Everything You Need To Know To Un-"Cripple" Your Captivate

lgorbena

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
still feelings stupid

The first time I typed adb shell and then entered the cp command, I had to open the superuser permissions app on my phone and allow the permission. After that, the other instructions worked fine.

So, I also typed cp, and it gave me some information about BusyBox, which has already been granted superuser permission.... and still not allowed access... Any other ideas? These At&t apps are getting on my nerves....

genmold

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Phone is rooted and busybox installed

type
cp /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
cannot create '/sdcard/settings.db' :Read-only file system

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
type this:
adb shell
su
mv /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.apk /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.tmp
mv /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.apk /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.tmp
mv /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.apk /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.tmp
mv /system/app/MobileBanking.apk /system/app/MobileBanking.tmp
mv /system/app/attmaps20-1094.apk /system/app/attmaps20-1094.tmp
exit
exit
adb shell/ hit enter?
su/ hit enter?

Tried some last night. Will try again when I get off work.

I am new to cmd lines. Was able to get to tools only.

SMAK

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
ok, have followed the instructions, have rooted and busy box up and running and still can not remove the att bloat wear from my apps. went line by line 3 times and still nothing it is all there.

is is showing in the su that the root file is there and busybox is running.

can someone please advise me on this

SMAK

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
ok, nevermind.... didn't put a spce between the mv /system/...

all is gone as of right now, anything else i can remove?

anyone found the correct file name for the att music apk yet.... don't need it, don't want it.

kid320

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
ok, nevermind.... didn't put a spce between the mv /system/...

all is gone as of right now, anything else i can remove?

anyone found the correct file name for the att music apk yet.... don't need it, don't want it.

ATT Music is:

ATT-P11_PROD.apk

SMAK

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the att music apk....

being fairly new i am still gathering info and listening and learning...

you can teach an old dog a new trick or two, Thanks again.

cyraxx

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Disconnect USB from phone. Your phone should be rebooting. When it comes back up, you will be able to install apps from any source (Note the GUI option to enable sideloading will still be missing from the menu).

It will lack the option to turn it on, but will I still be able to download them directly from the phone or will I have to use the computer? I fail to see the reason to do this if that's the case.

Thanks for the guide...it's easy enough to understand so hopefully I won't have any problems when I get my Captivate. Also, if I wanted to unroot my phone for whatever reason, how would I go about doing that?

Last edited:

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
It will lack the option to turn it on, but will I still be able to download them directly from the phone or will I have to use the computer? I fail to see the reason to do this if that's the case.

Thanks for the guide...it's easy enough to understand so hopefully I won't have any problems when I get my Captivate. Also, if I wanted to unroot my phone for whatever reason, how would I go about doing that?

You will still lack the GUI option to toggle it on and off, but you will be able to download a .apk file directly from the browser and install it.

To unroot, all you have to do is delete the files that give you root access. Plug the phone into your computer, go to your sdk tools directory, and type:
adb shell
su
rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
rm -r /system/bin/su

matboud

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok, have a dumb question for you. If the file \sdcard is hidden, how do I find it and copy the update.zip file to it?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. Told you it was dumb.

Last edited:

jeffdroid

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I am new to all of this and I can not get the "adb pull /sdcard/settings.db" to work. My question is what is the syntax on for the %userprofile%. I keep getting either 1024 KB/s (0 bytes in 49152.000s) or Android Debug bridge when I typy the full path. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Edit: I have everything else done and I would like to thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

matboud

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for putting together this post. Got everything rooted, cleaned, and unlocked.

I do have a question however. When Froyo comes out, or there is an update to the OS, are we going to have to do all this over again?

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've tried to root 4 times now and every time I get an error telling me that update.zip doesn't exist. As far as I know I'm doing everything correctly, and yet...
I'm copying to internal storage (I removed the micro sd card beforehand to avoid confusion.
Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions they will be much appreciated.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I now know what I was doing wrong...I had actually renamed the .zip file to update.zip, which actually made it update.zip.zip
Anyway, renamed file to update and it worked like a charm.

Matthew39

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Permission denied error

I've rooted my phone and have superuser permission installed as well as busybox. I have busybox installed correctly I have it in /system/bin/sh or w/e and I can see it allowed by superuser permission. I also have the sdk downloaded to my c drive in a folder called "androidsdk". I go through the steps but when I get to the cp "blah blah blah" when i start to type the cp command it comes up with "permission denied". I've seen this error by other users on here but i'm still not to sure how they fixed it. I've reinstalled busybox because i thought that was the problem but it didn't help. I've restarted my phone many times and tried for a long time to get it to work! Please! Please! Please! Help me!!!!!! My eyes hurt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty