Proximity Sensor Problem with Pixel 2 XL and Oreo 8.1?

Ramsy

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing this problem after updating to 8.1?

When I make or receive a call, even though my face nor any other object is near the phone, my screen turns off (i.e. just as if the phone thought my face was next to the phone.) However, I cannot turn the screen back on until the person on the other end of the call hangs up. The finger print sensor will not turn the screen back on. The power button will not turn the screen back on. This is a problem as I cannot access the dial pad to input numbers with automated phone systems nor I cannot switch to speaker phone. I cannot access any other apps during the call. In fact, I cannot access my phone again until the other person hangs up. (The only semi-work around I have found is to select the option to use the power button to hang up the call. But, this is not really a work around as I still have no access to anything on my phone during a call.)

Another problem I am experiencing is that double tap feature does not wake the screen up to show the time or notifications. Nor does the lift gesture to show time and notifications work.

I installed a sensor test app and the app says that there is an object 0.0 inches away from the proximity sensor when there is no object anywhere near the sensor.

I do have a screen protector on my Pixel 2 XL. However, I had a screen protector on with Oreo 8.0 and never had any of these problems.

Anyone else out there experiencing the same issues by any chance?

Prath09

Oct 26, 2017
Visit site
My 2XL works perfectly just tested it. As soon as proximity sensor is covered screen goes black. As soon as its uncovered turns back on. Tested by calling myself and using my hands to cover and uncover. Running 8.1 Dec patch.

Edit: Do you have a screen protector that is covering the proximity sensor (no cutout for the sensor) if so that may be what is causing the problem.

Last edited:

Ramsy

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for testing and replying so quickly. My screen protector does have a cut out for the proximity sensor.

Edit: I just took the screen protector off and there was no change.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try uninstalling updates for the Phone (aka Dialer) application. There has been some strange behavior related to that recently; perhaps it's related to your problem.

NewUser92

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my Nexus 5X. The result of a sensor test was at beginning "far". If I touch the sensor it switches instantly to "near" (normal function). But after I release my finger from the sensor it dosn't turn back to "far". It stay at "near" since I restart my phone.

If I call somebody the display is direct turning off. My conclousion is that android is not using the sensor in "normal use" if no app is force the sensor like the dialer.

Hope we find a solution for that...

RenaRF

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
Yes! I had the exact same issue this morning. One of two things fixed it, and I don't know which. As another person pointed out, you can delete and then reinstall the actual phone dialer app. Once you do that, make sure you go back into your apps and enable the dialer.

The second thing the tech told me to do was to really give a good cleaning to my screen. He said he thought this was likely a proximity sensor issue, as the proximity sensor is associated with the dialer app and is designed to shut the screen off when it is near your face to save battery power. That's all well and good, but I don't ever hold the phone up to my face. I either have it on speaker, or I am using a headset connected via Bluetooth. Regardless, I held the screen in reflective light to see two very faint fingerprint smudges and I cleaned them off. Once I tried to use the phone, I was back to where the screen did not shut off.

Regardless of the fact that I have fixed my problem, if it is the proximity sensor, that's just ridiculous. Number one, you can't keep your screen spotless all the time. Number two, hitting the power button repeatedly, hitting every button repeatedly, tapping the screen repeatedly, and trying to get your fingerprint recognized should wake the damn screen regardless of what the stupid proximity sensor is doing.

I had thought perhaps that I was the only one having this issue until I searched on proximity sensor and I see that many people are having the same issue. Does anyone know if Google intends to fix this? This renders my phone completely useless to me. This is my business phone. I am on numerous conference calls on any given day, and if that screen blacks out again I can't dial into them or enter a passcode. I can't accept an incoming phone call. I basically can't do anything as the original poster noted.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
and is designed to shut the screen off when it is near your face to save battery power.

If this is actually what the rep told you, that rep needs to take some classes. The screen shuts off to prevent accidental key presses, more than for any other reason.

Capir07

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
another one with this problem from Spain that does not turn on the screen to separate phone from the face, very sad about the problem

prestigiouswireless

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and nogo. I have yet to remove the screen protector. Anyone have a image with theirs on that does have the cutout for that sensor?

Capir07

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
It is not a problem of the protector I have removed them and the same thing, I have restored them and they have not even changed their pixel and it is from the same date that they are, but the problem remains

Digger1104

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Started yesterday. I am also self employed and spend most of the day on calls in the car. I do not have a screen protector and have wiped the screen for the last 10 minutes like a crazy person. No change!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky