bother you one bit. A for sure buy if you have used Samsung. If not test it out on some 14 day plan. I loved the phone just couldn't handle the lag

I went from a Galaxy S3 (two of them, the first white and the second Pebble Blue) to the Nexus 5 and then to the Note 4. I noticed some lag on my Note 4, and a little on my S3. But now with the Note 7, I haven't had ANYTHING compared to the Note 4 or S3. So i'm not really buying that the lag is a "big problem" in any way. As I mentioned earlier, i've had one or two hiccups with things and that's been it in a week.

Even my Nexus 5 had some lag at times, so it's not even just Samsung. I've used iPhones before that have lagged as well. Specifically the iPhone 4s, but even as recently as the 6s+. I feel terrible for Flossy Carter that he had some lag on his Note 7, but luckily I haven't had the same issues. And that doesn't mean I don't know what lag is.

DroidDawgS4

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

To Adranalyne: Yes. Yes you are lucky. And we're all happy for you. I have the same issue that others are having with my Note 7. BUT I also have an S4, Note 4, Note 2014, and S7 -- and NONE of them have this issue. All are on Sprint. So, on the other devices, I too haven't come close experiencing this lag issue. Of course, the other devices are all rooted, which has to make you wonder what Samsung has done...

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, this video shows the Note 7 beating or matching the iPhone 6S in pretty much every test. If any phone lags in the speed comparison, it is the iPhone. Like I said, this is more a case of your confirmation bias than anything else.

It's interesting how often videos showing lag means that EVERY one of that particular device has the problem, but videos showing little to no lag doesn't mean anything. It can't possibly be that some have the issue and some doesn't and it's therefore more of a consistency issue than anything.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It's interesting how often videos showing lag means that EVERY one of that particular device has the problem, but videos showing little to no lag doesn't mean anything. It can't possibly be that some have the issue and some doesn't and it's therefore more of a consistency issue than anything.
The two videos are for different chipsets. The exynos is undoubtedly better for battery and general performance. The snapdragon really doesn't seem as optimised compared to it, and phones like the op3 are doing a much better job. In terms of general performance, from the anecdotal stuff I've seen it seems like the note 7 sd820 might very well be one of the worst in bringing out performance from it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The two videos are for different chipsets. The exynos is undoubtedly better for battery and general performance. The snapdragon really doesn't seem as optimised compared to it, and phones like the op3 are doing a much better job. In terms of general performance, from the anecdotal stuff I've seen it seems like the note 7 sd820 might very well be one of the worst in bringing out performance from it.

The thing is though, anecdotal is far from proof of anything.

"Correlation proves causation" is a logical fallacy.

Two people can have the same phone with the same apps on the same network and be with each other 24/7 and their phones aren't going to be exactly the same, especially with Android.

There are so many variables there with an Android that aren't there with iOS.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Oddly enough, I have the snapdragon version and have only seen two instances of noticeable lag. So you could say the Exynos is better and that may be true, but my experience is the Snapdragon has been great. My experience matches the one shown in the video I was referencing.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You can search for any device on YouTube to find dirt on said device. Or you can search to find good about any device. Just thought i'd point that out. I could watch 5,000 videos telling me my Note 7 lags, but when i'm watching the videos on my Note 7 and it's functioning smoothly, the videos unfortunately aren't going to supersede my own experience.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Oddly enough, I have the snapdragon version and have only seen two instances of noticeable lag. So you could say the Exynos is better and that may be true, but my experience is the Snapdragon has been great. My experience matches the one shown in the video I was referencing.
Yeah I'm not trying to suggest that its bad or anything. Just that in terms of performance its nothing special, while the exynos one arguably is. Of course, people don't buy Samsung over say lg or even op3 because of performance, at least not in the strict sense of opening apps milliseconds faster.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not having any lagginess to complain of. However, I did notice when I had "Briefing" on my phone was actually quite a bit slower than after I turned it off.

DroidDawgS4

May 31, 2013
Visit site
You can search for any device on YouTube to find dirt on said device. Or you can search to find good about any device. Just thought i'd point that out. I could watch 5,000 videos telling me my Note 7 lags, but when i'm watching the videos on my Note 7 and it's functioning smoothly, the videos unfortunately aren't going to supersede my own experience.

Fair point.

And to the iPhone lovers: posts extolling the iPhone aren't particularly moving this thread along either. Most of us are here because we have a Note 7. If we were having issues with our iPhones, we'd be on a different forum.

As far as consistency, it's not just device-to-device consistency. In my case, the issue is very intermittent/inconsistent -- on that one device. At times, there's absolutely no lag -- it's as fast and smooth as the fastest desktop computers. Other times, it's as bad as what was described with the typing -- it's insufferable and cannot get a clean sentence out.

So, if someone has a suggestion on how this could be helped -- other than rooting, like I did on my other Samsung devices that do not have the problem, that would be great and very much appreciated. I'd rather not root the Note 7 for now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And here is your evidence that two people can watch the same video, one will see lag, the other will not.

Phone experiences are not something you can box people into. What works for you may not work for me. Telling someone they're in denial isn't a good response.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And here is your evidence that two people can watch the same video, one will see lag, the other will not.

Phone experiences are not something you can box people into. What works for you may not work for me. Telling someone they're in denial isn't a good response.

The fact that he said "Hangouts always ends up lagging with Samsung devices" made him completely not credible.

We have a hangout and people are on there with all kinds of androids and even iphones. The lag of Hangouts is not just Samsung. That is a Hangouts issue.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems a whole lot of cherry picking going on here. Why not go to forums where you lagvocates like a device and be constructive, or find something to complain about there :)

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

It is a perfectly reasonable response. Here is the truth.
Samsung speeds vs Apple speeds:
Start-up: iPhone 6S wins
System-level features and first party apps: Tie
Third party apps: Varies
Gaming and GPU-intensive apps: iPhone 6S wins
Browsing: Note 7 wins

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
This phone does lag and stutter at times

Compared to my HTC 10 this thing is definitely not nearly as smooth or fluid. My 10 used less RAM than the Note and that has a huge part to play

Dont get me wrong the Note is a great device but I'm not blown away by it by any means. Id be more than content returning the Note to stick with HTC 10.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Something is wrong... The internet app is very fast for me... Significantly faster than my Nexus 6 and htc 10 using the default internet app even when browsing Android Central on the desktop site. No connectivity issues when I am in an area with plenty of bandwidth.

Areas with a very weak data signal will cause connectivity issues.. But that is expected. Are you sure it isn't connectivity issues with your network?

I haven't experienced any keyboard lag, but I use Swiftkey flow. Works great for me.

Also it could be an app running amuck or something using up too much resources... You can use an app like os monitor to see what is using up cpu bandwidth.
+1
I had fifteen tabs open in the stock browser with not one issue. I also typed this post as fast as I could using SwiftKey and not one hiccup, except for my giant thumbs.

Verizon with an old SD card until I get my Samsung card. Most bloatware removed, including S Health, S Voice, NFL and all of the other "sales" apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87