When do YOU think the Nexus Prime will release on Sprint?

When will it be here?

• Total voters

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Big Red is supposedly getting the Droid Prime, the Nexus Prime will (theoretically) be coming to the other 3 carriers.

Its all still unclear as samsung is supposedly making both the Droid Prime AND the Nexus Prime (why would they make two models like that?) but it wouldn't be the first time a model was "renamed" to suit a purpose (Epic 4G Touch). The Droid Prime just got its cert for its WiFi and the Nexus Prime just got its Bluetooth Cert. Its also possible the Droid Prime is just a souped up Galaxy SII for Big Red as opposed to a renamed Nexus Prime. Simply put, there's just not enough data to know for sure yet.

That said, with what the rumormill is holding onto for specs on the Nexus Prime, it sounds like a hands down badass phone that I'm guessing (guessing) would be released a little before the holidays to curb the iPhone5 launch time. The certs are coming in and it hasn't hit FCC approval yet, but phones have been released VERY shortly after FCC approval, so who knows really.

Most of what I got came from gottabemobile.com from an independent technology blogger, but I did enough google-fu to find everything that led him to the conclusion and I would generally agree with his article.

So there will be a "Droid-Prime" for Verizon only, and a "Nexus-Prime" for the current nexus carriers T-Mobile and Sprint ? And this "Prime" series of phones is made by Samsung, but then why is Samsung even releasing the U.S. version of the Galaxy S2 later this month, if this Prime device is coming shortly afterwards ?

But...Samsung did just that with the Nexus-S I suppose ? The Galaxy S1 came out to U.S. carriers in Aug/Sept 2010, and then in December Samsung/Google released the Nexus-S, which hardware wise is basically a beefed up Galaxy S1. So maybe the Prime is a beefed up Galaxy S2 running "Ice Cream"

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
sprint WILL get it, its just a wonder of when.
i predict November.

vzw wont get it, they wont allow anything open on their carrier.

Watcher07

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So there will be a "Droid-Prime" for Verizon only, and a "Nexus-Prime" for the current nexus carriers T-Mobile and Sprint ? And this "Prime" series of phones is made by Samsung, but then why is Samsung even releasing the U.S. version of the Galaxy S2 later this month, if this Prime device is coming shortly afterwards ?

But...Samsung did just that with the Nexus-S I suppose ? The Galaxy S1 came out to U.S. carriers in Aug/Sept 2010, and then in December Samsung/Google released the Nexus-S, which hardware wise is basically a beefed up Galaxy S1. So maybe the Prime is a beefed up Galaxy S2 running "Ice Cream"

Well, rumor is two phones, but there are enough similarities that they could in fact be the same phone, just getting approved for multiple names, not sure yet. The rumor that the Droid Prime, if it is indeed headed for Verizon, being a beefed up S2 is in the mill.

And this "Prime" series of phones is made by Samsung, but then why is Samsung even releasing the U.S. version of the Galaxy S2 later this month, if this Prime device is coming shortly afterwards ?

With sammy making the Nexus for Google, they don't actually take away that much from their direct line of phones because Touchwiz isn't on the Nexus which is essentially how sammy sets apart its handsets, just like HTC uses Sense. The Nexus phones were originally intended for android purists and developers, but have since gained some general user appeal. They also tend to set the standard for the next generation of mobile phone hardware. So for your average consumer, the Nexus won't ring any bells with Samsung like, say, the Epic does. Also, Samsung still makes money off of google for the handset so at the end of the day it really doesn't matter too much to them when they release it compared to their branded line of phones as its all money to them anyway.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the NS4G now, I told myself if the Prime doesn't come to Sprint before 2012 I'll get a Epic Tough 4G to hold me over until the Prime comes out.

tdoom15

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Who cares if it comes to sprint if it isn't going to be 1280 x 720, this now is enough for me to for sure say that the gs2 will be my first android phone IF I decide to give up webOS in a couple weeks.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The People here who have Sprint and want this phone cares... I to am getting the E4GT but am looking forward to this phone... and just in case you didnt know the GSII isn't getting 1280x720 either...

tdoom15

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
No kidding, but to me, the HD screen was the big selling point of the prime. I'm not going to wait for something that doesnt have a release date and could potentially be 3-4 months (or more) out when there is something just as good going to be available in less than 2 weeks.

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Nexus S was announced/shipped in Dec 2010. Sprint didn't get it till May 2011. I'm going to guess that the Prime is going to follow the same timeline.

MrDowntown12

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Sprint will get the Nexus Prime before any of the other carriers.

When will that be? Hopefully Dec. 2011, but may not be till early 2012. But I don't know where people are getting this idea it will be Verizon. Sprint has been aligning itself with Google lately. It's inevitable.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

When will that be? Hopefully Dec. 2011, but may not be till early 2012. But I don't know where people are getting this idea it will be Verizon. Sprint has been aligning itself with Google lately. It's inevitable.

A couple reasons. It was rumored to be at Verizon headquarters. And it's speculated that it is the reason why Verizon passed on the GS2. Obviously, this is all speculation and rumors, but there's actually more for it coming to Verizon than other carriers.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-prime/114638-droid-prime-october-verizon.html
we got it from here
and from here posted by Phil
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-prime/101538-nexus-______-october.html
look around the Nexus Prime threads its posted all over lol

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
We have seen the roadmaps for AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Only Verizon is shoing the Droid Nexus and that is for October. That means an exclusive for Verizon for some length of time just like T-Mobile got the Nexus S exclusive for 5 months. So at best February, 2012.

Sprint wants a flagship phone every five weks:
May: Nexus S
Jun: EVO 3D
Jul: Photon
Aug: less than 5 weeks
Sep: Galaxy S II Epic Touch
Oct: iPhone 5
Nov: Epic 2 (slider)
Dec: HTC 4.5"

The second factor is that Google wants at least 10 months between model, so again that points to February at the earliest.

Still, that is a lot of Sprint flagship phones in a short amount of time. In fact, Sprint has 4 of the top 10 phones. And truely unlimited data for one person is $69+$10 a month. And everyone on Sprint qualifies for at least a 10% EVP disount.

They need to get 5 weeks between releases so that people do not keep returning them within 30 days.

Last edited:

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Based on the report from thisismynext of Oct/Nov announcement...I can see a Dec release and then May for Sprint...

Lines up with what I guessed before.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Google will even bother with T-MO this go round seeing as its Parent company is actively trying to get rid of it......

Plus T-MO never got behind the Nexus the way Sprint did with the Nexus S, T-MO didnt even bother putting 5$ worth of Marketing behind the phone....I still say Sprint will be the launch partner...

and I still say Verizon will not allow an fully open un-Verizonized Android on its Network, since Android unlike IOS is totally within the carriers control, and its not a Nexus if Verizon modifies it with any customization what so ever...(Regardless of ICS or not).....Hence why I think "Droid" Prime is probably true, the "Droid" label today means "Completely Verizonized"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez