Poor Battery Life

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had my NS since May, and lately (as in the last few months), I cannot get through one day of light to moderate usage.

I'd say I average about 8 hours before the low battery warning, and all I'll do is some light texting, WhatsApp messaging, check email, and read some RSS feeds. If I don't use the phone at all, I can maybe get 10 hours.

I'm pretty technically savvy and I'm aware what I keep running and such. I use the auto brightness setting, no 4G, and only turn on wifi when there's a network to connect to.

Does this seem right? I feel as though the battery is not working up to par (and I have tried a factory reset). Between this and constant signal dropping issues, I'm considering taking the phone back to Sprint for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had my NS since May, and lately (as in the last few months), I cannot get through one day of light to moderate usage.

I'd say I average about 8 hours before the low battery warning, and all I'll do is some light texting, WhatsApp messaging, check email, and read some RSS feeds. If I don't use the phone at all, I can maybe get 10 hours.

I'm pretty technically savvy and I'm aware what I keep running and such. I use the auto brightness setting, no 4G, and only turn on wifi when there's a network to connect to.

Does this seem right? I feel as though the battery is not working up to par (and I have tried a factory reset). Between this and constant signal dropping issues, I'm considering taking the phone back to Sprint for a warranty replacement.

Exact same boat a you. But that's pretty much been my experience with all my smart phones. I have 3 brand new batteries and they all have about the same life.

charn65

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

See the Blue Oxygen thread. I know its not the most feature packed ROM, but I'm getting well over 15 hours, and even then I'll charge when I'm going to sleep and it will still have 20-30% left. Its my business phone, so it gets used pretty heavy in calls and email.

This is probably true for all of the O2 roms.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
See the Blue Oxygen thread. I know its not the most feature packed ROM, but I'm getting well over 15 hours, and even then I'll charge when I'm going to sleep and it will still have 20-30% left. Its my business phone, so it gets used pretty heavy in calls and email.

This is probably true for all of the O2 roms.

Tried oxygen was even worse....

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
It's really quite pathetic. Kind of makes me want to consider an iPhone... Even with all the supposed iOS 5 battery issues, those things can still usually make it at least one day.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Please search the threads. This topic has been brought up before. I gave my solution there. I run stock with Matrix kernel and get around 17 hours of battery life per charge. If I get in bad coverage it drains quicker, but I get at least 10-12.

I also carry a spare battery. I think that is the best solution.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/110012-maybe-i-am-alone-one-re-battery-life-2.html#post1168300

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/110012-maybe-i-am-alone-one-re-battery-life.html#post1168231

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like the antenna may be bad, or you may have bad signal in your area.

If there's anything that will kill a battery faster than a huge, bright screen, it's poor signal

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't keep NFC on, so that's definitely not it.

Something could be up with the antenna. I can have full signal, then it'll drop to zero, then bounce back to full. I figured it with a software issue, but if they don't all do that, then I guess it's not.

Scanner85

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
same here, i gave up too. if i unplug my phone at 7am, it's dead by 3pm with light usage. it will last a little longer if i don't touch it at all

dodgebusta

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Where i work I get poor coverage, I used to get 10-12 hours at work no problem with some light use. then about 3 months ago wam bam I get 5-6 hours at work. It took me a month but then I did a factory reset and only added the apps I really needed and it still was only get 6 hours at the max. Started uninstalling the "nice to have" apps, 1st was LED light, no change after 2 days. Then I uninstalled facebook and well I use facebook mobile website now, and I get 12-14 hours of use at work in poor coverage. So I have no clue if the newer versions of Facebook app has improved but I am happy with my 12-14 hours of battery life.

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I do get poor coverage in my school (a one building law school) which probably doesn't help.

Yesterday I flashed the up to date Oxygen ROM. Based on one day's usage, I do seem to get better battery life, and my phone seems much faster.

I just hope this isn't a temporary effect of wiping the battery stats file.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It really isn't a hassle at all. It is the easiest phone of all to root.

BUT - and correct me if I'm wrong - don't you lose data/settings when you root? If I could root my phone right now without having to reinstall or reinstate anything, I'd be up for it. I've had it since May, so I've got a lot of stuff piled up in the memory banks...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
BUT - and correct me if I'm wrong - don't you lose data/settings when you root? If I could root my phone right now without having to reinstall or reinstate anything, I'd be up for it. I've had it since May, so I've got a lot of stuff piled up in the memory banks...

I didn't lose anything when I rooted. But I would make a backup off your sd card contents on your computer just in case. That will only take a few minutes. Then once you are rooted, you can make a backup of your phone using CWM which makes a complete copy of your phone (including settings, wallpaper everything). You will Also want to install titanium backup so you can backup apps and their settings individually. Very handy when flashing roms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress