Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
One thing I've noticed that makes the N7 feel laggier than the S7 Edge is that the N7 has a slower response the home button presses. I think this is (at least in part) deliberate to make it easier for the user to register multiple home button presses for quick launch of camera and one-handed mode. On the S7 Edge, the two presses for quick launch of camera had to be pretty fast to work. On the N7, it gives you more time and therefore is easier, but the downside is response is not as snappy.

If you turn off quick launch and one-handed operation settings, the phone is quicker because it is not waiting to see if you are going to press the home button again for quick launch of the camera (or one-handed mode).

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
WHen I was at my local T-Mo store yesterday, turning my N7 in for an S7E, the person helping me was speculating that Samsung would have to dial back the processor a bit to keep the heat down in the replacements, and take some pressure off the batteries. If she's right, I expect lag concerns will get worse, not better, in the replacement handsets.

HOW? Samsung already said it was some type of connector that touched something else i forget exactly what but nothing to do with how strong the battery or processor is Geez

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
My replacement S7 is completely lag free compared to the Note 7 in my experience. That is with the exact apps and setup. In fact I left briefing on as well, and it is running quite well. A very different experience compared to the N7(even after a full FDR on the N7 after 3 days of horrible lag). I always set up a phone as new and never restore. I used my OP3 as a backup before I replaced it and I forgot how lag free that phone was in comparison(same app load for me and usage)
I hope the N7 issues are resolved for both battery and lag or I won't be going back. When they start shipping I will definitely wait a bit to get some field input before I get one again.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My S7 edge is much faster than my note 7...Samsung really should upgrade the note 7s processor and upgrade the ram to 6 gb...I'm not sure I will get my replacement without some enhancements or software updates

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Can People that have previously owne recent models of Samsung tell me... how is Samsung in releasing updates after new new phone has been released? Especially within the first year of phone released?

It is really interesting to hear comments of people that have had a couple/few weeks of use on the Note 7 go to a S7/Edge and comment a noticeable difference in performance and less lag using the other models... I know lag was to be expected since most android site reviews have commented seeing it as well as many Note 7 reviews also corroborate lag like Flossy.

A little lag I can live with... it's not a Nexus so I don't expect it and touchwiz is notorious... but I'm hoping that during the year Samsung can push updates when needed to fix bugs. Outside Nexus my only other android exprience was LG G2 G3 and to be honest besides an OS upgrade a year later, I don't remember getting any regular updates.

The recent comments giving a comparison is very interesting.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My Note 7 had some crazy ghost touches last week, where it's like someone remoting into my phone and tapping randomly on it. After that, I have a lot of unresponsive touches and swipe which can be considered as lags in a way. Now waiting to exchange my units, hoping to solve all issues.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The note 7 has the most lag of any galaxy device I had since the note 3...hopefully it just needs some software updates Cuz I enjoyed the device when it ran smooth..maybe it was samsung cloud running in background and Knox causing it

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well the speculation is already starting that Samsung may end up scraping the Note 7 all together at this point (USA Today). And yes I understand, that's just speculation. And I hope it doesn't happen. But with the bad press, rightly so it's getting, I can see it happening.

At this point, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. May turn my attention to the LG V20 or the new Nexus/Pixel/Google device or I guess the S7EDGE<SIGH>

Last edited:

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Well the speculation is already starting that Samsung may end up scraping the Note 7 all together at this point (USA Today). And yes I understand, that's just speculation. And I hope it doesn't happen. But with the bad press, rightly so it's getting, I can see it happening.

At this point, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. May turn my attention to the LG V20 or the new Nexus/Pixel/Google device. <SIGH>
Not impossible, that's how stink Note 7 reputation is now. Hopefully they dun give up any support on us who are still holding to it.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

At this point, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. May turn my attention to the LG V20 or the new Nexus/Pixel/Google device. <SIGH>
If they scrap it, they better ensure our s7s or S7 edges are free......it would be even worse for them to scrap it...imagine how us pre-order customers would act.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Say they made only 4-5 million units so far... they'd be better off just stopping production on the Note 7 and concentrate on the S7/Edge. It's a total loss on the Note 7 at this point... forgot how much they lost today $10+ billion in market cap already for 3 weeks of publicity as well continue to damage their rep. The phone is way too expensive now with a rep like this.

