Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I dont get what the big fuss is!! Google Now and all it's features are ON.

Sent from my JellyBeaned GS3 using Android Central Forums

And after 1 Day 6 hrs and 36 min it finally died. 30 hrs 36 min on the battery, no complaints here...

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
So, I tried to kill my phone today... 15 hrs 27 mins, 17% battery left. I also have 3 hrs and 27 mins of screen time on. Oh, and I didn't use auto screen.

I feel like this is actually decent. 3.5 hrs of screen time is good right?

monkeydog

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Try removing your media files from your phone. for a couple of days. If you are like most of us, most of your media files are on you external sd card. So just remove your external sd card for a couple of days and see if media goes down.

I removed my card then rebooted and charged my phone. The media task has disappeared from the list. It had been holding steady at 43% usage.

Thank you for this tip, I never would have thought corrupt files would affect the battery that dramatically.

Next question: how do you find out which files on the SD card are corrupt? Or is it just a format issue?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I removed my card then rebooted and charged my phone. The media task has disappeared from the list. It had been holding steady at 43% usage.

Thank you for this tip, I never would have thought corrupt files would affect the battery that dramatically.

Next question: how do you find out which files on the SD card are corrupt? Or is it just a format issue?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I just backup all my files to the computer and then just delete all the files on the sd card. You can format it if you want but do not format using the phone and always format using the fat32 file system. You can try adding back files one folder at at time but I find it easier to just start from scratch.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I formatted using the phone. it worked like a charm for me. With my normal use, I am almost back to pre ICS levels.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I formatted using the phone. it worked like a charm for me. With my normal use, I am almost back to pre ICS levels.

The problem with formatting with the phone is the phone formats to the exfat file system. It should be well known by now that recovery can't read cards formatted with exfat. So if you ever need to access any files on your card from recovery you won't be able to.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The problem with formatting with the phone is the phone formats to the exfat file system. It should be well known by now that recovery can't read cards formatted with exfat. So if you ever need to access any files on your card from recovery you won't be able to.

Hey Skunk, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a file size limit with fat32 format? Wouldn't exFat be a better solution with our MTD partitioned cells? I understand that recovery wouldn't be able to read any files that are not in a fat32 formatted system but if you want better performance, wouldn't it be better to be on a exFat system?

Wooga

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I reformatted and got rid of the media task....but now my top killer is "Media Server" What is this and why is it killing my battery? 7hrs 14m 63% Discharge

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Skunk, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a file size limit with fat32 format? Wouldn't exFat be a better solution with our MTD partitioned cells? I understand that recovery wouldn't be able to read any files that are not in a fat32 formatted system but if you want better performance, wouldn't it be better to be on a exFat system?

The exfat file system is more efficient for storage as the cluster size is smaller. I really don't know how it compares to fat32 as far as performance. I don't think it will make a difference because the majority aren't running apps on it.

The main reason I keep pushing using fat32 is the majority of us will eventually need to access it from recovery. If you knew how many times I had to address this both in the forums (during the manual update) and even more in pm's you would understand.

I know everyone isn't rooting their phones but if you do, having you card in fat32 is almost a necessity because almost everything you do is in recovery.

Like I said, not everyone is rooting but how many people were installing the update manually? And how many times was the issue raised?

And yes there is a file size limit with fat32 but in all of my years on computer or phone I've never reached it.

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The exfat file system is more efficient for storage as the cluster size is smaller. I really don't know how it compares to fat32 as far as performance. I don't think it will make a difference because the majority aren't running apps on it.

The main reason I keep pushing using fat32 is the majority of us will eventually need to access it from recovery. If you knew how many times I had to address this both in the forums (during the manual update) and even more in pm's you would understand.

I know everyone isn't rooting their phones but if you do, having you card in fat32 is almost a necessity because almost everything you do is in recovery.

Like I said, not everyone is rooting but how many people were installing the update manually? And how many times was the issue raised?

And yes there is a file size limit with fat32 but in all of my years on computer or phone I've never reached it.

Thanks for the info!

I carry huge 720p/1080p video files so fat32 wouldn't be a great option for me. Thats why I'll stick with exFat, for now....until I root, lol!

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I dont get what the big fuss is!! Google Now and all it's features are ON.

Sent from my JellyBeaned GS3 using Android Central Forums

You obviously don't use your phone.
I didn't use mine much today. Dozen or so texts and a few short calls. Screen almost all the way turned down with auto turned OFF and all sync turned off.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352148390415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352148390415.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 50

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is my usage today. Some wifi.. Mostly 3g and browsing AC and news sites at work all day... With some streaming music from slacker thrown in. :)

Not bad if I say so myself. I unplugged (100%) around 620 AM this morning when leaving the house.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352168667101.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352168667101.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352168674642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352168674642.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 45
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352168681369.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352168681369.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 44

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
OK, found an app that fixes the battery life issue its called juice defender, it works great!

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
You obviously don't use your phone.
I didn't use mine much today. Dozen or so texts and a few short calls. Screen almost all the way turned down with auto turned OFF and all sync turned off.

Not true at all there guy. I had about 1 1/2 hrs of screen on time, a BUNCH of texts (100+), games, internet, etc.