S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
To be honest Zendroid1 we do not know. Going by what I see on here maybe 1 or 2% are affected. My first 2 were fine. I just had scratched screens. My new one just did it out of the blue one day. I sent mine back the samsung repair location and I am now waiting for it to come back. It also had the purple dot on the front camera. My wife's and parents phones are perfect. No issues. I think the longer you wait the better luck you will have.

Aistis72

May 4, 2015
Visit site
This is just big LOL i am done with SAMSUNG waiting for new iphone 7:D i dont think samsung is going to fix this rotation problem...because they simply cant or dont want, they just trying replacing phones on and on, and after some time using it goes down again, endless story....

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used the fast charger some I got my replacement and haven't had an issue. Or stays quite cool when charging work my Nokia charger and it's not that much longer. I mostly use wireless anyway.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten notification my phone has been fixed. It says component replaced. I would assume that means my accelerometer has been replaced. I'll only know once I get it back to run the test. I did ask them to have my purple spot on the front camera fixed as well. I don't use the front lens much anyways.

djpushplay

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is the fast charger per se...because some people use the fast charger and their phones do not get that hot. The problem is most surely heat related from "using" the fast charger but I think there's some other wiring, soldering, or hardware problem that is causing the extreme heat that is frying the accelerometer. I read where some phones get very hot when doing a combination of things like using the GPS and some other app at the same time which also could burn out certain components. I think the problem is with the accelerometer itself, or maybe just a bad batch of them and the flaw is exposed by too much heat no matter how it's generated.

When I used the fast charger on my first 2 S6 edge, the phone got extremely hot to the point where I thought something was wrong and indeed it did break it. My 3rd phone does not get that hot when I use the fast charger. At first, I thought it might be some app causing it but on my second phone, I plugged it in BEFORE I updated the phone. I did not download any apps either on that one before it broke. I did the exact same procedure with my 3rd phone and it did not break.

It worries me that Samsung has decided to "fix" the problem with a software patch that emulates the accelerometer registers using the gyroscope data. If it was possible to emulate the numbers exactly, they would not have the accelerometer chips on there to save money. Obviously, it's there because it provides information that you cannot get with the other chips.

KRW1

May 9, 2015
Visit site
My Verizon S6 Edge had the auto rotation and brightness glitch. Today was my 14th day so I went to the store to find out my options. They were leaning heavily that I should hold tight and wait for an update to correct the issues. No one looked at my phone to examine the issues. I explained that Samsung was swapping out parts for some people with the issue. I told them a software patch to override a defective component is not acceptable to me. They gave me the run around but I stood my ground. In the end I received a non Edge version S6 with a $100. credit due to the lower cost and no restocking fee. It wasn't easy to get that but when you pay that company 1K for the phone and accessory pack (Grandfathered Unlimited data package) in addition to close to $100. a month for over a decade you have bargaining power. I chose the non Edge version in an attempt to not have further problems. Getting 2 or 3 defective Edges isn't my idea of fun. My plan is to use the quick charger when necessary but leaving the case off for ventilation. I'll also wait a few days when an update comes through to see if it's problematic or not before installing it.

Last edited:

wxchris

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Had the screen rotation issue with my 1st Edge 128gb right out of the box. Just got my new replacement phone swapped out from Verizon on the 11th and have fast charged it 4 times already and no issues yet. It does not get anywhere as hot as the first phone. This one gets slightly warm for the 1st half of charging then cools down the 2nd half. It is in the Verizon silicone case when charging and even fast charging inside that flat on the table it still has not failed yet. It's the same China phone with same hardware v.04 so I'm guessing it's just a batch of lemons from China that passed by the QC process or lack thereof. Maybe a few of the Lumber Liquidator employees got hired at the Samsung plant?!?! :)

Posted via the Android Central App

KRW1

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Another observation I wanted to add. I bought my Verizon s6 Edge on April 30th. In the settings it said it had a factory reset on April 15th. Does that seem suspicious to anyone? When I returned that phone yesterday to get the regular S6 they did a factory reset in front of me. I wonder what the chances of that phone going to another buyer and if this happens in the industry. My new phone says factory reset unknown, which is why I'm questioning this. Does anyone have a factory reset date prior to your purchase date?

Alberto Garcia1

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here.
Samsung is selling defective phones knowingly and don't care
Do not buy Samsung 6 edge
I talk to Samsung and they told me "send your phone we are not going to give you a temp. phone "
you will be with no phone for about 2 weeks .
buyer be ware

jrnyer

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Another observation I wanted to add. I bought my Verizon s6 Edge on April 30th. In the settings it said it had a factory reset on April 15th. Does that seem suspicious to anyone? When I returned that phone yesterday to get the regular S6 they did a factory reset in front of me. I wonder what the chances of that phone going to another buyer and if this happens in the industry. My new phone says factory reset unknown, which is why I'm questioning this. Does anyone have a factory reset date prior to your purchase date?
May I ask, how do you know this?

Art Jumper

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I sent mine back, just a real piece of crap. Other problems started to crop up, phone would ring, I would swipe to answer and I could start talking but the phone would continue to ring throughout the entire conversation. Only way to make it stop was to power off or restart. Another issue music would just start playing, no app was displayed as running, again only way to make it stop was to restart. Phone was possessed. I had bought the phone outright with no contract, I requested and was granted a full refund, I was still within my 14 days. Still have not purchased another phone.

Aistis72

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here.
Samsung is selling defective phones knowingly and don't care
Do not buy Samsung 6 edge
I talk to Samsung and they told me "send your phone we are not going to give you a temp. phone "
you will be with no phone for about 2 weeks .
buyer be ware

Agree with you 100% dont buy crap Samsung edge better wait for Iphone 7 or so, because Samsung dont care about customers, i phoned to Samsung Lithuania and they said they dont know anything about rotation issues, just LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyJabRwDuDc

Last edited:

Cindir4

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Of course my edge, which I pre ordered and got on day 1 of release, decided to act up and quit rotating just recently. Past the 14 day window. I spoke with Verizon but could only get a refurbished one for a replacement, which seems counter productive. I now have a new one that doesn't work right, why would I swap it out for one someone already had trouble with? I guess I will wait awhile with fingers crossed that an update fixes this. I have nothing to lose by waiting, if I am only going to get a refurbished one anyway. I am not such a happy camper right now. I have been a loyal Samsung customer for many generations of phones, but this kinda has me rethinking that whole thing.

ap

KRW1

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Of course my edge, which I pre ordered and got on day 1 of release, decided to act up and quit rotating just recently. Past the 14 day window. I spoke with Verizon but could only get a refurbished one for a replacement, which seems counter productive. I now have a new one that doesn't work right, why would I swap it out for one someone already had trouble with? I guess I will wait awhile with fingers crossed that an update fixes this. I have nothing to lose by waiting, if I am only going to get a refurbished one anyway. I am not such a happy camper right now. I have been a loyal Samsung customer for many generations of phones, but this kinda has me rethinking that whole thing.

ap

I feel for you. I've debated what to do if I missed my 14 day window and instead of getting a refurbished one I would have sent mine back to Samsung for repair. Verizon told me they would get my old phone working again if I needed to do that. Plus Samsung may replace hardware for the fix instead of applying a software patch to bypass a hardware issue.

I don't know how we ended up being beta testers for Samsung but it looks like we are. Hopefully all of us who purchased right after launch will be made completely whole. It seems unlikely but if they don't give us brand new glitch free devices then who will buy their future phones right away when they launch the S7? Right now they are on the right path if they want lackluster sales on future releases. I was forced to get the non edge version but that's not what I want. It seems like everyone around here is paying a price for faulty workmanship except for Samsung and the carriers.

mahe kolla

May 18, 2015
Visit site
This is my 3 rd phone from VZ and they policy suck as they are giving the new phone in only 14 days of problem identification. I bought it from go wireless and they replace and for the 3 rd one they didn't give a replacement , I didn't give up i tried calling the customer care and made lot of trips to store and i Go the 3rd replacement. There is one thing i have discovered go wireless is charging me 850 per 64 edge . So i did a swap from go wireless to Verizon corporate and my price got switched to 799. If you find the issue after 14 days you have no luck because you are going to get a refurbished phone for the mistake that is done by Samsung. I have also contacted the Samsung guys, they asked me to take the picture in every 90 degrees to calibrate the sensor but nothing worked out.:-[:-[:-[

mahe kolla

May 18, 2015
Visit site
All of them i Guess because the manufacturing process is done by the machines so according to my guess if we are testing the device properly every one should see the issues.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The government needs to look into this. It is a rip off really. You cannot properly fix a hardware problem with software. The hardware should be recalled.