With the Brooklyn boy with a Samsung Core... it could open their entire line to investigation if story turns into a bigger firestorm then it already is.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The brass at Samsung really have to be in panic mode. There market value has 14.3 b, billion dollars in a week (again, per USA Today. I better link to that article to help my credibility). People are going to lose their jobs over this. This is not good at all....even if it's just a very small percentage of devices. It's really really bad.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 problems are getting worse

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, i just packed mine up today to return it. I cant stand the lag, it got really bad at one point during the day. It literally took at times, about 2.5 seconds from finger print unlock to open the phone and not because of errors, just good old lag. I can't believe this is happening but hey, anything's possible. The battery life has left me completely empty on several occasions before i get to my house at 7pm. Believe me I'm trying to be objective here and fair with the amount of use compared( I absolutely love the looks of this phone and most of its features). I know i can't compare battery life with one day of heavy use vs another of light.

I didn't do any smart switch, clean setup, currently on T-mobile. The signal also has been an issue, i get less reception in the same places i go through out the day than with any prior phones.

Things aren't horrible but not worth the $900 i spent, no way in hell.

May I ask how on earth this happens? I have a Galaxy S5 and it runs buttery smooth. On a a few rare occasions, I notice a slowing and stuttering, so I restart it and all is good again. But like I say, it's a rare event.

How on earth can a phone 2 yrs later in development be having performance issues like this? This mighty Snapdragon 820 vs my 801.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Can People that have previously owne recent models of Samsung tell me... how is Samsung in releasing updates after new new phone has been released? Especially within the first year of phone released?

It is really interesting to hear comments of people that have had a couple/few weeks of use on the Note 7 go to a S7/Edge and comment a noticeable difference in performance and less lag using the other models... I know lag was to be expected since most android site reviews have commented seeing it as well as many Note 7 reviews also corroborate lag like Flossy.

A little lag I can live with... it's not a Nexus so I don't expect it and touchwiz is notorious... but I'm hoping that during the year Samsung can push updates when needed to fix bugs. Outside Nexus my only other android exprience was LG G2 G3 and to be honest besides an OS upgrade a year later, I don't remember getting any regular updates.

The recent comments giving a comparison is very interesting.

First 2 years are pretty great, compared to anything not nexus. Samsung is pretty much the only OEM to give the monthly security updates. But the yearly OS update tends to come out a little late, compared to some other oems.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes I heard of monthly securityt updates... but didnt know if can include just bug patches to touchwiz or other samsung apps? I know companies are putting their apps on google play to get around carriers to update their apps when needed. Yeah I loved my Nexus 4... so nice to get updates all the time directly from google and kept phone fresh... I think it got two OS cycle upgrades before I gave it to a relative.

First 2 years are pretty great, compared to anything not nexus. Samsung is pretty much the only OEM to give the monthly security updates. But the yearly OS update tends to come out a little late, compared to some other oems.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to stick it out with this phone till the google pixel is announced. It's supposed to have the snapdragon 821

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I hate to say I told people so, but back when all this happened and I was getting flamed for saying the phone had issues - I was right. I am on my 4th phone and the lag is unbearable. I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH... The first 3 phones, had no lag. Same apps, same sd card, no lag... The 4th one however, locks up, apps shut down, and or it just takes 3/10 seconds for something to open. Tried various cleaning apps, reset, etc... nothing resolves the lag.

Has anyone received a phone from the "new batch?!" If so, has samsung focused on resolving problems related to the complaints or just the battery? Curious to see where this goes... I did bench marks on all of the phones I had and "have" and what I found rather odd is that each one of them have numbers that varied in the 10,000 range. First phone was in the 140's, and others "like the one I have now" are in the 93,000 range for bench mark. I tested them all the same way, fresh out of the box, and with a master reset. I never thought I would be going through 4 phones or I would have screen shot all the info...

ScottJ28

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I had a pretty good amount of lag until I read somewhere in this post about disabling all of the bloatware apps (at&t) and uninstalling any apps that I don't use. But the major change in lag is when I went from large to small content scaling. After I did that last week, I haven't experienced any lag.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I had a pretty good amount of lag until I read somewhere in this post about disabling all of the bloatware apps (at&t) and uninstalling any apps that I don't use. But the major change in lag is when I went from large to small content scaling. After I did that last week, I haven't experienced any lag.

I did all of that and still had tons of lag. My wife did none of that and has very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress