[ROM] ApeX V2.0.0 Beta (5/3/2011)

bigxie

Dec 6, 2010
fabdroid.com
ApeX V2.0.0 Beta for Droid X

Requirements: Please follow the image below to find your upgrade path to ApeX 2.0.0. It goes from left to right.

upgrade-path.PNG

Another way to tell if you need the kernel update is to check if you have the following kernel version. If you don't, then you need to update.

2.6.32.9-g0bae333
qgd748@il93lnxdroid09 #2

Disclaimer
Code:
As always, you must take responsibility for what you do to your own phone. 
I have created this ROM and tested it to the best of my ability. 
The instructions are written to make sure that users have success installing and using the ROM. 
However, if anything goes wrong and your phone is damaged or rendered useless, I do not take any responsibility.

Additional Credits: I would like to especially thank kejar31 for teaching me his secret sauce technique for compiling AOSP apps for the Blur Framework. I'd like to thank jrummy16 and drod2169 for helping me on Gtalk and troubleshooting some issues, and _Mycahya_ for stepping up and undertaking the daunting task that is theming the Blur Dialer and Contacts!

Of course, credits to P3Droid, Team Black Hat, MyDroidWorld for the Gingerbread leaks, the CyanogenMod team for many of the apps, Google for many more apps, and all the nice brave people on Twitter for testing this for me, helping me squash bugs, and submitting beautiful wallpapers!

If I left anyone out, please let me know so I can properly credit you!

Features:

-Android 2.3.3 based on latest Gingerbread leak (4.5.591)
-Almost all apps replaced with AOSP/CM7 counterparts
-Stock Gingerbread Theme
-Bloat and Market apps removed
-Facebook for Android App syncs w/ Blur Contacts!
-DSP Manager (visual equalizer) for headphones, phone speaker, and BT
-MusicMod with gesture controls
-Dev Tools, Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator for fun tweakin'
-ApeX wallpaper gallery with user submitted wallpapers!
-Quadrant "Turbo" Mode for mad scores
-Blur mass restore script (if you must...)

Screenshots:

lockscreen.png
home.png

launcher2.png
dialer.png

musicmod.png
DSP.png

about.png

Scripts:

poweroverwhelming : activate Quadrant "turbo" mode
restoreblur : Blur mass restore script -- run it for detailed instructions
sys : mount system r/w and r/o

Things to know:

-Nothing is broken functionality-wise if you don't flash part 2, but you will find many apps that aren't themed. This is done on purpose, because flashing the themed version on the initial boot causes major problems. Blame Motorola.
-Download Market apps yourself. Remember to go into account settings to enable Gmail sync
-If you ever do a factory reset, you must reinstall part 1 while still in recovery, or you will lose a lot of apps (including Settings!) DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET WITHOUT REINSTALLING PART 1!
-On the first boot, choose Launcher and set it to default (don't click Setup)
-Don't add email accounts via 'My Accounts' ! Those links are left in there so the system does not break, but they don't work! Add accounts via the Email app directly!
-If you have a pattern unlock set up, it will bypass the slide unlock (no double unlocking). Please note that the default 'Security Lock Timer' is 20 mins, which IMO should be lowered (otherwise an unlock will go straight to the homescreen if it's within 20 mins of the last locking).

Installation Instructions:

WIPE DATA AND CACHE (unless you were an Alpha tester)

1. You must be on a Gingerbread based ROM. If not, see diagram above for the upgrade path from Froyo to Gingerbread.
2. If you are on .588 or below, install the kernel update while installing ApeX Part 1 (during the same Clockwork recovery session)
3. If you are on .591, install ApeX Part 1
4. After booting into ApeX once, you can install D2 Bootstrapper and install Part 2.

LINKS:

ApeX Kernel Updater : http://fabdroid.com/roms/apex/ApeX_kernel_update.zip
ApeX V2.0.0 Part 1 : http://fabdroid.com/roms/apex/Fabolous_ApeX_2-0_Beta-Part1.zip
ApeX V2.0.0 Part 2 : http://fabdroid.com/roms/apex/Fabolous_ApeX_2-0_Beta-Part2.zip

Removed Apps (this is not flashable) : http://fabdroid.com/roms/apex/removedapps-GB.zip

MD5 Sums:

754afa7f35ffa74117323f8e995883fe ApeX_kernel_update.zip
39eac14148cbdd91f5327890fdea48aa Fabolous_ApeX_2-0_Beta-Part1.zip
a898813eae6b1b0343d9494fe415bac1 Fabolous_ApeX_2-0_Beta-Part2.zip

BUGS:

-Battery History in Spare Parts causes it to FC (DX GB leak issue)
-Clicking on phone numbers in Maps or Browser does not copy them into Dialer
-MusicMod does not have lockscreen controls
-Email links in 'My Accounts' are broken, use the Email APP!

If you enjoy my work, consider buying me a beer :)

Donations FabDroid

bigxie

Dec 6, 2010
fabdroid.com
Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody help me out with changing the boot logo? I flashed this after being on Liberty Gingerbread, and I still have the yellow Liberty fist as the boot logo. The fist is cool, but I'd like to get rid of it if I'm not on Liberty...

slycen

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Been using it for a little while, nice and snappy. Ultra, did you do a factory reset when you installed? should clear the boot image. If it does not you may need to SBF back to a stock image or something. I'm not the best help though.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Will there be a one step install in the near future? I am currently on 1.4.1 and find all the steps in the map a bit daunting.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Will there be a one step install in the near future? I am currently on 1.4.1 and find all the steps in the map a bit daunting.

Don't feel bad, I've been Rom hopping for awhile and even the steps here kind of make me want to wait. Gingerbread is so good that flashing an incomplete rom would be a downgrade, right now anyway. Apex looks promising though, don't get me wrong guys.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

droidxixis

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
For me, this thing is awesome! Fast and fluid. ONE problem I've found...when I use the Swype keyboard, the keyboard is frozen....but it still works. Just the view of it is frozen. No tracer. No highlights. It's kinda weird. I don't use Swype much anyway, but still, that's the one issue I've found. Don't know if others have had the same issue.

EDIT: Swype working fine now. Don't know why it was buggy to start with.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So this is the first official Apex 2.0 or just the Beta?

It still says beta(on the apex download file) I assume it might be tweaked some more,depending on stuff . :).
So currently its beta. I am not using it currrently tho.

Then comes the RC or final rom

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
this Rom is wicked smooth and fast. love option to be able to add some blur back. that is so cool. wish more roms had this option. oh I did the turbotrick hit 3100 on it can we cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia