Is AT&T Insurance worth it?

rudy1986

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't think at&t insurance is worth it. I have best buy insurance and I like it alot. There's no deductible to pay, it covers everything except lost or stolen

Posted via Android Central App

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't think at&t insurance is worth it. I have best buy insurance and I like it alot. There's no deductible to pay, it covers everything except lost or stolen

How is that worth it when it doesn't cover loss or theft?

Insurance covers that, what best buy sells isn't insurance, it's a protection plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Insurance covers that, what best buy sells isn't insurance, it's a protection plan.

It is personal personal preference. Some people don't want loss or theft coverage. Best Buy plan is about the same price of paid 2 years in advance, and has no deductible and no claim limit. In my case, I drop my phone several times a week, so I prefer best buy coverage.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

rudy1986

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

Insurance covers that, what best buy sells isn't insurance, it's a protectionI plan.

Regardless of what it's called I personally like it and even though it doesn't cover lost or stolen I'm still satisfied with the service. I think I'm responsible enough not to get my phone stolen or get it lost.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of what it's called I personally like it and even though it doesn't cover lost or stolen I'm still satisfied with the service. I think I'm responsible enough not to get my phone stolen or get it lost.

Lol

Responsibility has nothing to do with stolen .

Lost, yes, but stolen no.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Ps: I've been using them for three years, I've made 2 claims during that time period, the process is nearly pain free.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

t3chn0s1s

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is AT&T Insurance worth it?

Let me just interject my $0.02 here for what it's worth and maybe to help shed light on insurance for others. I've had AT&T insurance on my plan for the last 4 years and NEVER ONCE did I use it. I recently bought an Xperia ZL (factory unlocked) and since it isn't an official AT&T device I decided to cancel the insurance. Then I up and decided to trade my Xperia ZL for an HTC One (I get bored with phones VERY quickly). And I had the One all of 3 days when I dropped it (maybe 6 inches) on to ceramic tile and broke the LCD. So, my initial reaction was to add the insurance back (and maybe wait a couple days and call in the claim) but AT&T wouldn't let me add it back because I didn't buy the device from them. So, by the same token - had I not removed the insurance it probably still wouldn't cover it but I don't know for sure. Anyways... so I called HTC for a repair quote. Without looking at it they quoted me "up to $180". I was surprised and happy to hear it was relatively cheap. So, I sent it in and today they gave me the official quote of $180 to repair the display so I paid it and they're fixing it. My point is...had I bought the phone thru AT&T and broke it... the deductible would have been $200 and they would have possibly given me a refurb as a replacement. Just an FYI for all you One lovers out there like me (who have broken their LCD on their beloved HTC One and want to know more and/or how much it costs to repair,etc) !

Last edited:

nextelfixer

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Check out WorthAveGroup. $120 for a 2 year policy that covers damage and loss with only a $50 deductable. I think it is the best bang for the buck in insurance.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Att is now a $200 deductible for the better smart phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Which means that you get to pay $440 over the life of the contract with insurance if you use it once.

Worth it I suppose if you are accident prone or if you tend to misplace things. I've not ever lost a phone or dropped it in water. And the last time I cracked a screen was in 2008. So not having insurance for me makes sense based on the law of averages. Even if I ran my phone over with a car today and had to pay full price to replace my phone I'm still coming out ahead overall.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep its $200 deductible and the from what I calculated is $204 over the life of the contract. $7x .215(tax % in WA)x24. Still not really worth it as I can buy just about any newer 6 month old phone or newer off craigslist for $400 or less.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

t3chn0s1s

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm choosing to pay neither, and just buy the Nexus 4 for $349 if I lose/destroy my HTC One

That's all well and good if you live in an area where there is no LTE... But for those of us with LTE it makes absolutely NO sense to go from a One to a Nexus 4 unless you're not concerned with network speed. I know, because I tried to back when the Galaxy Nexus was released. I had a Skyrocket running GB and really wanted an ICS device so I bought a GNex and tried it out for a day and decided there was NO WAY I could hang with HSPA+ speeds vs LTE speeds. So, good luck with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's all well and good if you live in an area where there is no LTE... But for those of us with LTE it makes absolutely NO sense to go from a One to a Nexus 4 unless you're not concerned with network speed. I know, because I tried to back when the Galaxy Nexus was released. I had a Skyrocket running GB and really wanted an ICS device so I bought a GNex and tried it out for a day and decided there was NO WAY I could hang with HSPA+ speeds vs LTE speeds. So, good luck with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Depends if someone thinks LTE is worth spending another $300-$400 on top of the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded a phone line through att and was offered it. For top tier phones its 10 a month plus a 200 deductible. Over the course of a year it would be 320 if u used it once. I've hear it goes up after that. If u have an issues just talk to customer service and they might work with u on doing an upgrade instead of insurance.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

2jjordan12

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Best buy doesn't do the no deductible protection plan anymore. They couldn't afford to keep that going for long. Even if your insurance is 10 bucks a month and your deductible is 200 bucks insurance is worth it because without it your forced to buy a device at full retail price. Which in most cases is around 700 dollars.

Posted via the Android Central App

EllieB19

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
No it is not at all. Do not waste your time or money. I have the at&t insurance for my phone and it is the most obnoxious process I have went through. I had my phone replaced and within 48 hours of me getting my new phone, which came much later than they say it is going to, it already started to malfunction. I called samsung to see if there was anything they could do to fix it. Apparently the insurance uses old refurbished phones so they consistently have problems. I then called the insurance to tell them that the phone they sent me was broken. They tried to tell me that I had to pay another deductible. After much arguing they finally agreed that it was ridiculous to have me pay again for a broken phone that they sent me. So I am currently waiting for another phone replacement. I do not advise getting the insurance, or even using at&t as your service provider.

MartinWH

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
ATT insurance - Not worth it. Asurion is the insurance for ATT. if you make a claim, they send you to them, not an att company. The deductible is about as much as you can replace your existing phone on eBay or Groupon so your just tossing your money away.
its only worth it if you have a brand new model (less than one year old). Galaxies can be bought used/refurbished for $200, the deductible is $199 or more if you make a claim inside of 6 months. An Apple 5S or older can be bought for $200 refurbished as well. The insurance sends you refurbished phones, not new so you just paid $29.99/month for the multi device protection pack which is almost $180 in 6 months, then you pay $199 deductible, hmmmm. you could have just put that $30 month asside and insurce yourself.
Do the math on single line insurance, $10/ month. Yes, it declines but after a year, your phone is worth much less and youve paid a lot into insurance. then the deductible, your better off buying a refurbished on line if your phone dies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38