Inspire work in 3G?

514ford

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
My Aria was stolen last week so I bought an Inspire. After activating it I could not connect to the internet(mobile network) I get a "connection failed due to incorrect APN setting" message. I called AT&T tech and they said my unlimited data plan is only 3G and the Inspire will not work with 3G only 4G. They want me to switch from my unlimited data plan ($20/month) to a 3GB plan($30/month) and then they say my mobile network should work. I am happy with 3G and don't want to spend another $10/month for less data even if it is faster. Can I make the Inspire work with 3G?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My Aria was stolen last week so I bought an Inspire. After activating it I could not connect to the internet(mobile network) I get a "connection failed due to incorrect APN setting" message. I called AT&T tech and they said my unlimited data plan is only 3G and the Inspire will not work with 3G only 4G. They want me to switch from my unlimited data plan ($20/month) to a 3GB plan($30/month) and then they say my mobile network should work. I am happy with 3G and don't want to spend another $10/month for less data even if it is faster. Can I make the Inspire work with 3G?

Call and talk to someone else. Pretty sure you should grandfather in to that same plan.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

tmn72tx

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I had an iPhone 3G prior to going to my HTC Inspire. I had no problems with moving and keeping my unlimited plan. Talking to someone else seems like pretty good advice!

514ford

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. A little more google searching and I found some settings that I was missing. My APN settings were wrong. Entered the right ones and everything is working fine now. Now I am very happy with my Inspire. Quite a step up from the Aria.
These are the settings I found.

Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410 (note. this could also be 310, 41 or 15)
APN Type: leave blank

rrob5382

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. A little more google searching and I found some settings that I was missing. My APN settings were wrong. Entered the right ones and everything is working fine now. Now I am very happy with my Inspire. Quite a step up from the Aria.

Thanks so much, I just upgraded my gophone with the htc inspire and i was upset when the mobile internet would not work. I did exactly what you said and now it works perfectly.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Those settings should work pretty good. I've read that some people have better luck with a different APN, but I think to use that one (something like phone.att.com or something) you have to have had a "4G" phone on your plan before. I guess it has something to do with provisioning on the carrier side of things.

hemingway20

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

This also worked for me. I use to have an Aria and then bought an inspire from some random dude. The internet wouldnt work so i called AT&T and they told me the only way was to upgrade to a 4G Plan. I knew the AT&T dude was just trying to make me pay for extra stuff because my wife's 4G phone works fine on her 3G plan. Plus, i was grandfathered in from Alltel to AT&T so i knew my plan should be unlimited. Thanks dudes!