Noob Alert: Voodoo on (Unrooted)Official 2.2 Captivate

goldeneye

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have an unrooted Official 2.2 Captivate. I want to get rid of the lag. Alot of people recommend Voodoo to get rid of lag on Galaxy S phones.

Does my Cappy need to be rooted for me to put Voodoo on it?

Or can I just do this:

1. Put captivate-voodoo3.0_bln_v1.10.zip as "update.zip" on my internal SD card

2. 3 button startup thing.

3. Reinstall packages

4. Then BOOM CITY. You're lagfix'd

Will that work?

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a captivate and I remember some told me I had to be rooted to use the lag fix. Rooting is easy and fun though.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You need to have clockwork recovery installed. The method for installing it on Froyo is in the rooting sticky.

Sent from my Captivate

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that as long as the kernel your flashing is rooted, and and has CWM included (almost all have both "out of the box") you can flash straight from stock 2e recovery as long as the file is named "update.zip" first.

I know Supercurio made a Voodoo kernel for stock KB1 2.2- if you intend to run the stock firmware I'd make sure the kernel is 100% compatible.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am out of my element when talking about stock 2.2, however, I thought that the recovery included with 2.2, or one upgraded to 2.2, would be digitally signed. Or whatever. I don't think you can do the rename to update.zip.

That sticky mentioned above probably has an extra step for 2.2.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that as long as the kernel your flashing is rooted, and and has CWM included (almost all have both "out of the box") you can flash straight from stock 2e recovery as long as the file is named "update.zip" first.

I know Supercurio made a Voodoo kernel for stock KB1 2.2- if you intend to run the stock firmware I'd make sure the kernel is 100% compatible.

I'm not sure if that works. CWM 2.x uses a different scripting method for installing things, and I think it was taken out of stock Android awhile ago, so to install something from 2e you have to have it in the updater-script format (I know there's names for these, I'm just blanking on them). The CWM update.zip and the rooting file are both formatted correctly, which is why they work. The kernel most likely uses the CWM 2.x style, so it probably won't.

I could be wrong, and it might work, but I don't think it will.