Official I got the OTA DL09 update discussion. See Post #2 for problems/solutions!

gnusmas

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Also updated, same issues as others:
- first 2 letters auto capitalized in swype
- USB as cd drive-bootstrap.exe option
- noticed no MAC address, now "unavailable"
same with bluetooth
- noticed way hotter than normal when browsing net
- USB does not seem to charge past 50% if starting charge
below halfway point, while phone is active

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Also updated, same issues as others:
- first 2 letters auto capitalized in swype
- USB as cd drive-bootstrap.exe option
- noticed no MAC address, now "unavailable"
same with bluetooth
- noticed way hotter than normal when browsing net
- USB does not seem to charge past 50% if starting charge
below halfway point, while phone is active

-If you root, you can get rid of swype, and install the beta.
-Fixed if you root and install one of my kernels, or one from Sirgatez.
-No mac address shows when wifi is disabled.
-Same with bluetooth.
-Ditto.
-Might want to check the power your usb port is supplying.

AngelicaRM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
no need for the verizon wireless web site to keep popping up on USB connect!

After the DL09 upgrade (which I just got today in Brooklyn, NY), i am rather annoyed to see that the Verizon Wireless web site (media manager) pops up every time i USB connect to my PC! how do i change that?!

thanks!

dark96

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I noticed alota ppl discussing the vcast popping up, but i dont seem to be having that issue, i just let it sit there for a bit not bother running anything, and the usb connection pops up like normal. I tried that and for it to ask my permission to use as a media or sd storage, and same results....dunno if that will help anybody just thought i would share

gnusmas

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
-If you root, you can get rid of swype, and install the beta.
-Fixed if you root and install one of my kernels, or one from Sirgatez.
-No mac address shows when wifi is disabled.
-Same with bluetooth.
-Ditto.
-Might want to check the power your usb port is supplying.

my bad on the addy, should have known that...
but never had charging problem before update,

anyone noticed the slight "lag" coming back?
- used to be "snappy" after the update

I am checking all info on rooting- & already regret updating

gcav@yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Tether Not working after Update

Update my Fascinate last week with Verizon OTA software update.
Phone is still rooted, but Wireless Tether not working. Any Ideas?:(

smoji001

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Web browser problems

After the update is seems that when I input any text into the web browser either in a search bar or username input area, the first AND second letter are capitalized automatically, instead of the keyboard only capitalizing the first letter, then switching to lower case. It's kinda bugging the crap out of me.

missmotta

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
After many tries to manually look for update on my phone, I finally took it to the VZ store by my house. It seems that some application that I had downloaded was blocking the OTA update. The nice lady then factory reset my device and voila! There it was. Had to spend the whole day reinstalling all of my apps... bummer. But my phone seems to be running fine with no battery drain or other issues... so far!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
After many tries to manually look for update on my phone, I finally took it to the VZ store by my house. It seems that some application that I had downloaded was blocking the OTA update. The nice lady then factory reset my device and voila! There it was. Had to spend the whole day reinstalling all of my apps... bummer. But my phone seems to be running fine with no battery drain or other issues... so far!

You should consider purchasing MyBackup Pro - Android app on AppBrain

so that next time you can just pop in your SD card and restore

UltiMatDan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ota dl09 issues

Did anyone else notice their Fascinate acting MORE funky after the most recent update in early Jan? I don't mean the obvious USB mounting glitch when connected to a computer...I mean I've noticed Swype being more of a pain in the ass for example... with it not recognizing words as easy, the autocorrect being even way more off than it was, the Caps lock button staying down longer than it should making the first two letters of a word in caps instead of just one, phone freezing up more and also more lag...

I suppose the keyboard/Swype is my biggest gripe at the moment...any suggestions?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone else notice their Fascinate acting MORE funky after the most recent update in early Jan? I don't mean the obvious USB mounting glitch when connected to a computer...I mean I've noticed Swype being more of a pain in the ass for example... with it not recognizing words as easy, the autocorrect being even way more off than it was, the Caps lock button staying down longer than it should making the first two letters of a word in caps instead of just one, phone freezing up more and also more lag...

I suppose the keyboard/Swype is my biggest gripe at the moment...any suggestions?

I've noticed a lot of funky things. One being the bar that comes up when you adjust the volume no longer shows. So I adjust the ringer, or in call volume, and it changes but not indicator letting me know. The funny thing is I'll see it randomly pop up a few hours (sometimes days) later.

I don't use Sywpe, but use it today to see what happens.

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any problems with the swype keyboard. but i didn't use it until 3 days ago because i always used ultra keyboard. I've been using it for 3 days now with no issues.

jawman2727

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't updated to dl09 yet for two reasons:
1. General mistrust of firmware updates
2. Love my Fascinate, and I'm not having any problems with it (just have to reboot right before using GPS to get a quick lock)

I am, however, interested in the "snappiness" I've read about and the GPS fixes, so I may install soon. I have been scouring the message boards for information for the last few weeks, and I have seen some recurring themes and some clever fixes. I thought I'd represent the newbs and summarize what I've found and present some of the fixes I've seen. This is mostly geared toward unrooted newbs such as myself. Advanced users: feel free to correct or mock me, but please try to answer my question at the end.

Problem: Swype screwing up (capitalizing the first two letters/words)
Fix (questionable): Some claim to have found relief by adjusting the speed/accuracy slider away from the far left.
Other Fix: Turn off auto-capitalization and do it yourself (easy)
Other Fix: Get the Gingerbread keyboard (not sure how to do this, but I've heard it can be done) or one of many others.

Problem: SD card not mounting when plugged into laptop, but instead tries to Media Sync
Fix: From Samsung tech support via forum user: Settings-->USB Settings-->USB Mode-->Change it around (regardless of which it's on) and end on "Mass Storage." Then reboot.

Problem: Wi-Fi or Bluetooth not connecting properly
Fix: Sorry, I haven't come across anything significant yet. If you haven't rebooted yet, try that.

Problem: Emergency dialing not working if using pattern unlock
Fix: Avoid emergencies while Samsung looks into it and fixes it in 2015. Stay at home and play video games.
Other Fix: Don't use the pattern unlock for now if you are one of the unlucky ones.

Problem: Not connecting to MACs
Fixes: Buy a real computer, buy an iPhone, or perhaps try the USB settings fix mentioned above.

THE Big Problem: Battery Life now sucks.
Fix: First, make sure settings are correct for WiFi, GPS, screen brightness, etc.
Fix: Some say draining all the way and then recharging helps, particularly when used in conjunction with the following step.
Fix: Many people say dialing *228 99 to reprogram helps, particularly with idle time battery loss
Fix: Rooted users with Clockwork have a much acclaimed fix that involves wiping battery stats and cache. It's easy enough to find in the forums.

Question for the Experts: Would doing a factory reset wipe the battery stats and cache the same way Justin's Clockwork fix would do? I'm unrooted, and I'll probably stay that way for now.

Everyone else, please chime in to confirm or debunk these problems/fixes. Again, I'm unrooted, stock with no real problems with dl01, so I'm just summarizing.

mer

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I deferred my update that just tried to come OTA. How to I keep DL09 from installing on my phone? (currently not having issues, no time right now to mess with any problems it creates).

Do the USB connectivity issues effect the function of apps that use a USB connection like PdaNet?

Thanks in advance.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, my battery life is now back to multi-day after the update. I had a severe drain before and after the update, apparently caused by the Comcast xfinity app. Deleted that and I'm back to where it was before xfinity and before the update.

hillview

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Where is your ram running? After update i'm running 270 of the availale 325 at first start up and idle. I'm not rooted and have tried to remove apps one by one to find the culprit, but none seem to make a big difference. This started after the DL09 update. Any suggestions?

UltiMatDan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
ram

The ram was always running at that I believe even before the DL09 update, at least on mine and a lot of other peoples, and is supposed to be something that the Android 2.2 Froyo update fixes.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, my battery life is now back to multi-day after the update. I had a severe drain before and after the update, apparently caused by the Comcast xfinity app. Deleted that and I'm back to where it was before xfinity and before the update.

I have the same battery life I had before the update (very good) and I also have the Comcast Xfinity app installed.

I charge every night and have never had "multi day" but I'm happy getting through an entire day.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz