Forbes calls S6 sales so far "Disastrous"

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Quick look: The LG G4 official extra battery kit | Android Central

Deals like these don't really target apple sales more than android sales and will chip away at Samsung sales. For every million more phones companies like LG or Motorola sell per year in the past were Samsung sales.

Big box retailers like Best Buy offers gift cards to entice preorders. LG is giving away or including a spare battery and sd card. To your point, there are a lot of choices and consumers while trying to find choices that they have been loyal to in the past have a ton of choices.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Last year's Galaxy S5, complete with replaceable battery, water proofing and card slot, was a sales disaster. And, as usual, Samsung marketed it heavily. Pounding home those afore mentioned critical differences between the S5 and iphone. But the S5 still performed poorly in the market place. It sold roughly 10 million in its first month. Iphone 6 came along and sold that much in the first weekend, with a record number of converts from Android.
So Samsung, now exasperated and gasping for ideas, waived the white flag of surrender and decided to go with the iPhone route, replete with all metal/glass chassis, finger print scanner and no card slot. Samsung, forced to its knees, had to admit that in order to compete with Apple they would have to fight on Apple's terms.
Enter the Galaxy S6. Or the Samsung iphone S6. Samsung bet the house that if the iPhone can rake in monster sales without a replaceable battery, no card slot and an OS and processor that pales in comparison to Android, then common sense would dictate that an iphone aping Galaxy S6 running Android, with all its power and customizable goodness, surely would be the answer. Built like an iPhone yet running Android. The most well constructed, most beautiful, most powerful mobile device in the Galaxy. Win win right?
Wrong.
Dismal sales of last year's S5 and the invincible S6 signal that apparently Samsung might be finally cycling out of the public favor. A malady that has affected every other OEM at some point except Apple. Apple has become a part of popular culture. Love it or loathe it, but the mass hysteria come iphone launch time is irrefutable. That's the important difference between Samsung and its bitter enemy Apple.
The iPhone has become iconic. Samsung's devices are just commodities. Looking like an iPhone apparently won't change that.
Even the biggest waves have to eventually come crashing down on the beach. Samsung can definitely see the beach.

Last edited:

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Last year's Galaxy S5, complete with replaceable battery, water proofing and card slot, was a sales disaster. And, as usual, Samsung marketed it heavily. Pounding home those afore mentioned critical differences between the S5 and iphone. But the S5 still performed poorly in the market place. It sold roughly 10 million in its first month. Iphone 6 came along and sold that much in the first weekend, with a record number of converts from Android.
So Samsung, now exasperated and gasping for ideas, waived the white flag of surrender and decided to go with the iPhone route, replete with all metal/glass chassis, finger print scanner and no card slot. Samsung, forced to its knees, had to admit that in order to compete with Apple they would have to fight on Apple's terms.

I know the media compares them as equals, but they are not in terms of how they must do business. Apple is a proprietary op system + phone/devices that you can get from no other competitor. Samsung is one of many who builds devices only mated to another co's op system. You can get budget, knock offs, mid range, to alternate branded high end devices running the same android op system.

For Samsung to be similar to Apple, they would have to develop their own op system(s). Pretty daunting task given they would have to compete against the very system they used to build their portfolio in the smartphone market in addition to the obvious, Apple. Additionally the market is very dedicated in terms of how many apps are available to both of these systems. Without one or the other having a major failure, cannot imagine a new player being introduced with any sort of success.

Personally I view articles like the one on Forbes as click bait. Wouldn't matter if it was positive/negative for Android, Apple, other op systems etc. They know people are passionate about their devices & will click on a sales win or loss.

Edit: I know Tizen is out there, just do not know the status as have not really read much about it in the last year or so.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
"Disastrous" my rear end. Someone has to put a LITTLE perspective into these things. Do people run out and buy new big-screen TV sets every time a new model comes out? Of course not. Do people run out and buy new notebook computers every time a new model comes out? Of course not.

At some point in time, the smartphone technology essentially matures to the point where there just plain aren't enough "got to have it" features in new phones to make vast sums of people to void their contracts and spend a whole bunch of extra money "just to have the latest, greatest" phone. And I sure think we have reached that point. Of course, the exception is Apple, which has cultivated a cult-like response to its new products, and perhaps that's why they are swimming in profits. Still, "normal" human beings often tend to have some intellect and financial responsibility, and just aren't going to go standing outside a store for three days just be the first to get a new cell phone.

I expect the S6 to be a sales success, but it just might not get the kind of nonsensical reaction that Apple fanatics like Forbes might think are necessary for a new consumer product in the current market. Plus, Samsung is covering the market a bit more broadly than they have before -- if you want to trade a slim, trim, stylish phone for one with a replaceable battery and a MicroSD card, and live with the extra bulk needed for those features, Samsung will still have a phone to sell you.

And so on. I think the Forbes article is just a bunch of malarkey.

I would agree if the other companies weren't having so much success ... like laptops and TVs, they'll definitely be a time when we reach that point. I've stated that we're already there, but the numbers say otherwise.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Still speculating, though not unlikely. Even if sales are behind, last year, it doesn't mean that the redesign was a bad decision. In the long run, the new direction will,pay off. Unlike previous version, two differentiating features were excluded and a number of improvements were added in their place. Could it also be that having to roll out patches and possibly working on the upcoming updates to address the issues plaguing the GS6 have more priority?

do u think it's the design or people are just tired of TW and even though it's skimmed down, they're tired of it? or maybe there's just to much competition BT the IPhone 6 and other android devices?

it's not my cup of tea, and I'll wait for Samsung to release their numbers before reaching a conclusion, but I honestly thought the S6 was gonna shatter the S5's numbers. I get why I don't like it (I love it, but you know what I mean) but I wonder, if the articles from Business Insider and Forbes are true, why the masses don't.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
In my area the Verizon corporate stores are stil having trouble keeping S6 models in stock. Makes me wonder if there are also supply issues on Samsung's end. I've also noticed that the "authorized retailers" around here really push hard to put everyone in an iPhone. I will only buy from a corporate store or best buy because the service is better, but I still like to check out the other retailers and they really lay it on thick.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When you have companies like Asus, Alcatel and Blu, making High end specs phones below $250 for this side of the world, while Miuzu, Xiaomi and Huawei are taking little by little Asian market with their own low to mid range budget phones, there is no way Samsung or any other Android manufacturer company will stay with same market share they had years ago, completely nonsense. Years ago none of this company were even in most people's minds and some of them didn't even exist, simple math, same pie with more participants equals to less market share for the previous reigning champions.

Samsung became the Apple's Android years ago when they simply took over the Android's world, Android would not be what it is right now without Samsung, no matter what the usual Samsung's haters think or say, they are **** hurt for long time now, I'm not a Samsung lover, I've had, LG, HTC, Sony, OnePlus and Motorola phones in the past year plus my Galaxy S5, Note 4 and now S6 edge, so I just use the phone I like and want at the moment, but we must be honest to ourselves and give credit where it's due, for a lot of regular people not us tech geeks, Android=Samsung, so this so called "magazines" and the rest of the so called "reporters" that have always been pro Apple, as soon as they can they will try to hurt Samsung with Bad press.

I couldn't care less if Samsung just sold one S6 edge and it was mine, Samsung won't go anywhere even if from now on they don't sell half of that, half of that is even better than what the rest of the other big players combined are doing, if Sony, basically in Bankruptcy, is still making phones, Samsung will keep doing them for long years to come, and if they are as great as the S6 edge, I can easily be the only one that buy it.

I'll keep enjoying it until I decide that I want another phone. Great phone, great and unique design, thin, powerful, latest and future proof tech, with every possible feature I want and could exist on a phone and giving me a great battery life, what else can I ask for? Haters gonna hate...

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
When you have companies like Asus, Alcatel and Blu, making High end specs phones below $250 for this side of the world, while Miuzu, Xiaomi and Huawei are taking little by little Asian market with their own low to mid range budget phones, there is no way Samsung or any other Android manufacturer company will stay with same market share they had years ago, completely nonsense. Years ago none of this company were even in most people's minds and some of them didn't even exist, simple math, same pie with more participants equals to less market share for the previous reigning champions.

Samsung became the Apple's Android years ago when they simply took over the Android's world, Android would not be what it is right now without Samsung, no matter what the usual Samsung's haters think or say, they are **** hurt for long time now, I'm not a Samsung lover, I've had, LG, HTC, Sony, OnePlus and Motorola phones in the past year plus my Galaxy S5, Note 4 and now S6 edge, so I just use the phone I like and want at the moment, but we must be honest to ourselves and give credit where it's due, for a lot of regular people not us tech geeks, Android=Samsung, so this so called "magazines" and the rest of the so called "reporters" that have always been pro Apple, as soon as they can they will try to hurt Samsung with Bad press.

I couldn't care less if Samsung just sold one S6 edge and it was mine, Samsung won't go anywhere even if from now on they don't sell half of that, half of that is even better than what the rest of the other big players combined are doing, if Sony, basically in Bankruptcy, is still making phones, Samsung will keep doing them for long years to come, and if they are as great as the S6 edge, I can easily be the only one that buy it.

I'll keep enjoying it until I decide that I want another phone. Great phone, great and unique design, thin, powerful, latest and future proof tech, with every possible feature I want and could exist on a phone and giving me a great battery life, what else can I ask for? Haters gonna hate...
You can follow the crowd like sheep and suffer from terminal groupthink or you can unplug from the matrix and use your own resources to figure out what works best for you. If it's Apple or Android, buy it knowing you made up your own mind and not just because it's cool and everyone is buying it. Don't let any brand tell what you like or need and go with the brand that does a better job of listening to you and allows you to decide if you want to tweak the device. I have no problem being in a meeting with a large group of people and being one of the few Android device because I did my research and made up my own mind rather than being a groupthink fanboy. Spewing talking points and following the crowd is easy but making the effort to make up your own mind is what separates you from the sheep on either farm, Android or Apple.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If they keep selling less and less they certainly won't stay where they are. They put so much more in developing and even marketing than their competitors that they can't survive at numbers a company like LG can. They won't be making phones that cost more to make than an iPhone 6. They may not even make an Android phone!! Yes that's right, they can say screw Android if they can't make money on it and decide to go Tizen OS.

It looks like they wanted to when they thought they owned the Android world and get S-sheep to follow if they went with their own OS and own ecosystem. But now they may reconsider if they think the field is too saturated and they can't make money on Android and might as well go own OS. They already abandoned any windows mobile right?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If they keep selling less and less they certainly won't stay where they are. They put so much more in developing and even marketing than their competitors that they can't survive at numbers a company like LG can. They won't be making phones that cost more to make than an iPhone 6. They may not even make and Android phone!! Yes that's right.,they can say screw Android if they can't make money on it and decide to go Tizen OS. They already abandoned any windows mobile right?

If they don't spend more in development and stay with whatever they have right now, what do they have? A budget just like LG, HTC or Sony and those other big players still sell millions of devices.

Of course they want to keep been at the top, who doesn't? But a company as huge as Samsung can bleed a lot more than the others and still sell millions and millions of phones just by having a Samsung logo on it. Tizen? Do you think they are that stupid? Have you heard something else about Tizen lately? They have that for their own experiment, they have that kind of huge money to be able to do this trials and errors, but they know their bread and butter is Android.

What I clearly mentioned before was that if companies like Sony and HTC without the huge advertisement and development budget that Samsung has and still manage to survive making good phones and selling millions then Samsung is going nowhere no matter what the haters would love to think. Heads will roll at the top of the Company, members of the board will be alarmed, stock price will surely take a hit, but they will still be making Android phones and selling millions, a lot more than LG, HTC, Sony and Motorola will ever sell, and like I mentioned before, if whatever they come with is as great as the S6 Edge I'll be buying it and enjoying it like I'm doing with this one.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If they keep selling less and less they certainly won't stay where they are. They put so much more in developing and even marketing than their competitors that they can't survive at numbers a company like LG can. They won't be making phones that cost more to make than an iPhone 6. They may not even make and Android phone!! Yes that's right.,they can say screw Android if they can't make money on it and decide to go Tizen OS. They already abandoned any windows mobile right?
Samsung, forget tv and appliances and laptops and other product diversification, is larger than LG and most of its completion combined. Add those things back and Samsung has more than enough resources long after those brands have become dust. The current trend with the phones isn't a good one. The GS6 should have been released as the GS4 or GS5 thus the change in direction both dorm a design perspective and a management team philosophy. They can and will recover but it will be harder with the huge increase in competition in the smartphone space even Apple won't be immune for long. Before the i6 and the Apple watch, Apple did make incremental improvements but spent most of their time litigating patent infringement with who, Samsung. Apple introduced a decent sized screen for a flagship after how many years or NFC, still no true multitasking or wireless charging or more than just tap n go mobile payment or non QHD screen or true widgets or other device customization. Both sides got sucked into the "I've gotten so large, I don't have to innovate to compete". Both have awakened and moving positively in the right direction for those who prefer the respective ecosystem.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

If that's the case, why not just purchase an iPhone, you know, go with the real thing? Why buy an iPhone knock-off?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Forget how unbiased the author is and the unnamed sources. Since there is no Edge variant for the GS4 and GS5, total GS6 sales including the Edge variant have reached the 10 million mark, it may taken longer but the design is radically different it's predecessors so acceptance may take longer. If it were an Apple clone, there would be no wireless charging, QHD screen, better camera and video, true multitasking, functional widgets, dual mobile payment and rapid charging.

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Forget how unbiased the author is and the unnamed sources. Since there is no Edge variant for the GS4 and GS5, total GS6 sales including the Edge variant have reached the 10 million mark, it may taken longer but the design is radically different it's predecessors so acceptance may take longer. If it were an Apple clone, there would be no wireless charging, QHD screen, better camera and video, true multitasking, functional widgets, dual mobile payment and rapid charging.

How often do people use multiwindow? I can bet you that normal users dont use that feature that much. I have a Gs5 and I think FHD is excellent enough. The difference is pretty small except if you have super rye. I agree with you with the camera and the video, rapid charging, and mobile payments.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
How often do people use multiwindow? I can bet you that normal users dont use that feature that much. I have a Gs5 and I think FHD is excellent enough. The difference is pretty small except if you have super rye. I agree with you with the camera and the video, rapid charging, and mobile payments.
Use it a lot with the browser and stock email. Point is, while Apple devices are highly optimized and more stable, they only have task switching and still no wireless charging.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Use it a lot with the browser and stock email. Point is, while Apple devices are highly optimized and more stable, they only have task switching and still no wireless charging.

vgergo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am happy for the news, I hope this will stop Samsung from making the same mistakes with the Note 5, which I was hoping to get, but not if Samsung leaves out sd-card expandability and replaceable batteries. I see no value in making iphone lookalikes, with all their limitations, and I am happy to see many others also think this way.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez