Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: How Are You Handling the Recall

(Samsung explanation of the problem, paraphrased) Due to a manufacturing defect, the 2 electrodes can touch. If they come in contact with each other bad things happen. Remember the steel wool and the 9v battery... yep like that only much more powerful.
Where did you find this explanation by Samsung? Can you share a link? I'd like to read the whole thing - especially the part about the potentially touching electrodes.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

I read that too, and while I tried to save as much as possible, I have no idea where I read it to offer you a link.
Where did you find this explanation by Samsung? Can you share a link? I'd like to read the whole thing - especially the part about the potentially touching electrodes.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

Replaceable batteries would not have stopped these incidents. I wish people would stop posting nonsense to support their own agenda. It doesn't help.

True...but, if it does turn out to be a battery issue, this whole thing could've been resolved much quicker, and easier.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

Also, remember that Smart Switch can back up your entire phone and copy it back to the replacement unit, customization and all... so customize away!
I'm new to Samsung. Is this like a full backup image? So I can hit one button on my new Note if I back up with this?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I ran my IMEI number through the website earlier (sorry mods about posting the link, didn't know) and it said it was affected. Then I saw the mods notice about not posting your IMEI number on that site as it may not be a valid site so it kind of freaked me out. I called my local T-Mobile store and asked about the loaner phone and they said they had one so I drove over to the store as it's only about 4 miles from my work. I got there and they rep I spoke to said T-Mobile had released a new internal email that they are no longer providing in store loaners but provided a phone number for me to call (1-844-275-9309 this is for T-Mobile) and they would be able to send me one. I got back to work and called the number, total time took about 5 minutes and I have a silver S7 on the way. When I was in the store I mentioned to the rep that I entered my IMEI number on that site and later found out it may not be legit and he assured me there is nothing to worry about. With the IMEI number all they can get is basic info like specs, when it was made, where it was made and so on. He said for anyone to do any damage to my account (rack up a bill) they would need all my info to verify that they were me, so as long as I didn't share that info there was nothing to worry about. Scammers could provide the IMEI number to potential buyers to verify that it's clean but that's about it... at least that's what the rep said.

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I put my imei number in just for fun and it said my phone is not eligible for exchange because I bought it on September 2 or past that.... Which is laughable because I got this phone on August 19th on the release date lol I already signed up for the exchange program and got a cofirmation number and everything... What's going On?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

True...but, if it does turn out to be a battery issue, this whole thing could've been resolved much quicker, and easier.

How? The entire phone still needs to be collected by Samsung/carriers , to ensure their would be no more faulty batteries out there.

The sealed batteries in this case, actually helps that process.

When there is a bad part on a car, the entire car is recalled, not just the bad part.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

They would simply ship out replacement batteries, if the owner of the phone chooses not to do anything about it then the liability is no longer on Samsung as long as they notified them of it issue and provided them with the steps necessary to remedy the issue. I would assume they would also provide a return shipping label so that the owner could return the defective battery so it could be disposed of properly.

In your example the car is not recalled, as in they give you a new one, you simply take it into a dealership and they replace the component that warranted a recall.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

They would simply ship out replacement batteries, if the owner of the phone chooses not to do anything about it then the liability is no longer on Samsung as long as they notified them of it issue and provided them with the steps necessary to remedy the issue. I would assume they would also provide a return shipping label so that the owner could return the defective battery so it could be disposed of properly.

In your example the car is not recalled, as in they give you a new one, you simply take it into a dealership and they replace the component that warranted a recall.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. What if they ship out these new batteries, and phones continue to explode? What if someone is handling the old battery while changing to the new one, and there is an accident? Not a chance Samsung takes that risk.

These phones have to be tested with the new batteries to ensure they are safe.

In the meantime, all of the potential fire hazards have to be recalled. Not just the battery.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

New Text from T mobile says Samsung wants you to return the phone for a full refund. There is no data for replacement Notes.
No mention of loaner. Seems like things are worse this week.

From the Tmobile website:
Updated September 12, 2016 at 9:15*AM PT

Samsung and the Consumer Product Safety Commission are urging customers to power down their Note7 devices, stop charging or using them, and exchange them now.
We encourage customers to follow Samsung’s guidance and return the Note7 to T-Mobile for a full, complete refund of anything paid for the device and any Note7 accessories, and get a different device in our inventory. We’ll waive any restocking charges and shipping fees, and customers can keep the free Netflix subscription and Gear Fit or SD card they received with purchase during pre-order.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. What if they ship out these new batteries, and phones continue to explode? What if someone is handling the old battery while changing to the new one, and there is an accident? Not a chance Samsung takes that risk.

These phones have to be tested with the new batteries to ensure they are safe.

In the meantime, all of the potential fire hazards have to be recalled. Not just the battery.

They would have done the testing with the new batteries prior to shipping them out. They already figured out what the issue is with the battery http://phandroid.com/2016/09/08/why-samsung-galaxy-note-7-explodes/ so then they would build the new battery, test it to verify that the issue has been resolved. Once they are satisfied that the issue has been resolved then they would make the announcement and send out emails with the steps owners would need to take in order to obtain a replacement battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe