Should you feel bad supporting Samsung (a foreign company)?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
That is correct, threads like this only breed more hate for the companies that we have no stake in. No one forces you or me to buy a particular phone or device, but nonetheless, i don't like to be told that i can't buy something that i like because someone has a totalitarian hold over it with a "style patent".

I followed this trial to a degree biased against Apple, but not biased for Samsung. I have owned 3 different iphones (3, 3gs and the 4) as well as an apple macbook, magic mouse and router. Apple designs some great products assembled by Foxconn, in China.

All of my tech purchases recently have been of Samsung, not because of their overwhelming appeal to me, but their devices were the better ones i looked at when i compared a few side by side. Apple devices always fall by the wayside anymore because either i do not want to pay $1500 to $2000 for a 13" laptop, or be hooked into itunes for app purchases. I like the amazon store as well as google play where i can choose either one for apps or media.

So, do i feel sorry for Samsung? Yes and no. I feel sorry for them in a sense that they apparently were railroaded by Apple, the US Patent Office, a seemingly biased judge with her idevices and a jury foreman that had something to prove to a foreign company. I don't feel sorry for them because this is a business issue, and if they are going to put out a device in the USA, they need to document the crap out of said device just for issues like this. Their lawyers didn't seem prepared until it was too late. They will recoup their losses, if the verdict stands, and probably profit from this just the same.

As for apple, they will get what is coming to them. The old saying applies here: "karma is a ". Apple was in a similar boat in the 80's where they were trying to get marketshare from Microsoft. They tried a lot of things, and fresh off pilfering xerox of their ideas, they thought they would release a gui before Microsoft did, to trump them in the market. The ploy failed as Microsoft announced Windows before Apple announced their OS.

One more thing, what would we be talking about today if Apple was never bailed out by Microsoft years ago to keep them in business. There's that karma thing rearing it's ugly head again. Apple seems to be throwing all of their eggs into two baskets now, iphone and ipad. Find a way to topple one or both, and the kingdom will fall. Heck, the iphone already seems to be withering.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
. So, do i feel sorry for Samsung? Yes and no. I feel sorry for them in a sense that they apparently were railroaded by Apple, the US Patent Office, a seemingly biased judge with her idevices and a jury foreman that had something to prove to a foreign company. I don't feel sorry for them because this is a business issue, and if they are going to put out a device in the USA, they need to document the crap out of said device just for issues like this. Their lawyers didn't seem prepared until it was too late. They will recoup their losses, if the verdict stands, and probably profit from this just the same.

So the judge is not allowed to own any "iDevices".

And threads like this exist because some people think that there was a supposed bias against a non-American company. Wow.

As for apple, they will get what is coming to them. The old saying applies here: "karma is a ". Apple was in a similar boat in the 80's where they were trying to get marketshare from Microsoft. They tried a lot of things, and fresh off pilfering xerox of their ideas, they thought they would release a gui before Microsoft did, to trump them in the market. The ploy failed as Microsoft announced Windows before Apple announced their OS.

One more thing, what would we be talking about today if Apple was never bailed out by Microsoft years ago to keep them in business. There's that karma thing rearing it's ugly head again. Apple seems to be throwing all of their eggs into two baskets now, iphone and ipad. Find a way to topple one or both, and the kingdom will fall. Heck, the iphone already seems to be withering.

Apple is nowhere near the dire situations they were in in the 80s. While iOS is no longer the market share king for smart phones, it still rules the growing tablet segment.

And you can't ignore the fact that Apple continues to have strong profits even though they don't lead in market share for smart phones and computers.

It's going to take a lot more for Apple to sink to those desperate levels.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jaebberwock

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
"When the latest project is completed, it will bring Samsung's total investment in Austin to more than $13 billion, making it one of the largest foreign investments in the United States." -Businessweek

I really don't care how much Samsung or Honda send back to their home countries, just like it matters not one iota to me where all the money Apple makes goes. In the hands of investment bankers and billionaires, it really isn't going to do much for me.

What I am concerned with is putting money in the hands of American workers. A millionaire or billionaire isn't going to consume that much more because they have that much more money. One person can only eat so much, wear so many clothes, have so many cars, frequent so many stores, or need so many things.

It is the workers working paycheck to paycheck that frequent the restaurants, that buy a pack of smokes along with filling their gas at the gas station, that pay local property taxes for their school district etc. Money comes in, money goes out with people like you or I. All these little $10-$20 transactions add up. A billionaire buying an extra plane doesn't get spread around so much, kinda localized to people who run in those circles.

What I'm leading up to is I would much rather buy a foreign brand that employs U.S. workers than a local brand that builds their stuff overseas. Apple off-shores all their production but they still do provide a lot of jobs, both at the corporate level at their campus and in the retail outlets (although pretty low paid over there).

Samsung has a local office here in California but they have also invested billions of dollars in FDI and provided thousands of jobs, and probably thousands of more secondary ones with their fabrication facilities.

See below, they've invested over $4 billion into upgrading an existing plan in Austin, Texas. The guys that work the plants will more than likely visit a local bbq joint or stop for a drink at a pub and inject money into the local economy.

Samsung's total investment in the plant in Austin will be over $13 Billion when complete, one of the largest FDI in the U.S. ever.

My Honda Accord was built in Ohio. A lot of Fords are built in Mexico. Which makes you more patriotic?

Samsung plans another $3 billion Austin investment [Austin American-Statesman] - Businessweek

irish-68

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
That GTO was the best car Pontiac ever saw in recent memory, until of course it's Australian successor came ashore :).

GM's Australian division, Holden, still makes some badass modern muscle cars, including the most recent GTO. The Australians love that stuff! Just using it as an example of what constitutes 'American'.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
GM's Australian division, Holden, still makes some badass modern muscle cars, including the most recent GTO. The Australians love that stuff! Just using it as an example of what constitutes 'American'.

I know, I owned one :). Best car I've ever owned and I long for it dearly. The build quality, parts, general fit, etc. were all superior to what Pontiac (and GM) was pumping out. The G8 even moreso. Such a shame it "failed," but that's what happens when they slap an inappropriate name on it (GTO).

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I thought Holden named the cars differently..

The US GTO was the Holden Monaro, while the US G8 was the Holden Commodore.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Just like the Samsung phones in the case and the EVO you used to type your post.

Exactly that's why u don't see me arguing about if i should be supporting one or the other American but instead making a statement to the other person that apple products are all made in china. And for the record my htc was made in Taiwan, not like apple does which would be inspired in Taiwan and made and China:D

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought Holden named the cars differently..

The US GTO was the Holden Monaro, while the US G8 was the Holden Commodore.

Not to take this off topic, but the Monaro = 2 door version of the Commodore. Monaro was axed, Commodore was the only one remaining.

Guru42

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
What I'm leading up to is I would much rather buy a foreign brand that employs U.S. workers than a local brand that builds their stuff overseas. Apple off-shores all their production but they still do provide a lot of jobs, both at the corporate level at their campus and in the retail outlets (although pretty low paid over there).

Samsung has a local office here in California but they have also invested billions of dollars in FDI and provided thousands of jobs, and probably thousands of more secondary ones with their fabrication facilities.

Exactly! :)

The foreign auto manufacturers build up a lot of good will and brand loyalty bringing their plants to the US. I was not aware of the Samsung facility in Texas. Very interesting,

Where a company has it corporate offices has less impact on your local economy than where it put people to work!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple, the great all American company, NOT. -->> The dark side of shiny Apple products The dark side of shiny Apple products - CBS News

Apple, the great all American company, NOT. -->> Human Costs Are Built Into an iPad
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/b...and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html

:(

But every electronics manufacturer nowadays has their products made in these conditions.

People blow this story up because it's Apple.

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
How is having the majority of your products made in china American? It burns me up when I hear people say that big companies like Ford, Chevy, and Apple claim to be American companies when they are not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you're really wanting to support an American company I would suggest an Intel powered phone. A lot of my family works there on R&D and trust me, Intel pours money into the American economy and their employees. But right now, Intel is playing catch up against Qualcomm and nVIDEA. But heck, I don't know about everyone else buy I would buy an Ivy Bridge i5 or i7 phone. Even if the battery lasted 8 hours Max. If they would just team up with Motorola and give it the huge battery that's in the Maxx they would have a great phone with an above average battery life. But I'm sure there are complications getting Android on Ivy Bridge processors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I completely understand that companies research each other all the time. I've had to produce documents on competing products before (mobile/social games related) but I wasn't at Zynga so we weren't making blatant copies of the works of other companies.

I feel EA vs. Zynga (or the guys who made Tiny Tower vs. Zynga, or Buffalo Studios, who made Bingo Blitz, vs. Zynga) is very similar to Apple vs. Samsung in this case.

IMO, there was enough evidence to paint Samsung copying Apple vs. Samsung being inspired by Apple to earn Apple the win in this particular case.

Just came back to read, and while I am sure that Samsung may have used some of "apple's" (because I am sure apple stole it from someone else anyway, as apple does not design, innovate, develop, or invent anything on its own except cheap sheet metal with an apple stamped in it), but it was even shown in court in this case that apple directly stole something that Samsung innovated and demo'ed to them and then claimed it as their own and then sued Samsung for using THEIR OWN development.

As far as the "excellent" quality of apple devices, I have had to work on / modify / repair several apple things ranging from ipods to computers, and I hate them all with the exception of the original ipod touch and the 3rd gen ipod.

Finally, there is nothing home-grown or even remotely American about apple except the company was registered here and the idea to start making money on other people's ingenious designs started in that garage - although I am pretty sure it was Bill Gates who started in the garage, and then Steve Jobs wanted to scam the industry that was developing with the relationship between raw hardware and software. Thus was born apple, to pose as the opposite for everything PC - and to charge a lot more for it.

While that last opinion may be a bit biased, it is by no means unfounded. At all.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
because I am sure apple stole it from someone else anyway, as apple does not design, innovate, develop, or invent anything on its own except cheap sheet metal with an apple stamped in it

Completely incorrect statements like this damage credibility.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just came back to read, and while I am sure that Samsung may have used some of "apple's" (because I am sure apple stole it from someone else anyway, as apple does not design, innovate, develop, or invent anything on its own except cheap sheet metal with an apple stamped in it), but it was even shown in court in this case that apple directly stole something that Samsung innovated and demo'ed to them and then claimed it as their own and then sued Samsung for using THEIR OWN development.

As far as the "excellent" quality of apple devices, I have had to work on / modify / repair several apple things ranging from ipods to computers, and I hate them all with the exception of the original ipod touch and the 3rd gen ipod.

Finally, there is nothing home-grown or even remotely American about apple except the company was registered here and the idea to start making money on other people's ingenious designs started in that garage - although I am pretty sure it was Bill Gates who started in the garage, and then Steve Jobs wanted to scam the industry that was developing with the relationship between raw hardware and software. Thus was born apple, to pose as the opposite for everything PC - and to charge a lot more for it.

While that last opinion may be a bit biased, it is by no means unfounded. At all.

There's a subtle difference between "claim as own" and simply owning a patent on something.

Can you please point me to the evidence where in the trial Samsung accuses Apple of stealing a technology or patented idea for use in smart phones or tablet devices that Samsung claims to have shown Apple previously?

Why did you hate those Apple devices? Was it simply because they were Apple devices? You give no reason to hate them.

Are you implying that Steve Jobs stole the idea to start a company out of a garage? lol.

Sounds like you let hate for a corporation cloud any rational thought.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're really wanting to support an American company I would suggest an Intel powered phone. A lot of my family works there on R&D and trust me, Intel pours money into the American economy and their employees. But right now, Intel is playing catch up against Qualcomm and nVIDEA. But heck, I don't know about everyone else buy I would buy an Ivy Bridge i5 or i7 phone. Even if the battery lasted 8 hours Max. If they would just team up with Motorola and give it the huge battery that's in the Maxx they would have a great phone with an above average battery life. But I'm sure there are complications getting Android on Ivy Bridge processors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Why Intel over Qualcomm? :)

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Why Intel over Qualcomm? :)

It's just a personal preference. I like Intel as a company and I love their products (currently using an i7 Quad Core MacBook Pro, don't hate bc I'm on a Mac) . Also, because I have close ties to Intel and know they treat their employees well, pay them well, and have real moral values as a company, unlike Apple's slave labor they use. However, Intel has always dominated the desktop and laptop industry so I would expect them to step in and dominate the mobile industry when the time comes. They already make ultra low voltage CPU's that could be easily used inside a phone, its just a matter of customizing, and enhancing the Android operating system to enhance and take full advantage of it and finding a manufacturer to partner with. Hopefully the rumors about an Intel powered Motorola phone being released next month are true and they do come out and dominate the industry! :) Not to mention Intel will bring a new level of power and efficiency to the Android world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress