[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Has anyone been locked out of transferring their upgrade from a UDP to a TDP line?

I went online yesterday, transferred my upgrade from UDP line to a TDP line and completed ordering the upgrade online. Everything went through fine, then about an hour later we got an email saying this:

"Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate your interest in Verizon Wireless products and services, and we look forward to serving your wireless needs.

Your order is currently on hold as additional information is required to complete your order. Your credit card has not been charged. Your order will remain open for up to 7 days from the date we received the order.

Please contact the Credit and Order Review Team at 866-338-7390. We will hold your order for 7 days from today's date."

So, I called them and the lady was very vague, but basically said the "pop" didn't go through or something like that and the upgrade wasn't coming through correctly, so she said she would cancel it all out and then I could go back in and redo the upgrade like before.

I went in today to do the upgrade and now it's locked the TDP so that I can't transfer the upgrade to that line, here's what it looks like:

View attachment 232147

When I click on "Transfer Upgrade to Another Line" it only gives me the option of the other two lines and not the TDP line.

Anyone run into this scenario? Is this something new Verizon is doing now to block us from transferring the upgrades to the TDP line and doing the upgrades through that line?

The reason the TDP is blocked out is because the pending order hasn't been cleared yet.

I would give it a day or two depending on how much time you have, if it is still blocked then I would call them back.

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

The reason the TDP is blocked out is because the pending order hasn't been cleared yet.

I would give it a day or two depending on how much time you have, if it is still blocked then I would call them back.

That is really good to know, glad it's not something new they are doing to screw us all over. I'll check it out tomorrow and will update everyone on this.

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Just got off the phone with Verizon, it was an easy fix. Rep had me clear the cookies, etc. from the browser and it worked like a charm. That line is now showing eligible to transfer the upgrade to. Woo hoo!

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Just got off the phone with Verizon, it was an easy fix. Rep had me clear the cookies, etc. from the browser and it worked like a charm. That line is now showing eligible to transfer the upgrade to. Woo hoo!

Good deal

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I got three lines on my account of which only mine still has unlimited data from several years back. Just today, I upgraded one of the other phones on a two year contract and it came with its own 2gb of data. I was mindful not to fall for "everything shared." That said, I always hesitated to upgrade my phone out of concern that VZW wouldn't let me keep the unlimited at that point. Any suggestions on how to prevent that from happening? I hope to be able to hang on the current phone until Note 7 becomes available.

djminneapolis

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site

The 3G data card that I have does not have a sim card. This was before the days of Verizon sim cards. Now they require sim cards. I don't think there is any way around this unless someone else knows a loophole. Also, the Verizon rep told me they can't even transfer the service from one 3G device to another. So if this device breaks, I lose my unlimited essentially.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I got three lines on my account of which only mine still has unlimited data from several years back. Just today, I upgraded one of the other phones on a two year contract and it came with its own 2gb of data. I was mindful not to fall for "everything shared." That said, I always hesitated to upgrade my phone out of concern that VZW wouldn't let me keep the unlimited at that point. Any suggestions on how to prevent that from happening? I hope to be able to hang on the current phone until Note 7 becomes available.

Make sure one of your tdp lines is on contract. Transfer the upgrade from that unlimited line to tdp, upgrade the tdp line and activate it on the tdp line. You can sell it or use it on one of the tdp lines. But never put it on the UDP line or you will lose udp.I would advise you to get the note 7 as soon as possible so that you can lock in the lower rate for 2 years. There's another rumored sweep coming August 21st for lines not on contract.

djminneapolis

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site

Ok, so if you have an unlim data plan already and have never upgraded, I think you could upgrade to new usb device using their device data plan and still keep your unlim data plan. They will give you a new sim too. I'm sure others will comment on your situation and maybe give you better advice.

The 3G data card that I have does not have a sim card. This was before the days of Verizon sim cards. Now they require sim cards. I don't think there is any way around this unless someone else knows a loophole. Also, the Verizon rep told me they can't even transfer the service from one 3G device to another. So if this device breaks, I lose my unlimited essentially.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I hate to say it, but I think you're stuck ....well....just enjoy 3G as much as you can

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Or you can go to eBay and either rent an unlimited data line or even try to buy one, but that could be sticky at best....give it a try

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Make sure one of your tdp lines is on contract. Transfer the upgrade from that unlimited line to tdp, upgrade the tdp line and activate it on the tdp line. You can sell it or use it on one of the tdp lines. But never put it on the UDP line or you will lose udp.I would advise you to get the note 7 as soon as possible so that you can lock in the lower rate for 2 years. There's another rumored sweep coming August 21st for lines not on contract.

Following your suggestion, I vaguely remember doing something similar when I successfully upgraded my HTC Rezound to Note 3. But now I'm confused. Two of my three lines (not including mine) have 2gb data each, recently upgraded, and are under contract. If I transfer my upgrade to one of their lines, what is going to happen? How is my line, after my own upgrade, eventually would stay UDP? Sorry for being dim. P.S. Your caution about Note 7 is duly noted. Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Following your suggestion, I vaguely remember doing something similar when I successfully upgraded my HTC Rezound to Note 3. But now I'm confused. Two of my three lines (not including mine) have 2gb data each, recently upgraded, and are under contract. If I transfer my upgrade to one of their lines, what is going to happen? How is my line, after my own upgrade, eventually would stay UDP? Sorry for being dim. P.S. Your caution about Note 7 is duly noted. Thanks.
The upgrade date on the unlimited data line would be pushed, other line wouldn't change

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Or you can go to eBay and either rent an unlimited data line or even try to buy one, but that could be sticky at best....give it a try
Generally you would need an unlimited data line to assume liability of one. And I am not sure that a 3g mifi line would count.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

The upgrade date on the unlimited data line would be pushed, other line wouldn't change

If I transfer my upgrade to one of the other two lines, wouldn't that cause me my own opportunity to upgrade?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If I transfer my upgrade to one of the other two lines, wouldn't that cause me my own opportunity to upgrade?
If you have unlimited on line 1,tdp on line 2 currently on contract... Upgrade transfer upgrade from line 1 to line 2,then the 2 year contract would be applied to line 1.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

And then, once I actually upgrade Line 1 with a 2 year contract, I'd still retain unlimited data? 'Cause, I guess, there are two objectives: to be able to use a 2 year contract discount AND to keep unlimited data.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

And then, once I actually upgrade Line 1 with a 2 year contract, I'd still retain unlimited data? 'Cause, I guess, there are two objectives: to be able to use a 2 year contract discount AND to keep unlimited data.
Correct you would keep unlimited data so long as you never activate the phone on your unlimited data line.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Oh I must have misunderstood then , bc I thought he had an unlim data line on his account already? But I guess bc it's 3G, that is the issue?

nycrazyy

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site

Here is my situation:

Line 1 has unlimited data
Line 2 has a 2gb data plan

In the past, whenever my Line 1 was eligible for an upgrade, I would transfer that contract onto Line 2, buy my new smartphone on that Line 2, and then put my Line 1 SIM card in that new smartphone and retain my unlimited data that way.

Edit:

From my research, here is what I observed from forum members:

1.) Order phone online from VZW on TDP line.
2.) Once you receive the new phone, DO NOT turn on the new phone.
3.) Remove SIM card from new phone and throw it away and put your SIM card (from your phone with unlimited data) in the new phone
4.) You retain unlimited data and now have a new phone.

^^^ Does that method still work?

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Here is my situation:

Line 1 has unlimited data
Line 2 has a 2gb data plan

In the past, whenever my Line 1 was eligible for an upgrade, I would transfer that contract onto Line 2, buy my new smartphone on that Line 2, and then put my Line 1 SIM card in that new smartphone and retain my unlimited data that way.

Edit:

From my research, here is what I observed from forum members:

1.) Order phone online from VZW on TDP line.
2.) Once you receive the new phone, DO NOT turn on the new phone.
3.) Remove SIM card from new phone and throw it away and put your SIM card (from your phone with unlimited data) in the new phone
4.) You retain unlimited data and now have a new phone.

^^^ Does that method still work?

Do you have an upgrade available on line 2?

If you transfer an upgrade from line 1 to line 2 you will never be able to put that phone on line 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796