samsung screen mirroring from phone to tablet

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have the note 9 with unlimited data. my hot spot however, is limited. I do not have any other internet connection, and am trying to find out how to mirror my note onto my s4 tablet to say, watch netflix on a larger screen without using hotspot data. Any help appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You used to be able to use SideSync to do that, but the app (for some reason) has been discontinued for the Note 9/Tab S4. You might find an APK and install it manually, but while some report it works for them, it didn't for me (the tab S4 never connects to the phone).

So, you'd have to use a VNC app. Plenty in the Play Store; you'd have to install a server side onto the phone and a client side to the tablet. HOWEVER, make sure the app you install supports direct WiFi connections, otherwise the mirroring will still need a router in-between. Also, chances are, for video, you'll find lag and choppiness.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the note 9 with unlimited data. my hot spot however, is limited. I do not have any other internet connection, and am trying to find out how to mirror my note onto my s4 tablet to say, watch netflix on a larger screen without using hotspot data. Any help appreciated.

The other device has to have that ability. The tablet would need it.

I had to buy a blue ray player with it so I could do this on my TV. Even those sticks need wifi or internet connection besides your phone to work (I tried one that people said worked, but didn't).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The other device has to have that ability. The tablet would need it.

I had to buy a blue ray player with it so I could do this on my TV. Even those sticks need wifi or internet connection besides your phone to work (I tried one that people said worked, but didn't).

Not true... IF they support WiFi Direct, which most popular models don't (They announced it to the Chromecast last year but it never happened). Rokus don't also don't support it. Some Samsung TVs do.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
You dont have the screen sharing option on your tab S4? I can screen share my note to my tab a 10.1 without wifi.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not true... IF they support WiFi Direct, which most popular models don't (They announced it to the Chromecast last year but it never happened). Rokus don't also don't support it. Some Samsung TVs do.

They asked about mirroring. I didn't think of other options that were similar. But your idea might just work for them.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I screen cast to my TCL Roku TV all the time. You do need wifi on to create the loop between the phone and the TV but it does not use any data from my router, just my phone data.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I've done this for a few years now since we're on metered internet. I've used my Note 4, Note 8 and now the Note 9 to do this. I use a TCL Roku TV also an Insignia TV (not a smart TV)

Turn on the house wifi

Turn on Smart view on the phone

Pick the TV to connect to

You should see a screen on the TV that says connecting

Connected.

It's very simple and connects in a matter of seconds. I've done this for a few years now and found that it will NOT stay connected if your home wifi is not on. As stated before, it does not use your wifi internet data (I know because I've been on 2G on the house wifi and I'm streaming HD video which cannot be done on 2G) it creates its own data loop between the TV and the phone using the phone's data connection. I've binged Downton Abbey, and several other series using this and have used 65 Gigs of phone data to do it with no data left on my house plan except for 2G.

Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same. I have not tried doing it with anything other than a TV. I will try it with my tablet a bit later to see if it works and let everyone know either way.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Update: I tried the screen mirroring on my Android RCA Atlas Pro 10+ and could not get it to mirror. It appears this is a difficult action to do. I checked the Play Store and there are a few apps that claim to be able to pull this off, the reviews are not stellar. Some have had success but most have not. At this point, I would say it is not possible at this time with the apps that are currently available. Maybe try XDA, someone over there may have a better solution for the OP.