Everything You Need To Know To Un-"Cripple" Your Captivate

SumLunatik

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
After clicking on secure on the left go
on the right side click on the Browse & Search tab at the top then like 1 thru 18 will pop up

D

Will_H24

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It will lack the option to turn it on, but will I still be able to download them directly from the phone or will I have to use the computer? I fail to see the reason to do this if that's the case.

Thanks for the guide...it's easy enough to understand so hopefully I won't have any problems when I get my Captivate. Also, if I wanted to unroot my phone for whatever reason, how would I go about doing that?

You brick it YOU buy the next one!

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Turn on USB debugging on your phone.
Plug in your USB
Open command prompt on your computer, cd to your SDK install directory.
cd to tools within the SDK directory

type this:
adb shell
su
mv /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.apk /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.tmp
mv /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.apk /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.tmp
mv /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.apk /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.tmp
mv /system/app/MobileBanking.apk /system/app/MobileBanking.tmp
mv /system/app/attmaps20-1094.apk /system/app/attmaps20-1094.tmp
exit
exit

Done!
This will Delete ATT Navigation, ATT Radio, MobiTV, Mobile Banking, and AT&T Maps, respectively.

I am fairly new to needing to use command prompt. I have tried to use the computer command prompt and also trying to go through the SDK. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am rooted with busybox running on the phone and USB debugging is on. If anyone can help me with the red portion I should be able to get the rest, just not sure what I am doing wrong.

When I have the SDK command prompt open I can not do anything with it. I uninstalled/reinstalled SDK thinking something happened with that. When I have the phone connected with USB debugging on should I still be able to use the phone controls? Nothing in the SDK.exe lets me do anything with/on the phone or computer. I am lost.

UPDATE:

Well I am editing my question as I have gotten farther by reading more info on this at xda. I am now getting a permission denied error. I opened CMD in Admin and have my phone in USB debugging. This is a screen shot of my CMD prompt.

CommandPromptpermissiondenied.jpg

Is there anything that would lead me in the proper direction from my screen shot? I am just trying to go in order of steps to see if that helps with other processes on my phone. I tried to do the Vibrant market place switch and it wouldn't let me open the .apk file saying it was locked. I was going through apps loader like xda said, so I just wonder if by not having this done it is causing me this error. I have superuser access and my busybox is loaded and green.

Edit: Apparently got it worked out by doing more research. If any of you visit xda forum I have a post in there about not being able to change the market access apk to T-mobile. Any suggestions on that?

Last edited:

mrgoodwords

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
problem solved

Phone is rooted and busybox installed

type
cp /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
cannot create '/sdcard/settings.db' :Read-only file system

Connect to PC, and Eject/Safely Remove the SD card, and "Turn off USB Storage" on the phone

This will fix the issue

emre

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Unlock Problem

Hi Everybody,
I had a samsung i897 3 weeks ago. I bought it from USA and I will use it in Turkiye. Unfotunately, I couldnt get its unlocking code from AT&T, Samsung or any other web-site so far and it is just standing without working.

It seems rooting for the phone will make it work. But I am primitive about you said. There were written some codes. I can try them but I am afraid if it never works? By the way, I hate AT&T, I paid much money because I didnt wanna contract with AT&T, however They didnt give me the key.

So, Advise me something to make it worked please ! :)

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Without unlocking the phone you pretty much won't be able to use it for a phone. And unlock codes are pretty much non-existent from ATT because of the newness of the device. You might be out of luck on this one.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Emre,

Call AT&T, explain that you will be travelling to turkey and want to put a turkish sim-card in and pay local rates rather than US rates. If you're an AT&T customer in good standing, they likely will give you the unlock code. I've done this for two phones now (both were high end phones when I did this) 1 samsung and 1 motorola; but not my captivate - it's managed through my work.

If it doesn't work, maybe you could hang up and try again (it'll be a different customer service rep) or ask the person you're talking to transfer you to their supervisor. Keep asking until you get someone who helps you.

AoN

emre

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
AoN,

Thanks for your kind advise. When I was in USA I called AT&T 3 times but they said they couldnt give the code because it is just special for AT&T customers. So, I have never been an AT&T member before.

Then, I heard that if someone who has an AT&T membership can get this code for me and I called my friend in USA. He said that is ok but they need phone and sim card in USA and I didnt have a chance to send my phoen back to USA.

Anyway I am trying other solutions such as rom loading or may be pay some web-sites to unlock it.

If you have further advise that makes it unlocked I would be appreciated. Thanks.

jonpikeusmc

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok I've read through all the pages and can't figure this part out. When NOT in debugging mode my computer detects my phone and allows SQLite to look through all the files. However when I go to change it I get the message that the file is read only. Obviously I need to put it on debug mode. When I put it on debug mode and connect it, the computer only recognizes two new drives (not the actual phone) and when they are click it says I need to connect a drive. Any ideas? I've been banging my head against the desk for the last 45minutes trying to figure this out.

jonpikeusmc

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok I've read through all the pages and can't figure this part out. When NOT in debugging mode my computer detects my phone and allows SQLite to look through all the files. However when I go to change it I get the message that the file is read only. Obviously I need to put it on debug mode. When I put it on debug mode and connect it, the computer only recognizes two new drives (not the actual phone) and when they are click it says I need to connect a drive. Any ideas? I've been banging my head against the desk for the last 45minutes trying to figure this out.

Nvm, Should have read more carefully from the beginning. Finally got this to work! Thanks so much!

ComputerNerd

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Permission denied

I am getting permission denied after the following steps...

adb shell
*daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
$ su
su
Permission denied
$

And that is as far as I can go. I am using Windows 7 and thought it had to do with its permissions so I used the permission registry to take ownership of a folder and still it did not work. I also tried it on a different machine with XP and still got the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia