Why S8+ and not S8?

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Didn't Samsung come out with a like 7 inch phone a few years back.... I think they called it the Galaxy Mega? Did you get that phone I think it was around the Note 2 time frame.

I believe it was 6.3 inches but with bigger bezels the phone was a monster I don't think it sold very well

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
According to this article it appears that Apple is coming out with a curved screen this year. They are also introducing wireless charging. Both of these features have been made big from Samsung, but now it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread and all Apple did is copy Samsung again. I am assuming the Apple phone released with the curved screen will be the $1,000 version that is being rumored.

A side note, if Apple does change the screen ratio like LG and Samsung then IMO the filming industry will change. It doesn't appear that will happen though this time around, according to article, the biggest screen is going to be 5.5 inches, the curved screen version is going to be 5.2 inches.

Exclusive: Apple has ordered 70m units of OLED panels: sources- Nikkei Asian Review

I mean Apple could take cow turds and slap an Apple logo on it and people would line up for two days waiting to buy it.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The 18/9 ratio is just fine. No issues. I had the G6. It scaled just fine. Had a option to fill the black bars on the ends it would stretch the screen which I believe the s8 does if I recall. Could be wrong.

Howarddeyle

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why S8+ and not S8?like the larger phones.

Hi, I just want to know for the ones who will buy the S8+ their reason to buy it.Do u think S8 is really not big enough or just you're used to big phones.I've always had samsund S series phones.But I feel now that my S7 is too small.Is the S8 enough bigger than the S7?

[SUP]sister to read. r[/SUP]

Thomas Jordan

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm going for S8 plus. It has a similar footprint to my current phone the Microsoft Lumia 950Xl. So thought I might as well as I don't find that too big too handle. With the bigger battery compared to the S8 bound to get a bit more life from it too. Love the look of it just wish I did not have to wait 10 more days to get it.

maxbennettjr

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
S8+, with the thin bezel, it just looks great, did a measurement and it's not really any larger than my current ZTE Axon 7 in physical size, so I'm going for the gusto with the S8+.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, S8 is not big enough. IMHO even the S8+'s size is marginal, to the point that I may cancel my pre-order and wait for the Note 8. I want a 6" screen with a 16:9 ratio.

I went for the S8+. I have an S7 Edge now and with the plus the battery is close in size and the phone is not much bigger but you get a bigger screen so I think is is worth it.

AlphaWlf6

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Honestly. I was kinda torn between the 2. As a samsung employee ive had plenty of time with both devices. In terms. I've got about average size hands and S8 honestly feels right. Holding that with my s7 edge in hand the s8 is obviously taller but a little bit more narrow and feels fantastic! And i couldnt really do the large phablets. But the S8+ does have the same width of the S7 edge which is what ive been used to just taller and more display and more battery of the too. So I'll continue waiting for my S8 + to finally come in from T-Mobile

Missalyssa928

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the S8+. I have used larger phones for a few years now and the size doesn't bother me! A little more screen is always a good thing!!! :)

cdodgela

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
+1 for the S8+.
The width is practically the same as a smaller phone for fitting in a pocket. Height of the screen, so more is shown vertically and it can be split for two apps showing at the same time, is awesome! Apps will either get modified or will have bars on the top and bottom of the phone. I don't care. The previous reasons are enough for me, and the higher battery capacity!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Comparing a phone to a tablet is not the same comparison since a phone is tiny compared to an iPad, so content is on a phone with black bars is even tinier. iPad is a bigger display and they vested millions in consumer feedback for most appealing display ratio for content . Samsung also went the same ratio with their tablets. The wider ratio is not content friendly for optimization. Even if the S8 and G6 break records in sales, they are still a tiny fraction of the overall install base. Content will not migrate to this format and Apple shows no apparent sign of shifting to it for the very reason their tablets are not wide ratio. Reading and web is more awkward with the wider ratio and most video content is not optimized.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, S8 is not big enough. IMHO even the S8+'s size is marginal, to the point that I may cancel my pre-order and wait for the Note 8. I want a 6" screen with a 16:9 ratio.

I wanted to like the 8+, since everything else IMO rocks. The display ratio and corner curves did not grow on me after four BB visits. Sticking with the Note 4 and seeing how the Note 8 pans out. Should also be a great device since Samsung wants to "get it right" after last year's debacle. None the less, if a person does not mind the wider S8 ratio, they should be very happy.

AlphaWlf6

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
You guys also have to understand that google themselves have already released different variations of software tools to help create content for the devices cause the ratio makes sense.

And apple always takes forever to finally get on the band wagon. Look at water resistance, vr, and wireless charging.

And the leaks of their new device "SUPPOSEDLY" hint at a similar ratio to what's been done by Samsung and LG. So time to sit back and watch the world change. Except Apple

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
WRT to aspect ratio, I suspect that Google and Samsung (and others) are making a big VR bet, which is also why Sammy is giving away VR and pushing the 260 cam (which looks great, btw). But if they are, the ~2:1 ration makes more sense I think. I've not played with it but I don't think the 16:9 ratio makes a lot of sense to the mind in VR.

And unless Apple does something weird, the 2:1 ratio is here to stay. 16:9 is just holdover from the last aspect ratio war in which it (16:9) won because it was the average. 2:1 is the new average and also makes more sense for other purposes.

But the curved corners are bananas, man.

Still, I went with the S8+ because it is beautiful. Since I only watch movies on my phone on planes and since I don't travel for business very often anymore, having the overall larger screen was better for web and book content.

afazel

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I think the S8 is big enough, and this is me going from a Note 5, to an HTC 10, to a ZTE Zmax Pro(lol), and then to an S8. I'd like the extra battery in the S8+, but not enough to spend the extra $100 on it. The Note 5 had the same size battery with a similar total screen area, and the S8 should be more efficient all around. I'm not worried about it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
WRT to aspect ratio, I suspect that Google and Samsung (and others) are making a big VR bet, which is also why Sammy is giving away VR and pushing the 260 cam (which looks great, btw). But if they are, the ~2:1 ration makes more sense I think. I've not played with it but I don't think the 16:9 ratio makes a lot of sense to the mind in VR.

And unless Apple does something weird, the 2:1 ratio is here to stay. 16:9 is just holdover from the last aspect ratio war in which it (16:9) won because it was the average. 2:1 is the new average and also makes more sense for other purposes.

But the curved corners are bananas, man.

Still, I went with the S8+ because it is beautiful. Since I only watch movies on my phone on planes and since I don't travel for business very often anymore, having the overall larger screen was better for web and book content.
Sadly the display will have less resolution to work with, since the lenses are at the physical mercy of average inner pupil distance and center of orientation. Already displays are not fully utilized at the current 16:9 aspect. The two options to improve are go to RGB, or increase pentile resolution. AMOLED is the right base tech, so half way there. Going wider does not help much and actually hurts.

These devices are a small fraction of the install base and would take several years to expect content overall to target the wider ratio- if industry adopted as standard. Even then, web and reading in general is still more awkward and legacy content would still be the bulk of what is available. Point being, get used to black bars or cropping with a wider display. Apple probably not going wider.