Buying a Gear S from someone today, Cautions??

icellphones32

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I seen an ad for one, I'm probably going to get today. I have tMobile, are there any cautions I should take? When I buy a phone from someone I make sure it isn't blacklisted or stolen, do I need to do the same with this watch? Do I need to get the imei or serial numbers first?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The only watch that will work for T-Mobile will be AT&T version or T-Mobile version. If it is AT&T version, make sure it is unlocked or you will have trouble unlocked it to use with T-Mobile as you will find no help from AT&T.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
If you look on eBay, half the T-Mobile Gear S' listed have warnings about "bad IMEI" or "still under installment contract." Both guarantee said watches will never work on T-Mobile's network because they're blacklisted. If blacklisted IMEI's are shared amongst carriers then it won't work on AT&T either.

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
But even if the IMEI is number is good when you buy it, can it still be blacklisted if the original owner stops paying payments on it if it was financed or if they walk out the door and report it lost to the insurance company?

Posted via the Android Central App

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile actually has a "IMEI Checker" on their website...

Check if Your Phone is Eligible for the T-Mobile 4G Network | IMEI Status Check

The accompanying text says...

If a device is reported stolen, the device will be unusable on most carrier networks (including T-Mobile,) even if the SIM card is changed. Verify your IMEI number to ensure your device will work.

So if a carrier blacklists a IMEI it is universal meaning a blacklisted T-Mobile Gear won't work on AT&T either. Caveat emptor.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
But even if the IMEI is number is good when you buy it, can it still be blacklisted if the original owner stops paying payments on it if it was financed or if they walk out the door and report it lost to the insurance company?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes...that's why I would meet them at the store and ask if IMEI is clean and if it is paid off. The owner is present so they should have no problems providing the info.

The first clue you should have on whether or not the seller is on the up and up is when you tell them to meet you at a tmobile store so you can have everything checked. If they don't want to meet you there then I would stop all communication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress