This phone is so much more prone to micro scratches

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I will say I've had every Galaxy from the S4 to now the S8+. This is by far the most scratch prone phone I've had.

I never use a screen protector. I usually end up trading in my phone and have maybe 2 to 4 small (shorter than 1 inch) micro scratches with a year of use which is perfectly acceptable to me.

I've had the S8+ since launch (about 4 1/2 months) and i have 8 scratches about 1/2 an inch and 3 that are at least 2 inches long, one even has a nice scribble pattern dead center in my screen. So 11 scratches in total and it hasn't even been half a year yet.

Is anyone else having this issue with the S8+? I'm guessing this isn't something i can use my warranty on?

This is pretty frustrating since i'm always so careful with my phone. It's definitely scratches from crap in my pocket, but i never see anything, i clean my pockets out regularly but these scratches keep coming. Plus this is supposed to be the best gorilla glass yet and it's the worse I've seen on the galaxy line.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Gorilla Glass 5 was made to be more shatter resistant than the earlier types, and that means softer glass. Softer glass equals easier scratching. It was the same with the Note 7.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 3 = hardest to scratch, easiest to shatter
Gorilla Glass 5 = hardest to shatter, easiest to scratch.

You'd want a tempered glass protector on it.

Last edited:

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 3 = hardest to scratch, easiest to shatter
Gorilla Glass 3 = hardest to shatter, easiest to scratch.

You'd want a tempered glass protector on it.

You listed gorilla glass 3 twice...

I personally don't use a screen protector (I find them to be a total waste of money and completely unnecessary, especially for this phone) and I don't even use a case - just a Slickwraps natural wood skin on the back - and I've had the phone since launch. No scratches (not even micro scratches) or cracks or anything. It goes in and out of my pocket constantly, it's been to the beach, it's been on multiple types of surfaces. Nothing. This is not an exaggeration... I've been impressed.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You listed gorilla glass 3 twice...

I personally don't use a screen protector (I find them to be a total waste of money and completely unnecessary, especially for this phone) and I don't even use a case - just a Slickwraps natural wood skin on the back - and I've had the phone since launch. No scratches (not even micro scratches) or cracks or anything. It goes in and out of my pocket constantly, it's been to the beach, it's been on multiple types of surfaces. Nothing. This is not an exaggeration... I've been impressed.
Sorry edited. Hahaha.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I've not had this experience with fine scratches. Due to the oleophobic coating, I often get lines that look like scratches, but are buffed back out with a soft microfiber cloth.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Would love to have use my phone without the case and screen protector since it's so good looking.
I'm just inherently paranoid about damaging it. It has nothing to do with this particular phone. Just my issue with any phone I've owned.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I am in SHOCK at how easily this thing scratches. I've never dropped a phone and cracked the screen (knock on wood)...so I would GLADLY take the scratch resistance over shatter resistance.

I can't find a good glass screen protector (not gonna do this edge-only adhesive crap anymore) and i can't stand the wet-application ones that end up feeling like rubber when the weather is warmer than room temperature.

I'm not rough on my phone at all...most daring thing I do is keep it in my pocket. Somehow the screen is all scratched up already.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I am in SHOCK at how easily this thing scratches. I've never dropped a phone and cracked the screen (knock on wood)...so I would GLADLY take the scratch resistance over shatter resistance.

I can't find a good glass screen protector (not gonna do this edge-only adhesive crap anymore) and i can't stand the wet-application ones that end up feeling like rubber when the weather is warmer than room temperature.

I'm not rough on my phone at all...most daring thing I do is keep it in my pocket. Somehow the screen is all scratched up already.

You don't have to be rough on a phone to have it come in contact with small particles like sand, glass etc. Those small particles can be at the bottom of your pockets or bags or even on your hands/fingertips.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site

Might consider cleaning out your pockets then. Mine is in and out of my pocket constantly and I don't have a scratch on it.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
My point was that I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary than i have with any of my previous Samsungs...yet this one is scratched and my past ones were not.

Although...I recall my Note7 did sustain a few scratches before it was returned. I think it was either same generation or previous of the Gorilla glass. Either way...seems as though this is the direction they're going...more shatter resistant than scratch resistant.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
My point was that I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary than i have with any of my previous Samsungs...yet this one is scratched and my past ones were not.

Although...I recall my Note7 did sustain a few scratches before it was returned. I think it was either same generation or previous of the Gorilla glass. Either way...seems as though this is the direction they're going...more shatter resistant than scratch resistant.

I think everyone understood your point. My point is that I've had this phone since launch, put it in and out of my pocket constantly, toss it on my table or couch or bed or in the center cubby in my car with other crap in it without a second thought. I've even sat on it a few times accidentally and dropped it a few times. Not a single scratch ding or dent to speak of. So, you need to figure out what your phone is coming in contact with, either in your pocket or wherever, because it's not "more prone to scratches" in comparison to any other Samsung I've had in the past. And I've had them all. On the contrary; it actually seems to be more resistant to scratches and the like, compared to most other phones I've owned... and I've owned quite a bit. So you may believe you're not doing anything different with this phone compared to your previous phones, but I think maybe there's a chance you are, or it's come in contact with something that scratched it up without you realizing it. Things happen. That doesn't automatically mean the gorilla glass on this phone is inferior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress