Package file is invalid

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting that message when updating some of my apps. Has anyone else got that message? Is it my phone? Or the app?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It could be both and then one more thing.

1) Your phone, for some reason, lost its marbles and damaged the downloaded file beyond recognition. This, of course, would be the worst case scenario and it's quite unlikely. But I like to scare people beforehand :p hehe

2) The most likely reason is you had some intermittent connection during the download and the file got corrupted. Now, this has happened more often since the last two or three Play Store updates, so I'm guessing it's a bad handling on their side, but it happens.

3) It happens sometimes that developers upload bad files and sometimes they don't work at all or don't work for some models (and here's where I cry 'FRAGMENTATION' and wait for those that claim that's not really a problem anymore to fight back).

hydrogen3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm Having this same issue on my optimus G, hard resets, factore resets clear data cash etc nothing works. I'm stick with a phone I can't use...

nduchene#AC

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
It could be both and then one more thing.

1) Your phone, for some reason, lost its marbles and damaged the downloaded file beyond recognition. This, of course, would be the worst case scenario and it's quite unlikely. But I like to scare people beforehand :p hehe

2) The most likely reason is you had some intermittent connection during the download and the file got corrupted. Now, this has happened more often since the last two or three Play Store updates, so I'm guessing it's a bad handling on their side, but it happens.

3) It happens sometimes that developers upload bad files and sometimes they don't work at all or don't work for some models (and here's where I cry 'FRAGMENTATION' and wait for those that claim that's not really a problem anymore to fight back).

The issue seems widespread across a bunch of apps. My guess: #2 is exactly the problem. I've had the same problem across 2 different phones today, one was right out of the box. I'm having more luck over wifi than 4g today, which makes me think it's a connectivity issue and probably an insensitivity by Google to those without a super fast/reliable connection.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't like that all the time. I KNOW that I used to download files with intermittent connections before without issues. The issue is recent.

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a T-Mobile GS3 and had been having the package is invalid error the past few days. Don't know what caused it. It's hit and miss. Few apps installed/updated fine, others took this error. I've gotten a few updates pushed by Google: PlayStore 4.3.10, Android Device Manager. I've tried everything including wiping the phone, deleting/adding accounts, nothing worked..... And today, out of the blue, everything installed fine including those that took the error. Maybe disabling Android Device Manager did the trick, but I did that before... Google owes Android communities some explanation.. grrrr..

Posted via Android Central App

MooBohmke

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Been getting that error with my Samsung G3 and a Google Nexus tablet that last few days.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 4

diana skiles

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
After trying the suggestions to clear cache and data and uninstall updates from Google Play and Download Mananger - with no success - I turned off my WiFi and tried downloading the app with 4G connection. That worked fine.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I get this on 4G, 3G and wifi. I did every fix listed on the internet, none of which worked. This must be a google server issue.

Jbenz2014

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Ive had this problem too but more apps are getting the error i cant even use some of apps that were already installed on my phone using 4g doesnt work nor does wifi really pissing me off

skrpionz

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem: package file is invalid.
I just went to the app store > settings > my apps and updated them from there n they updated fine.. try that idk if it'll work for you but it did for me