Terrible Reception

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So I've been a Nexus user since the original Nexus. I used it with T-Mo & loved it. When the Nexus S dropped I got it on release date (T-Mo again, but as of recently T-Mo has really been slowing and dropping calls in South Florida. My wife & I signed up for Sprint & of course I got the GNex. Now here's my problem & if anyone knows of this or a way to fox it pls divulge the info to me.

My signal is sh*t! I barely get any bars (even after the update) and even when I have full bars (3G only) & I speed test I'm lucky if I'm pulling down 1.8megs. What's the deal with Sprints network in South Florida?? Its seriously slower than Metro prepaid. Its an embarrassment to have a beast of a phone and I can't even pull up web pages within 2 MINUTES of hitting load. Is there a different setting I should try or do I have to wait until they upgrade towers.

My wife has the Galaxy S II 4G and her phone is SUPER fast. What gives??? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I know exactly what you're saying.

I came from the E4GT and was used to how fast it was. Mine was always on 4G (WiMax) though so I think that might be it. Does your wife have 4G turned on? I never knew how slow 3G was on Sprint until I got this phone. I think the only solution is to wait until the towers are upgraded.

Destoration

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what sort of pages you're trying to load but I've done ebay, youtube, yahoo and other largish sites and they load fairly well for 3g. Sure speeds are crap but what do you expect :S I'm in the melbourne/palm bay area.

edit: Almost forgot....my signal is pretty crap on the gnex when inside. Fixed it at my house with a airwave but in large stores or other buildings 1 bar is the norm at best. Internet still works though.

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The point isn't for internet to just work. They do make you pay for 4G/LTE & its not even available. I'm lucky if I can even load Google half the time. I seriously wish I would have just paid the deposit and went to Verizon or stayed with he GSN version on TMo....cuz this is slower than ing dial up.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You must live under a rock, this phone has had poor reception since launch, and Sprints 3G, well, back to my rock comment...

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I didn't live under a rock, I was going to buy the phone GSM but decided to switch carriers because I was tired of T-Mos BS. Yes, I didn't read up on it to find out that something that says 4G/LTE doesn't actually work, I just assumed that it did being that Nexus has never let me down.

There's no need for condescending tones, I'm sure you've made mistakes in the past and I'm damn sure you make them in the future. I left my crystal ball at home when I made the decision to get the Sprint version but I'll make sure I message you from now on with anything concerning phones.

Last edited: