Droid Turbo: Battery Life

Brian Singleton

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Something is draining my battery and quick. Any help or suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

Looks like me. Something is continually waking my phone, and I can't decipher what it is by the app info. From what I have read, Google Play Services gets used by other apps, so awake time related to that has nothing to actually do with Google Play.

jmantucca

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
You had such little battery drain overnight. I get around 15%. Any idea why? I did the mobile data off on screen on and such. Syncing is off. Apps don't auto update. Any other settings?

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Something is draining my battery and quick. Any help or suggestions?

Try this : Before you go to bed, on Gsam menu at the bottom of the screen, there is a triangle. Tap it to set it at "since screen off". Set the phone down without touching it or moving it, and go to bed. When you wake up, go into Gsam and immediately take a screenshot. That should tell you what's been active while the screen is off and also shows you your % drain per hour. Post back here also with a screenshot of "App Sucker" (first icon on the left side of the Gsam menu bar) to see what's up.

Joseph Leicht

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
This was my real first full drain and recharge statistics. I manually set my screen to full low due to being indoors and then the next day adjusted the brightness accordingly for the brighter room. As you can see I was on my phone a lot! I wouldn't say I was power using ( I could have been doing a lot of streaming) but I definitely wasn't board over the past day either.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415323475316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415323475316.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415323494489.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415323494489.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415323513685.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415323513685.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415323523885.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415323523885.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 65

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
After a dismal first three or four days my turbo has finally come around...almost 36 hrs, just shy of 6 hrs sot.... Im a very happy camper!!! I decided not to plug in last night. So unplugged since 9am on Wednesday.

Attachments

• 1948.jpg
    1948.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 1949.jpg
    1949.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 152

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Is this abnormally high in terms of time awake for Google Play Services?

Attachments

• 1415334929476.jpg
    1415334929476.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 62

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My biggest issue with the battery so far is the idle drain, at least upon my initial analysis. When I unplug at like 3am in the morning and then wake up for real at 7am to go to work, my phone will go down like 6%-10% with wifi on and nothing auto syncing. Maybe it's just interpreting the battery more effectively than the Maxx, but my Maxx would stay close to 100% during that period.

This has big implications for the rest of my day. If I pick up my phone at 90% when I first start using it, then at the end of the day I find myself moderating my use.

The one thing that's easily better on this phone; is that the rate of discharge seems much more consistent. Once I hit 25%, I feel like it's close to an actual 25% whereas the Maxx would go down pretty fast from there.

In that respect, maybe it's just a matter of preference in terms of how I want my stats to be observed. I guess 1.25% per hour discharge (as seen in these screen shots) while unplugged is not really bad. 6% in 5.5 hours is probably nothing to worry about. Just a different reading than I would see on my Maxx, which gives me the perception initially that this battery is not as good. But this thing definitely seems to balance things out as the battery falls below 40%, so maybe it's all in my head.

Yesterday I definitely got results that were as good or better than I was getting on my Maxx recently.

Also, randomly- anybody notice that this phone seems to handle calls really well. I'll be on the phone for an hour and it loses almost nothing, but maybe that's because it disconnects from data during calls??
I also had a problem with idle battery drain the first few days of owning my Droid Turbo. I disabled the features that use the front IR sensors and front facing camera (Settings >>Display >> Attentive Display) and (Settings >> Moto >> Actions). Turned all that nonsense off, and my idle drain time went down. It's now another same level as my Droid Maxx in terms of idle battery drain.

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Try this : Before you go to bed, on Gsam menu at the bottom of the screen, there is a triangle. Tap it to set it at "since screen off". Set the phone down without touching it or moving it, and go to bed. When you wake up, go into Gsam and immediately take a screenshot. That should tell you what's been active while the screen is off and also shows you your % drain per hour. Post back here also with a screenshot of "App Sucker" (first icon on the left side of the Gsam menu bar) to see what's up.

OK. Here are m stats from over night. One other thing I did was shut off the IR sensors on the front so that phone wasn't constantly waking up.

Attachments

• 2673.jpg
    2673.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 2674.jpg
    2674.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 2675.jpg
    2675.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 2676.jpg
    2676.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 135

novanoto

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
After a dismal first three or four days my turbo has finally come around...almost 36 hrs, just shy of 6 hrs sot.... Im a very happy camper!!! I decided not to plug in last night. So unplugged since 9am on Wednesday.

jec11718, what did you change? I've been following this thread and saw your woes. Did you do anything different? Can you let me know what your settings are to get the recent battery time? Thanks!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed a part of my drain problem was WiFi. Downloaded a WiFi analyzer app and I was connected to our router through 5ghz which is more than double the speed of our 2.4ghz but its also about 20dbm worse. Same spot I get around -50dbm on 2.4ghz and around -70dbm on 5ghz. Its a big problem because when I go into my bedroom on the 5ghz its either 0-1 bars around -85dbm and on the 2.4ghz is around -65dbm which is 2-3 bars.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed a part of my drain problem was WiFi. Downloaded a WiFi analyzer app and I was connected to our router through 5ghz which is more than double the speed of our 2.4ghz but its also about 20dbm worse. Same spot I get around -50dbm on 2.4ghz and around -70dbm on 5ghz. Its a big problem because when I go into my bedroom on the 5ghz its either 0-1 bars around -85dbm and on the 2.4ghz is around -65dbm which is 2-3 bars.

@ryanr509 -- I remember for awhile you were testing the Samsung Galaxy S5 Gorilla Gadgets extended battery. I have had the Turbo for 8 days now and am a little disappointed in the battery life. I don't think it's nearly as good as the Maxx. Can you compare the Maxx, the S5 WITH the GG extended battery, and the Turbo in terms of battery life only? I am curious what your experiences with each have been. I have 6 days to decide whether to stick with the Turbo and I am trying to figure out if there is a better option for battery life than the Turbo.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
@ryanr509 -- I remember for awhile you were testing the Samsung Galaxy S5 Gorilla Gadgets extended battery. I have had the Turbo for 8 days now and am a little disappointed in the battery life. I don't think it's nearly as good as the Maxx. Can you compare the Maxx, the S5 WITH the GG extended battery, and the Turbo in terms of battery life only? I am curious what your experiences with each have been. I have 6 days to decide whether to stick with the Turbo and I am trying to figure out if there is a better option for battery life than the Turbo.

These are all with the same settings also. WiFi on all day even when not connected, auto brightness, location setting to high accuracy, gmail, Facebook, fantasy football, weather, sports and a few other apps all syncing every 1-3 hours. No blue tooth at all. So far with the turbo I'm getting around 25-30hrs of usage with around 6hrs screen on time. With the maxx I could get around 35 hours with 7-8 hours of screen on time. And with the s5 with extended battery I could get around 35-40hrs and around 8 hours of screen on time. For what its worth I'm willing to sacrifice the battery life of a phone with extended battery compared to one like turbo mainly for build quality and accessory use. Most phones with a large extended battery are hideous looking and much worse feeling fit and finish than something like the turbo. Also there is almost no case options for extended battery phones. Just my .02. 6 hours of screen time easily gets me through my day from 345am to around 8pm with enough battery life to spare when I go to bed at 8pm that I won't be worrying it will die overnight and I won't be worrying about charging as soon as I wake up. Usually go to bed with around 40% battery with the turbo. If I forget to plug in which I have a few days that 40% lasts me through the night about 7 hours and then I would need to charge around lunch time (11am) at work the next day. All phones fairly equal in my experience I'd rate the S5 first, maxx second and turbo third. But each phone easily lasted what my criteria is for "great" battery life.
Also this is with basically 0 minutes of call time. I usually do a little video streaming maybe 1 hour through a full charge and maybe 1 hour of streaming Pandora or listening to music. A lot of Facebook, Instagram,text, sports center, fantasy football app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware