If price was the same, would you still get the Nexus 5 over the Moto X?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree. I get better battery life on my Moto X, but it's not the night-and-day difference some people make it out to be.

The Nexus 5 burns a little more watts a hour with 8.74 vs the Moto X burning 8.36. But the N5 has little bigger battery.

The Moto X Battery is 2200 mAh, 3.8V, 8.36 Whr

Nexus 5 Battery is 2300 mAh, 3.8V, 8.74 Whr

LG G2 Battery is 2300 mAh, 3.8V, 11.4 Whr

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 5 burns a little more watts a hour with 8.74 vs the Moto X burning 8.36. But the N5 has little bigger battery.

The Moto X Battery is 2200 mAh, 3.8V, 8.36 Whr

Nexus 5 Battery is 2300 mAh, 3.8V, 8.74 Whr

LG G2 Battery is 2300 mAh, 3.8V, 11.4 Whr

Wow. I thought the g2 had a bigger battery.

Why do people say it gets such great battery life if it is the same size? It seems to me that in some pictures of both screens set to same level that the g2 screen isn't as bright... Still, just curious how that might be. And makes me wonder if an update could make the n5 battery life as good as the g2s. Just curious what people's take on that is since I don't know as much about this stuff as many people here do...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I thought the g2 had a bigger battery.

Why do people say it gets such great battery life if it is the same size? It seems to me that in some pictures of both screens set to same level that the g2 screen isn't as bright... Still, just curious how that might be. And makes me wonder if an update could make the n5 battery life as good as the g2s. Just curious what people's take on that is since I don't know as much about this stuff as many people here do...

The G2 does have a bigger battery than that. Not sure if he had a typo or something. It's 3000 mah.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
As someone who owns both, I get better battery on the n5

I got a chance to use the Moto X today, and I have to agree with your sentiments about the screen. It's hard to go back to the size and colors of an AMOLED. With the camera update coming to the Nexus 5, I think the camera experience will be better with the Nexus, too. Otherwise, the MX is a very nice device--great in the hand, too.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I got a chance to use the Moto X today, and I have to agree with your sentiments about the screen. It's hard to go back to the size and colors of an AMOLED. With the camera update coming to the Nexus 5, I think the camera experience will be better with the Nexus, too. Otherwise, the MX is a very nice device--great in the hand, too.

I'm still trying to love the x, but the screen is taking some serious adjusting. The form factor is phenomenal. Do I want a better phone or media device? The Moto is a better phone hands down, but overall I think the n5 may take the cake. Gonna keep trying the Moto out though.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm still trying to love the x, but the screen is taking some serious adjusting. The form factor is phenomenal. Do I want a better phone or media device? The Moto is a better phone hands down, but overall I think the n5 may take the cake. Gonna keep trying the Moto out though.

Yeah, I got a promo code from Motorola and may or may not put it to use. If they offered free return shipping, I'd definitely do it. But alas, no.

I'm more inclined to keep my 5. The few features the MX have seem great, but I'll be staring at and using that screen 99% of the time. The high end specs also future proofs for future updates, in my opinion. The only one thing the MX definitely trumps the 5 is the one-handed use. Very comfortable to use. The Nexus 5, manageable but not as comfy.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I got a promo code from Motorola and may or may not put it to use. If they offered free return shipping, I'd definitely do it. But alas, no.

I'm more inclined to keep my 5. The few features the MX have seem great, but I'll be staring at and using that screen 99% of the time. The high end specs also future proofs for future updates, in my opinion. The only one thing the MX definitely trumps the 5 is the one-handed use. Very comfortable to use. The Nexus 5, manageable but not as comfy.

Since I burn though phones future proof isn't an issue. I'll keep you updated :)

Oh and its hard to go back after using active notifications.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Since I burn though phones future proof isn't an issue. I'll keep you updated :)

I can definitely understand that. The notification light on the NExus 5 seems a bit lacking now. I'm tempted to install that app that mimics Active Notification...

And great point -- who are we to worry about future-proofing. ; )

EDIT: Also, I love wireless charging.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

You know what's missing from the Nexus 5's Dynamic Notification app, though? Without the Moto X's auto display when you flip the phone over or take it out of your pocket, the active notifications on any other phone don't really help. Because unless the phone's in front of me, if I have to press the power button anyway to see my notifications, it doesn't make much of a difference.

The MX definitely wins in this regard.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You know what's missing from the Nexus 5's Dynamic Notification app, though? Without the Moto X's auto display when you flip the phone over or take it out of your pocket, the active notifications on any other phone don't really help. Because unless the phone's in front of me, if I have to press the power button anyway to see my notifications, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Also whenever you pick the phone up it displays the notifications. Even if it is face up. Such a simple thing is super convenient

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There is one unfortunate design flaw of the Nexus 5. The speaker placement. When playing games, if you're using it in landscape mode, your right palm is guaranteed to cover the speakers, therefore muffling them nearly entirely. Sort of a bummer.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's the same thing too... Anyway didn't mean to jump on you. It's like buying new clothes with intention to return them after wearing to some event. They put them back on the rack! Would you want to buy them next, if you knew someone else already wore them out?

That's okay, I didn't take any offense at your comment. In all honesty, I would keep both the Nexus 5 and the Moto X.

You make a great point with your analogy about returned clothing. Does that apply to electronics as well? For example, I've heard of people who have had great experiences purchasing like-new or slightly used devices from places like Swappa, Cowboom, and Amazon Warehouse.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
That's okay, I didn't take any offense at your comment. In all honesty, I would keep both the Nexus 5 and the Moto X.

You make a great point with your analogy about returned clothing. Does that apply to electronics as well? For example, I've heard of people who have had great experiences purchasing like-new or slightly used devices from places like Swappa, Cowboom, and Amazon Warehouse.

In the electronics world they must make it clear what you are purchasing. If it's been opened then the listing needs to be open box. If it has been returned to the manufacturer for defects and resold it must be labeled refurbished. Pretty sure there are some pretty strict laws here in the US.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
From what I have been told, and seen, as long as the card is 2.0 compatible it should work. Before the 16Gig came out I was told it wouldn't be compatible, but lo and behold, 2.0 capable and it works great.

If all electronics stores do mark returns as open box I don't have much problem with it but for example in NYC there are tons of very tiny shops where they just don't. So... I can't say I'm completely fine with that. But I'm glad you're keeping your great phones. :) I should not have criticized or faintly presumed - that was very unfair of me and I apologize.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I would still buy the nexus 5 hands down! To be honest. I don't think there is a phone out there I would buy if the price was the same.
I'm a total nexus fan and like the minimalistic feel of the physical part of the phone and the experience of stripped down Google experience

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I've loaded Dynamic Notifications premium app on my N5, and it works well. However, I'm testing out how much battery it uses and want to get a sense of battery life with and without it installed. When I go to "Battery" under settings, it is listed as the highest percentage of processes. Sometimes in the range of 30-50%. I seem to get about 2-3% battery loss under idle conditions with DN installed and running. While I am not a heavy phone user and I still have enough juice to get me through the day, I've temporarily uninstalled it to see what difference it makes. I like the idea of active notifications, but for me, I don't find it too useful, as I don't mind pressing the unlock key. I don't carry the phone in my pocket. It's often on my desk or in my bag at work. Also, I like the LED notification lights, and I do use Light Flow as well. I'm on my computer a lot during the day, and Chrome browser with notifications along with various extensions alert me to new Google Voice texts/calls, Gmail messages, etc.

Update: With DN premium, on standy, I'm losing maybe 1%/hr. It's about the same without DN. However, I don't use the "breathing" feature where the notifications flash on the screen periodically. My LED notification light works for me. I have activated waking the phone if flipping the phone over from facedown, waving my hand over the proximity sensor, or pulling it out of a pocket or bag.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174