Has anyone gotten the sideloading update yet?

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
All I can suggest is to turn off your device a few times a day, let it sit for a minute, turn it on and go to Menu/Settings /Applications, and if you got it, it will be right where you see it in those pictures I posted towards the top of this page. At least we know they got their program back up and running. I know how the rest of you feel who haven't received this update that we were promised over a week ago, I started spazzing out towards ATT and even other good people in our forum, which I feel really bad about but I let impatiance take over my feelings and I let loose. If you want, you can call customer care and see if they will manually push it to you otherwise they actually have to put in a request to another department at the call center and they will tell you it could take up to 2 to 3 days to get it sent out. Good luck and hope your time comes soon.

piczon1983

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I just got off the phone with att technical support. Not customer service, but actual technical support. I explained to him the update situation and what it enables. I even mentioned the xbm tool another member mentioned a few pages back. He then explains to me about the xbm tool and what it does etc. He knows NOTHING of an update and asked where I heard about it. I linked to this message board and he looks through it. He reads about other members having the update and the pictures to prove it. He then puts me on hold for a few minutes while he looks for a manager and to show them this thread. He comes back after 5-8 minutes and tells me that this update is nothing they can do on their end. He then tells me that whoever made the thread shouldn't have made it because the info was not accurate lol.

Long story short, the technical support person I talked to had no idea of such update and could not find it on his end. Oh well, if the update comes to me, it comes. If not, it is what it is lol.

ztorin

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Finally got a rep that knew about the update

Hello, my name is Carl. I have never posted anything on a forum on any website. I am excited to share some information for you so you can all get the update for unknown sources. 1.) htc does not give this update because it was a restriction from att 2.) call att and verify your account with account with last four of account holders social security. 3.) tell them specifically this. " I need a manual over the air update pushed to my htc inspire 4g from your technical department using the xbm tool. I need the update to be able to install applications from 3rd party sources such as amazon.com and i was told that you need to be able to access the xbm tool to push it out." Once they get you to technical care and they log into the system they will be able to push the update out, remind them again that you have an htc inspire 4g because if your imei is not correct in their system which means their system thinks you still have an old phone or different phone other than the inspire the update will not work. The imei if you dont know is basically a serial number attached to the type of phone you have so their system knows what they are dealing with. I believe I am the first to release this information online.

Carl, thank you for this info. After 4 calls, and 3 tech-support chats, I just FINALLY got a technician on the chat that knew about the update. Not sure if it was because I dropped the "xbm tool" buzzword from your post or not, but she knew exactly what I was talking about. Blows my mind, since none of the SEVEN other people I've talked/chatted with over the last 3 days knew what I was talking about (including the rep I spoke with not even 60 seconds before I entered this latest chat). She's sending the update to my phone, and told me to just leave it on, and it should show up within 24 hrs. And I confirmed 3 times with her that this was the "3rd-party/non-Market-app/unknown-source" update.

If anyone is still having issues, cut/paste the important stuff from Carl's post above, and put it in the tech-support chat. Best of luck. I'll report back as soon as it hits my phone.

-torin

CousinEddie61

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just got off from chat w/AT&T. No go. Did the whole cut-and-paste; she still didn't know anything about it. All she knew about was the April 29th update. She said that's the only update currently available.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It seems pretty obvious AT&T does a horrible job of training their employees. Has anyone tried going in to an AT&T corporate store and see if they know anything about it? From my experience they seem more tech saavy since they're hands are on the devices daily. I wonder if the display phones got the update.

anon(4144202)

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It seems pretty obvious AT&T does a horrible job of training their employees. Has anyone tried going in to an AT&T corporate store and see if they know anything about it? From my experience they seem more tech saavy since they're hands are on the devices daily. I wonder if the display phones got the update.

yeah it amazes me that customers know more about thier product and support then they do!!! The sad part is they were like that when they were cingular!

lilme08

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
i am chatting with a tech rep now about it and she is giving my early termination fee and i am like what? then she says i'm sorry, i have submitted the request for you and you should get instructions in 24 to 48 hours, i say what? she says allow me 3 minutes

lilme08

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
so after a wasted time with tech chat, i call and the rep tell me that we made the committment to have the offsite team push the manual update for you that should happen by the eob today and that i should get a call when its completed..so we shall see

ztorin

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm still waiting for the update that was supposed to be manually pushed to my phone around 9:30 PM last night per my tech-support chat. She told me to give it 24 hours, but I still don't believe that I'm going to see the update, even though she knew exactly what I was talking about.

Shamanic Enzan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me started. I was just ranting in another thread about the ineptitude of some of those reps.

I find their lack of competence disturbing

Also

HTC gave me a little trick to use before checking for updates/power cycling:

Dial *#*#2432546#*#*
You'll get a notification for "Check in succeeded"

This is supposed to do something that says "I'M HERE NOW GIVE ME MY UPDATE"

Next up for me: Web Chat, if I hear "It upgraded data speeds and added more email options" one more time I'm snapping.

EDIT: "It appears that the system used to do this with is having problems. I am working with several other people to see if anyone can gain access to it." - From Web Chat.

Well that would explain why no one else has gotten it!

EDIT 2: Update system is DOWN. Chat log in the other thread I've been posting. They are working on it now.

EDIT 3: Hit them up, they have it fixed, after they claim to send it, wait a bit and it should appear.

Last edited:

lilme08

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
after being put on hold for a sup and hanging up because it took so long, they called back and i got the push. got amazon app store, but do not know what else this is good for, excited still the same

shawtygotit

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes. As an At&t customer rep i know first hand. they do not train that stuff. they just put the information as an alert in our system. and expect us to be able to find it. If you have no knowledge on the subject you would automatically think the customer was talking about the most recent update. I have actually spoken with reps a few times when I called in and they do not know what i am talking about. Sucks and I am still waiting I may try the tech chat.

mrbro0ks

May 12, 2011
Visit site
After speaking with three different techs the update is supposedly being pushed to me and I should receive it within the next 24 hrs. I was told if I dont receive the update the phone is defective which I find hard to believe.

Shamanic Enzan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes. As an At&t customer rep i know first hand. they do not train that stuff. they just put the information as an alert in our system. and expect us to be able to find it. If you have no knowledge on the subject you would automatically think the customer was talking about the most recent update. I have actually spoken with reps a few times when I called in and they do not know what i am talking about. Sucks and I am still waiting I may try the tech chat.

Be friendly to your techs, until they start yelling at you, which I actually got earlier before being sent to HTC

After speaking with three different techs the update is supposedly being pushed to me and I should receive it within the next 24 hrs. I was told if I dont receive the update the phone is defective which I find hard to believe.

Their server is being defective it looks like. Saying you have the update when you don't

Ocham

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just got off a 45 minute phone call with AT&T tech support. My guy finally found an internal post titled something like "How do they receive the update if they did not automatically receive it on May 25th, 2011." By the way, XDM=cross-functional device manager (not XBM). He agreed that using the XDM tools to push the update is the correct way to update the phone. There seems to be some sort of problem with the XDM tool, and they are unable to login to request push updates at this time. He had no idea when the system would be up and running. Final answer: hurry up and wait.

wacat

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Just spent over 45 minutes on chat with tech support who tried to explain to me how to find the option in settings. I finally convinced him and he tried to push some sort of update but I think it was the latest 4g update and then told me to contact HTC. I even gave him links to this forum and to the official at&t forum which stated there was an OTA update and he ignored them.

Shamanic Enzan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just spent over 45 minutes on chat with tech support who tried to explain to me how to find the option in settings. I finally convinced him and he tried to push some sort of update but I think it was the latest 4g update and then told me to contact HTC. I even gave him links to this forum and to the official at&t forum which stated there was an OTA update and he ignored them.

Usually, unless they know about the update themselves, they'll take the stance of "We're ATT Tech support and we know more then you"

Not great for image reasons.

CousinEddie61

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Spent about 30 minutes on the phone with somebody last night. The good thing is the rep immediately knew what I was talking about. She also said they have a link they go to to push out the update for those of us who didn't get the update by May 25. She tried several times to push the update to me, but she said it kept kicking her out of the system. She seemed extremely frustrated that she couldn't get it to work, apologized to me several times and recommended I try going to an AT&T store to see if they could do it.

So, the good news is AT&T has finally informed their call center reps about the update and has given them a process to update the phones. The bad news is the process may not always work.