New Forum Design: Official Feedback Thread

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, thanks for the feedback Almeuit... it's an answer, even though it may not be what we want to hear. Why would... never mind! Why does anyone change what works without asking the consumer what they think first? It happens on a daily basis - I guess we should be used to it!

Meanwhile, I'm off to Photoshop to re-design my Avatar to ROUND so it will WORK with the NEW ANDROIDCENTRAL! Geez, maybe I can just take the square truck avatar and apply a fisheye lens filter... DUH! Yeah, that's the ticket!
There was a public beta for the last few months

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding the 2012 template is gone. The selector at the bottom will be removed as they make updates since they want to go forward with this template.
Is this official... or hearsay? Why can't a dev give an official statement here to all concerned? Don't they belong to the forum?

From my point of view, almost everyone here wants the AC 2012 template. They give feedback about this, and it get's ignored. What's the point of stating feedback in this thread then? Only to be ignored, never replied to, and made to keep guessing day after day?

I love this forum, but this new design is beyond what I can tolerate for what I do here. There are too many things that got removed, or changed that make the forum hard to use, hard to see, hard to navigate. There's no number of pages, and also no post numbers within the thread. How is anyone going to refer anyone to a specific post, or paste a direct link to a post for a user to read? I can also barely make out that you quoted me in my last reply. If they need to use these light colors, at least put a light contrasting frame around the quote box.

In any case, if the AC 2012 template is gone for good, as much as I love visiting and helping people here, I have to say I'll be gone too. You won't miss me as I'm just one of thousands that use this site daily.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is this official... or hearsay? Why can't a dev give an official statement here to all concerned? Don't they belong to the forum?

Official. I talked about it with them the other night.

They do look at the forums.. At the moment I know they are doing a lot in the back end so may not be peeking as much but I do know they're looking.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I love this forum, but this new design is beyond what I can tolerate for what I do here. There are too many things that got removed, or changed that make the forum hard to use, hard to see, hard to navigate. There's no number of pages, and also no post numbers within the thread. How is anyone going to refer anyone to a specific post, or paste a direct link to a post for a user to read? I can also barely make out that you quoted me in my last reply. If they need to use these light colors, at least put a light contrasting frame around the quote box.

As for the hard to see -- have you tried the dark theme? Makes it a lot better to see.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
And a new issue, on my last reply it asked if I really wanted to leave the current page, and lose the post that I had typed. I went ahead a pressed yes, since I was sure I'd pressed "post reply." Though it does seem to have double posted what I wrote. Apparently the site thinks posting a reply (or at least did, for some reason, in that instance) is the same as trying to navigate to another webpage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Which might help, if people knew how to get to the dark theme. Of course, it still doesn't solve many of the other issues mentioned here (wasted space, info missing that was in previous theme, etc).

You can enable the dark theme by opening the "Your Menu" at the top left. After that click the button I highlighted below.

The other stuff (missing info) will be added as time goes on. It is definitely a thing on the "To-Do" list since we even complained about the missing sub forums which have re-surfaced. As for the wasted space that is also another thing I am ensuring (it is a complaint myself) is fixed. They're working to make the forums use the appropriate space (and not be super huge font) for desktop.

Attachments

• dark_theme.png
    dark_theme.png
    43 KB · Views: 11

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
You can enable the dark theme by opening the "Your Menu" at the top left. After that click the button I highlighted below.

The other stuff (missing info) will be added as time goes on. It is definitely a thing on the "To-Do" list since we even complained about the missing sub forums which have re-surfaced. As for the wasted space that is also another thing I am ensuring (it is a complaint myself) is fixed. They're working to make the forums use the appropriate space (and not be super huge font) for desktop.

Which goes back to one of my complaints about the new style. That icon seems to be in an odd place where most people aren't going to find it, unless someone explicitly tells them about it. And the icons, with no text, can be cryptic unless you know the forum style well enough to understand what the various icons do -- especially with no tooltips that pop up if you hover over the icons.

It still seems to me that the new style is created for looks over usability.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Which goes back to one of my complaints about the new style. That icon seems to be in an odd place where most people aren't going to find it, unless someone explicitly tells them about it. And the icons, with no text, can be cryptic unless you know the forum style well enough to understand what the various icons do -- especially with no tooltips that pop up if you hover over the icons.

It still seems to me that the new style is created for looks over usability.

And that is why we have this feedback thread. The forums won't be 100% perfect upon release just like the previous style wasn't 100% complete upon release. It was built on and fixed via users feedback :).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To the "what's the purpose of this feedback thread if they won't ..." The purpose is to get feedback on how to improve the new template, not to get feedback on how to not use the template.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
To multi-quote - highlight the text in the first post you want to quote and click the little quote button that pops up. Then highlight the next text you want to quote and click the button there. Once you've done it it's not too hard, though it's not intuitive the first time.

That's the only way to do it now, are you kidding me?? This has become so cumbersome. Quote, scroll back up (after losing where you were,) quote, scroll back up. And I haven't even tried multi-quoting across pages...

Real jumping-the-shark moment as far as I'm concerned.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
And that is why we have this feedback thread. The forums won't be 100% perfect upon release just like the previous style wasn't 100% complete upon release. It was built on and fixed via users feedback :).

Except, what you are describing is that it is actually more like 50% done, with several features not yet implemented. I want to say they are doing live beta testing -- but what is being described here isn't even really a beta test since so much is still missing.

With the issues, it seems they should go back to the old style and ask people to help them with the "beta" testing on the new style. Only after they have all the features added to the new style should they remove the old styles and force everyone to use it -- even though we likely are still looking at a real beta test then.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Except, what you are describing is that it is actually more like 50% done, with several features not yet implemented. I want to say they are doing live beta testing -- but what is being described here isn't even really a beta test since so much is still missing.

With the issues, it seems they should go back to the old style and ask people to help them with the "beta" testing on the new style. Only after they have all the features added to the new style should they remove the old styles and force everyone to use it -- even though we likely are still looking at a real beta test then.
All I can say is leave feedback as they're watching as they work.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I miss the old feedback thread! :(

j/k

PS Would be cool to get my custom title back at some point, BUT I know that's coming. :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's ugly, and it's broken. Half the time when I try to submit a reply the dialog box won't accept any input.

Aside from that, why do you provide a drop down to change the style that doesn't actually do anything? No matter what I select, it always displays the hideous new MoNa style.

God I hate this. It's almost enough to drive me to Phandroid.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's ugly, and it's broken. Half the time when I try to submit a reply the dialog box won't accept any input.

Aside from that, why do you provide a drop down to change the style that doesn't actually do anything? No matter what I select, it always displays the hideous new MoNa style.

God I hate this. It's almost enough to drive me to Phandroid.
Any constructive suggestions for improvement?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, listening the multiple pages of complaints that have already been posted would be a start. Fixing the style picker so we could actually choose a different style would help. That's been broken for at least a week. Fixing the reply function wo that when I want to do a quick reply I could actually enter text would certainly be a big help. (most of the time, when I click in the dialog box, it doesn't register the click and won't let me enter text. Clicking advanced sometimes works, but not always.)

The low contrast design is hard on the eyes. When there are multiple pages in a thread, and you look at the page list at the bottom of the page, it's really hard to tell what page you're on. And why is the current page clickable?

On the old forum I would see, at the top of the page, how many likes and quotes I had, and be able to navigate to those posts quickly. I don't see any way to do that, now.

There's a ton of wasted space on each page. I want content, not big, eye-killing, bright empty space.

Oh, and why did I get an email when you quoted my post? I didn't used to get that, I never changed my configuration to ask for emails. How do I turn that off? I don't need more junk in my inbox.

How's that for a start.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, listening the multiple pages of complaints that have already been posted would be a start. Fixing the style picker so we could actually choose a different style would help. That's been broken for at least a week. Fixing the reply function wo that when I want to do a quick reply I could actually enter text would certainly be a big help. (most of the time, when I click in the dialog box, it doesn't register the click and won't let me enter text. Clicking advanced sometimes works, but not always.)

The low contrast design is hard on the eyes. When there are multiple pages in a thread, and you look at the page list at the bottom of the page, it's really hard to tell what page you're on. And why is the current page clickable?

On the old forum I would see, at the top of the page, how many likes and quotes I had, and be able to navigate to those posts quickly. I don't see any way to do that, now.

There's a ton of wasted space on each page. I want content, not big, eye-killing, bright empty space.

Oh, and why did I get an email when you quoted my post? I didn't used to get that, I never changed my configuration to ask for emails. How do I turn that off? I don't need more junk in my inbox.

How's that for a start.

Style picker shouldn't be there and hopefully will be removed soon.

I haven't experienced the reply issue, but hopefully they fix that.

Likes and quotes are in the envelope icon with the number by it.

Click the x on the top right to use space better.

Not sure on the email, that shouldn't have changed. Forwarding that to the techs. I think it's a check box in settings.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wrong answer. Don't get rid of it, make it work. Doesn't appear MoNa is really listening.

Don't see an x in the top right? Can you be more descriptive, please?
Sorry I'm referencing an earlier post above from the moderator team leader that indicated the devs had said that the style picker was there by mistake and would be going away rather than being made functional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress