Turned my screen resolution to 1080p and...

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't have to downgrade your phone's best capabilities to preserve battery life.

When I tested the QHD vs FHD, I noticed zero difference in battery life

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Shouldn't have to downgrade your phone's best capabilities to preserve battery life.

Except its not a downgrade. Plenty of 1080p phones have gorgeous screens, and this one is no different. And I didn't have to do it. I chose to. The added screen time was surprising and welcome.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Except its not a downgrade. Plenty of 1080p phones have gorgeous screens, and this one is no different. And I didn't have to do it. I chose to. The added screen time was surprisingly and welcome.
I will say to the naked eye you can't tell the difference, but changing it to 720p is downright silly.

See and I saw zero difference in screen time.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I will say to the naked eye you can't tell the difference, but changing it to 720p is downright silly.

I saw it right away. I wonder if anyone else has noticed it. At least you did try it so there was some curiosity there. lol

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Same here. Sammy's battery stats says it gives me an extra 20mins battery apparently, 0 noticeable difference to SOT mind

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I mostly look at text on my phone, I can't tell a big enough difference to stay on 2k. I'm on the nougat beta and can't use my gear vr until I'm on official because Verizon stopped the beta so I have nothing to make me use a higher screen resolution. As long as you use the smallest DPI settings, you can continue to see everything on the screen.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Exactly.

It makes zero difference, the Estimate is useless as it's all down to how you use the phone that day.

Mine is set to WQHD. Why downgrade my display to get no benefit?

I also noticed that in 1080P text in apps like WhatsApp look a bit jagged and thick, not smooth as they are in WQHD.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Now you know why I get amazing battery life on my 7 Plus! I'd rather have 1080p resolution and amazing battery life than 2K and so-so battery life.
I get amazing battery life on WQHD in my S7 Edge, over 6h SOT consistently.

I'd never go back to a 1080P phone, I left that 3years ago in my Galaxy S4.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Exactly.

It makes zero difference, the Estimate is useless as it's all down to how you use the phone that day.

Mine is set to WQHD. Why downgrade my display to get no benefit?

I also noticed that in 1080P text in apps like WhatsApp look a bit jagged and thick, not smooth as they are in WQHD.

Except I use my phone the same way now as I always have. Going to 1080p has extended my battery life by quite a bit.

In no way is anybody saying anyone else has to follow suit. I'm giving my experience in case others are interested, or have done so and noticed something similar.