Update from iPhone Users who switched

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Customization is good on Android, but who customizes these days. Make it look like stock AOSP and everyone's happy.

Google Maps ironically is worse on Android, choppy FPS. Although it might get a few features before iOS.

Notifications are the same, I actually much prefer iOS notification controls - one place to control all app notifications.

Multitasking is the same. Except on Samsung's phones which are actually worse, because it keeps like 8 apps in memory on 4gb of RAM compared to iOS which can do like 12 on 2gb of RAM.

Widgets exist on iOS, it's just in the Notification Pulldown rather than on the screen.

So you've used the S7? I can find a lot of YouTube videos heaping praise on to the S7 as well. Well, to each his own

cbdwolff7

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Just my 2 cents, I walked into a BestBuy, looked at the S7 and Note5. My friend was with me with a shattered screen LG but still useable. The Samsung guy said "try these" and threw both phones at us, they hit the concrete floor and no damage at all. I said "yeah but what happens with a corner hit, the screen will shatter". He procceded to toss up 6 feet in horizontal position, it hit the corner bounced he picked it up and said, "Try it out" It worked perfectly and no damage. Samsung does make tough phones now, Oh and it know's how to swim, "LOL". I walked out with a Note 5 only because I liked the S-Pen for my work. I want a S7 also probably will just go get one to. I don't know if a 6S could pull that off. I had a co-worker already need a screen replacement on a 3 week old 6S. This is a true story and only my 2 cents worth. Good luck on your decision and to all, "It all come's down to personal preference" Now go have a nice Day!

BigHonu

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Switched from an iPhone6

S7 Edge advantages:
Screen has much better brightness and clarity.
Water resistant.
Camera adjusts to changes in brightness a tad faster. Great low light pictures
Battery lasts a little longer with similar use.
Charges up more quickly

S7 Edge disadvantages:
Google Maps is jittery and images take longer to draw.
Screen is way too sensitive to touch.
The focus in video mode takes longer to settle in.
Editing video using the Samsung editor is painful, especially when you are looking frame by frame towards the end of a video.
Android is not quite as polished. Restarts on its own, SD card notification popping up regularly, notifications are inconsistent.

Things that are a draw:
Pictures are slightly sharper, but oversaturated. Iphone pictures have better color, but not as sharp.
Operating systems. Different strokes for different folks. I like how efficient iOS is with its resources, but enjoy the options that Android brings.
Fingerprint sensor has about the same failure rate.
Neither is jitter free, but both rarely exhibit signs of it (gaming aside).

Things that surprised me about the S7 Edge:
Some games tend to hiccup and stutter. Where the iPhone counterpart does not.
Battery management is better since the last Android phone I had (HTC One M7), but not as good as I hoped.
I thought the edge screen would be more useful, i.e. it would be nice to be able to scroll the Calendar edge screen to go to the next day.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm about to go from a 6s plus to an S7. I have tried switching before but can't stay away from iPhone for more than a month. I'd like to stay away for a year just to really give it a good amount of time, but for now I'll commit to a month and keep my iPhone in a drawer. I love the smaller phone with awesome specs that an S7 has to offer, but missing out on iMessage and specifically group texts in iMessage once I've switched is a pain in the a**. Also, I miss photo sharing with iPhone people and family in an easy fashion. I love Google Now and Ok Google beats Siri any day. I also love the QHD display on the S7 and the notifications. Any way around that and the group text issue? I'm hoping after a month I can stay with Android. I think the S7 has the potential to keep me there.

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to a galaxy S6 Edge since i saw one on sale and I'm finally seeing marshmallow on s6. I love the iPhone but I've been tempted to jump on Android since the last moto phone i had. Mainly for the camera but I'm worried I'll miss the ability to pick up phone calls from the laptop. And i do like how iPhone keeps all my passwords and credit card details and text expander across devices. If i want iPhone widget style I'll just grab snap widget and i heard the slide over from s7 edge is coming to the s6 edge for the new widgets as well.

dizzll

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
6+ battery lasts longer on screen by a couple hours. Other than that my S7 is far superior. Torrents, emulation, customized screens, on and on...

dizzll

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm about to go from a 6s plus to an S7. I have tried switching before but can't stay away from iPhone for more than a month. I'd like to stay away for a year just to really give it a good amount of time, but for now I'll commit to a month and keep my iPhone in a drawer. I love the smaller phone with awesome specs that an S7 has to offer, but missing out on iMessage and specifically group texts in iMessage once I've switched is a pain in the a**. Also, I miss photo sharing with iPhone people and family in an easy fashion. I love Google Now and Ok Google beats Siri any day. I also love the QHD display on the S7 and the notifications. Any way around that and the group text issue? I'm hoping after a month I can stay with Android. I think the S7 has the potential to keep me there.

I made all iPhone friends download Whatsapp. That way I can switch between any device and we're good...

Truman82

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Try Here maps, works quite nicely. I left iPhone 6 for this and don't regret it. Well there is times I get frustrated with this for example the camera refuses to take pictures but i guess the pro's weight more than cons.

blackburn5bw

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
This quickly turned into a slanging match as usual...it's supposed to be your thoughts on your switch... not random people saying why the iPhone is better...
You just can't get away from this nonsense

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This quickly turned into a slanging match as usual...it's supposed to be your thoughts on your switch... not random people saying why the iPhone is better...
You just can't get away from this nonsense
I agree. I try to stay away from the arguments and it's why my user name here says retired moderator below it.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
The thing of it is every operation has its kinks and it's flaws, period. The galaxy s7 was the first phone in a while that wasn't under rated for me... the 6s plus for me was. Yes apple is amazing... but so is android. It's just varied on the user experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to a galaxy S6 Edge since i saw one on sale and I'm finally seeing marshmallow on s6. I love the iPhone but I've been tempted to jump on Android since the last moto phone i had. Mainly for the camera but I'm worried I'll miss the ability to pick up phone calls from the laptop. And i do like how iPhone keeps all my passwords and credit card details and text expander across devices. If i want iPhone widget style I'll just grab snap widget and i heard the slide over from s7 edge is coming to the s6 edge for the new widgets as well.

Thanks snap widget just saved me from returning to the iphone for now. I really missed the widgets in the notification drawer. Easy access to view anything I need.

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I came from the 6+ and haven't looked back the 7 edge is very fast and has excellent battery life. The sensitivity of the screen was bothering me at first but that has been corrected by Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding some of the Google Maps comments here. I've read more than one poster here who has mentioned Google Maps being a bit jittery on Android. Are you talking about when navigating? I use Google maps fairly frequently on my Nexus 6P and have never had an issue. It's buttery smooth. Just wondering....thanks.

GC

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I switch back and forth all the time - you just need to turn off iMessage on your Apple devices (potentially deregister your phone number), but then it just forces all iMessages to defualt to SMS instead - still in the iMessage app. As I always tell my wife - Green, not Blue for me!!!
The first time someone sends to you, it identifies a fail, and asks if they want to send as SMS instead - from then on iMessage will default to SMS for messages to you.