In screen Fingerprint scanner results

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
As an aside the tips of my thumbs are little dry most of the time, not been a problem with other phones but probabnly not helping. If I press slightly further down my thumb on the flatter part the hit rate seems a lot better.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I work in biometric fingerprinting (we sell the hardware and software, which we developed, for state and federal background check digital fingerprint submission). Optical fingerprint scanners do not work well on dry fingers. Almost everyone will need some kind of ridge builder.

If you make sure to keep your hands moisturized in general it should make a difference, as should holding your finger on the scanner for a 2-count or so.

We recommend Corn Huskers Lotion because it's inexpensive, non-greasy, and a small amount will keep your hands moisturized for hours. In a pinch you can swipe your finger on your forehead or nose and pick up a little skin oil.

Optical will normally be a bit slower than an ultrasonic for one thing it needs light. Capacity is in fact, faster. And ultrasonic is harder to fool than optical, one reason why where I worked they did ultrasonic. And I never had a problem; however, for higher security, they moved over in my last few years to retinal scanners. (Which in some locations was ludicrous since they have an armed officer sitting there checking your ID badge with your photo, then your eyeball via a scanner.)

However, will anyone who steals another person's phone or finds it on the side of the road understand how to fool an optical reader even if they can pick a decent print off the back of the phone? It's not a TS gov't facility. So for me, this is not a deal breaker for a possible purchase next year for a new phone; other features, or lack thereof, might be.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Comparing to the S21 Ultra the FPS reliability seems to be the same, works pretty much all the time. The speed in opening is just a bit slower maybe 1/10 of a second, just enough to notice. Overall very happy however I do wish it also came with the face unlock feature.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Got my 6pro this morning and I set up 4 fingers, both thumbs for when I'm holding the phone and both fore fingers for when the phone is sitting on the table. I turned my fingers in every direction, upside down and all around for each one and it works every time and very quickly.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I set mine up using all different parts of my thumbs and at multiple angles. FPS works flawlessly and quickly for me. I turned the sensitivity up as well. No issues for me.

58Gemni

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No complaints here coming from a Pixel 5. Set up a few fingerprints THEN put on the screen protector. Have not turned up sensitivity yet and getting a hit rate similar to the 5

Update: I did register another finger after installing the screen protector. Then went outside for a couple of tasks. Wet dirty fingers wiped off, lower success rate, but not much worse than the 5 was.

Last edited:

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This is how I did.. I bought this glass screen protector from Amazon and I installed it with no problem (no bubble) before I registered my fingerprint (I registered 2 times same finger) and surprisingly work with no problem.. I say not like 100% but around 95% for me.Screenshot_20211028-150944.jpg

Last edited:

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So far, the in-display fingerprint reader is not impressing me that much. I usually get in without too much trouble, but I liked the reader on my Pixel 5 much better.

Adamd1169

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Definitely takes longer to unlock than the pixel 5. Face unlock was great except when I have a mask on so I prefer the fingerprint. and honestly 1 extra second to unlock isn't that hard a burden. the fingerprint sensor is far from a deal breaker.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I am getting to the point where my fingerprints are recognized about 98% of the time. I'm just learning exactly where to put my fingers on the display. But no matter what it's still a lot slower than the capacitive reader on my Pixel 5.