S8+ Too Big / Long?

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I've been using my S8+ quite a bit since it arrived on Wednesday. I am coming from an S7 Edge and had the Note 7 before that. In general I prefer bigger phones, but I was happy that Samsung chose to keep the width of the phone as small as possible while growing the length in order to accommodate a larger screen.

HOWEVER, I am experience some major hand fatigue while holding this phone. After using it for several hours, when I pick up my S7 Edge, again, it feels much more comfortable and "lighter" in the hand.

I've realized something. Even though the S8+ only weighs slightly more than the s7 Edge, the length of the phone really impacts the "feel" of the phone in terms of how heavy it feels. That is because I am gripping the phone along the lower half of the body, and I generally hold the phone at a 45 degree to 60 degree angle as I am using it. The portion of the phone that is positioned above my hand is more "impacted" by the pull of gravity than a shorter phone. I would compare it to a lever and fulcrum, and I'm feeling the impact of a longer "load arm" of the lever... If that makes any sense.
Wow, I find myself and other people feel the opposite. The S7 edge would dig into your palm and felt extremely uncomfortable. I can hold this s8+ for a whole day and not get cramped up.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I've been using my S8+ quite a bit since it arrived on Wednesday. I am coming from an S7 Edge and had the Note 7 before that. In general I prefer bigger phones, but I was happy that Samsung chose to keep the width of the phone as small as possible while growing the length in order to accommodate a larger screen.

HOWEVER, I am experience some major hand fatigue while holding this phone. After using it for several hours, when I pick up my S7 Edge, again, it feels much more comfortable and "lighter" in the hand.

I've realized something. Even though the S8+ only weighs slightly more than the s7 Edge, the length of the phone really impacts the "feel" of the phone in terms of how heavy it feels. That is because I am gripping the phone along the lower half of the body, and I generally hold the phone at a 45 degree to 60 degree angle as I am using it. The portion of the phone that is positioned above my hand is more "impacted" by the pull of gravity than a shorter phone. I would compare it to a lever and fulcrum, and I'm feeling the impact of a longer "load arm" of the lever... If that makes any sense.

While reading your post ( which wasn't short by the way ) I couldn't help but think of how I myself am holding my S8+.

I have small hands and am also holding the lower part of the phone at the same angle you're describing.

I also have my pointy finger slightly at an angle lined up at 10 o'clock supporting the weight of the phone.

No hand fatigue whatsoever here. I'll leave it at that ahem ahem

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen too many people complaining about the size of the Plus.

I got mine on Wednesday and LOVE the phone, but I'm still unsure about the size. I think the S8 might feel better. I've got to Best Buy and played around with both, but after a couple days with the S8+ it just still feels long and awkward (and big in my front jean pocket). I'm considering exchanging it for the S8. Anyone else?

I agree with you. The S8 feels much better in hand, but I ultimately got the S8+ for the added battery life, which is more important to me than size.

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I find myself and other people feel the opposite. The S7 edge would dig into your palm and felt extremely uncomfortable. I can hold this s8+ for a whole day and not get cramped up.

I totally agree with you about how the S7 edge digs into your hands, and so I have a case on my S7 edge (and S8+). With no case installed, the S7 edge had to be the MOST uncomfortable phone I ever experienced. However, with a case on both phones, the S7 edge feels more comfortable due to the hand fatigue.

fester01

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The S8+ compared to my Note 4, which is what I've still been using, it's much more comfortable to hold. Specs wise it's .25" narrower and .25" taller and fits like a glove in my hand!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
@myusername, I think your concerns are definitely valid. The S8+ is a very large phone, no doubt. The only thing that's consistent with the complaints is that the fingerprint sensor is hard to get to (especially for smaller people)

I haven't heard of anything regarding the physical size and it not fitting into pockets ect. The S8+ is not for everyone and that's OK. Maybe the standard S8 would suit you better. Just go with what your guts tells you. :)

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the S8 first and it felt so small. I ordered the S8+ and now the S8 looks and feels even tinier.... I haven't touched the S8 since the S8+ arrived on Saturday. I had the S8 since Wednesday.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
The plus was just too big in my pocket, great to use/look at but the regular s8 is a perfect compromise of a big screen yet pocketable. Also the regular s8 is natural and easy to hit the fps compared to the plus, that was the deal breaker for me

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The S8+ fits in my pocket better than the s7edge did, especially the side pocket of my carpenter jeans. It even fits in most of my shirt pockets (although I wouldn't recommend bending over).

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

After using the 8+ for a couple days I'd tend to agree that it's top heavy and one handed usage gets a little heavy. I might get the regular S8 but I'm still deciding.

In general with these larger phones weight distribution becomes important. I had the iPhone 6S plus and never found it comfortable but the iPhone 7 Plus felt way better in hand and it was the same size. I'm going to keep trying with the S8+ and see if I can get used to it since it's a sweet phone.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The s8+ is a great size. I just wish it was easier to activate one handed mode. Triple tap on the home button is too much and swipe out from bottom corner is good WHEN IT WORKS. I've been trying to master it for over a week now. I wish it was as easy as the iPhone or Lumia

nicnoc

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Tried the S8 and have now moved to S8+. Additional screen size and battery were my reasons. Having recently come from the iPhone 7 plus the size is not an issue and the regular s8 just seems too thin to me now.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I wish I would have went with the 8+ because of battery life... but that's nothing a mophie case or fast charging doesn't fix. Otherwise I am super impressed with this device and don't see myself putting it down anytime soon.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Agree with the ops initial concerns. Though if you trade the plus for the reg S8 you'll always think about the screen loss, smaller font, smaller battery etc. My point is, there are always trade offs & nothing is perfect. With that said, my S8+ has zero issues, battery life is freakin amazing & not going through setting up another phone. So sticking with what I have. :)

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I'm clearly and misguided just need to give it a couple more days.

I wouldn't say misguided. There many instances where people would buy something only to find out later that they didn't really want it or need it. Just don't forget your return window if you decide to exchange it.