[ROM]CM10.1/PAC-rom jb 4.2.2 The JBC alpha build

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who is having trouble flashing, I've noticed something strange.

When I flash in the reccomended order, there's about a 50/50 chance for everything to go smoothly.

I have better luck in this order:

Wipe everything, twice, including SD ext
Flash ROM, (then VM fix for me)
Reboot, but don't install anything new. Change minimum CPU speed to 480.
Wipe caches, flash int2sd.
Reboot.
Flash crossbreeder.
Reboot a couple times until everything is smooth.
Then flash gapps (dont wipe)

I don't know why it works like this, but it does.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone who is having trouble flashing, I've noticed something strange.

When I flash in the reccomended order, there's about a 50/50 chance for everything to go smoothly.

I have better luck in this order:

Wipe everything, twice, including SD ext
Flash ROM, (then VM fix for me)
Reboot, but don't install anything new. Change minimum CPU speed to 480.
Wipe caches, flash int2sd.
Reboot.
Flash crossbreeder.
Reboot a couple times until everything is smooth.
Then flash gapps (dont wipe)

I don't know why it works like this, but it does.

Waiting4MyAndroid

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I just flashed the latest update of this rom. No issues flashing. How do I get it to work with sprint network?

Network=Unknown
Mobile network type=unknown:0
Service state=Out of service
My phone number=Unknown
MIN=Unknown
PRL version=Unknown
MEID=Unknown
Serial number=Unknown

You may want to try flashing Leslieann's Rhode Utility ROM, although it is built for the optimus V. You may still want to try it out or return to the Stock ROM - I had no issues on my end when trying it and your phone may have bugged out a little.

I got it fixed! I went back to stock recovery, wiped and flashed stock ZVD. Rooted (su,busybox,Xionia CWMA Recovery). Wiped everything and flashed A28 and Gapps. Rebooted and success. So far everything is working. Man this is just amazing! Thanks to all.

detlion1643

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I just flashed this rom and it's awesome, however mine feels sluggish. I wiped everything but the sdcard, flashed the rom, gapps, crossbreeder, and vm fix. Booted and rebooted about 5 times. Then flashed the sd script that was linked in this thread (512MB on a 2gb sd card from Clockwork Recovery), and crossbreeder again (since it felt sluggish the first time). After about another 5 reboots and only 1 app downloaded, it's still sluggish. I set my cpu to 480/806 savagezen(?). I also disabled all but 1 homescreen and the "pie" setting (my that pie setting felt annoying to me!).

I'm wondering if it's for some reason the trebuchet launcher? I have yet to install Nova launcher that I used on CAI to see if that clears it up. I also have yet to try mms and I don't use bluetooth. So far though, other than the slight sluggishness it's rock solid! I love all the icon designs (battery especially) and all the options that are included!

Edit: Forgot to ask, with the sd script running I have about 100 / 358 MB's of internal storage. However, even with that, I still have options to "Move to SD card" for apps. I thought that was automatic as well with the script? If it's not, will it cause any harm to move them?

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Pie controls are pointless on our phones because we have hard buttons.

I always used the holo launcher on this ROM and it worked well.

The script is automatic. Manually moving apps will, best case, slow them down, worst case, break them and make your system unstable.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums

svenjoypro

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
For anyone else with Mobile Data (3g) disconnect problems, I set up two Llama events.
1) Trigger: Mobile Data Connection (not connected) - Action: Mobile Data Off
2) Trigger: Mobile Data is Disabled - Action: Enable Mobile Data.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Odd things happened when I flashed A28 (CLEAN FLASH, at that): it seemed to be going smoothly at first. Late last night while in the process of restoring apps via Titanium Backup, my Optimus pulled the old "freeze up in sleep mode", a.k.a "blue screen of I don't wanna wake up". (Something that with BobZhome's CM10, only usually happened to me most of the time while I was playing music and the phone hit sleep mode)
Okay, fine. Battery pull, wipe cache, dalvik, flash Dalvik2Dev again, and reboot. Suddenly, everything kept force closing!! SO, I dirty flashed the ROM again, thinking that just maybe it would put a stop to that crap. It did, but...well...
1. Almost ALL the progress I'd made in putting back my apps via TB was wiped out, so I had to start putting them back. Again. Don't particularly understand this one.
2. Very few of the changes I made in Settings actually stayed there. No biggie, I didn't expect this anyway.
3. The script doesn't seem to be working...so just out of curiosity, does A2SD++ work with this ROM? If it does, I may just flash that...
4. Sleep Mode doesn't seem to work anymore. I press the power button to go into it (and that's supposed to lock the phone, right?), and any button press wakes it right back up; NO lock screen at all.
5. Quick Settings panel doesn't seem to work anymore. No idea WHAT this is about...this never happened before.
6. Oddest of all: Before I switched to this from the ROM I was previously using, I had a picture in place from my Gallery as my wallpaper. (Poison Ivy!!) But, after wiping everything and flashing this ROM & the corresponding GApps properly, when the home screen finally came up, the Poison Ivy pic I was using as wallpaper before WAS STILL THERE...and I'm pretty sure that this isn't supposed to happen AND I think that this may be part of the problem.

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok lets see if I can try to be helpful here...

Lingering stuff tends to mean either data, dalvik or cache didn't fully wipe - you need to use a special dalvik wipe zip for roms that use int2ext btw...

3) I don't think most JBC/PAC builds include an int2ext script? I think they were causing connectivity issues
you can check /system/etc/init.d/ - look for stuff like 40int2ext, 05mountsd, 40a2sd
(obijohn posted his better script on page 15/16ish - they're made for JBC/PAC, to use them with other roms you might want to fine tune them a bit btw)

The rest all sounds pretty unusual, or at least beyond of my understanding - things that not wiping properly can sometimes cause, but beyond that... odd?

but here's a shot in the dark... this stuff kinda reminds me of the variety of odd symptoms that begin to occur when a harddrive is in its end-of-life phase..

Is it possible that your SD card has begun to fail?
(or your mmc... yuck? but I'd suspect the sd card? since CM10 setups for this phone tend to store most of their data on sd-ext)

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok lets see if I can try to be helpful here...

Lingering stuff tends to mean either data, dalvik or cache didn't fully wipe - you need to use a special dalvik wipe zip for roms that use int2ext btw...

I posted above about my not-great experience with PAC and int2ext+. I decided to give up on it and change to the MiRaGe 7.2 ROM. I used a different SD card from the one I was using with PAC, got it all installed and set up and my apps re-installed with Titanium and Link2SD, and it seemed to be working perfectly. After about a day, I plugged the charger in and the phone popped up a message saying that I had removed the SD card, when I hadn't. After that, the ROM seemed to be all screwed up, with a bunch of the apps showing as no longer installed. I thought that possibly there was an issue with that SD card (which I had used previously, and was good as far as I know), so I then went back to the first SD card and did a fresh install of PAC. I've had all kinds of weird problems with it, including some that sound like what Shinkenred is talking about in the post above -- apps installing, then showing as uninstalled, wallpapers appearing and disappearing, the initial Google phone set-up routine running repeatedly, more error messages saying that the SD card had been removed, etc.

I had about concluded that either the phone's internal memory had been damaged, or the SD reader was no longer fully functional, but now I am wondering about this issue of the Dalvik. I did NOT use the special Dalvik wipe zip at any point in this process. Should I have had to, to revert from PAC with int2ext+ to a Gingerbread ROM? Would the failure to flash the special wipe zip be expected to cause problems that would manifest themselves instantly, or could they somehow be latent until I tried to charge the phone after the first 24 hours of use? I guess I could just start all over again, and flash the wipe zip this time, but I'm reluctant to spend yet more time on this old phone (if I wasn't grandfathered in on the $25/mo plan, I would have already replaced it).

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, wiping dalvik via recovery instead of using the wipe zip should cause an immediate bootloop - so that shouldn't be the cause of lingering issues...

And a full wipe (factory reset and pre-flash wipe, or wiping data/system/cache/sd-ext) shouldn't leave any traces
but it's not uncommon to see people rave about "wipe x3" or similar (instead of just once), and while this really *shouldn't* be a problem...

My best guess as to why is that flash memory can be a bit fickle, garbage collection, bad block detection, wear leveling, etc...

I've read of instances of SD card unmounting issues (most of what you're describing with app names missing, wallpaper gone, maybe google setup? with int2ext scripts that happens at least I think) being linked to incompatible SD cards:
- SDXC cards can do this when used in some SDHC readers (like our optimus)
- poor quality cards sometimes unmount randomly
- updated kernels might help this? - early revisions of the stock optimus firmware had tons of problems with sd card unmounting
- cards that are dieing will likely exacerbate this problem

If problems like this persist on a clean flash without an SD card or at least int2ext/a2sd script in use... then the mmc might be experiencing end-of-life issues?
(you can only write each bit of nand flash a few million times - usually wear leveling and error correction makes this transparent, but when error rates rise above a certain rate... weirdness ensues)

Maybe I've got it all wrong though... linux may be familiar ground for me, but androids are not...
(and there should be tools to test for mmc end-of-life issues? getting error rates from block devices shouldn't be that difficult but I don't know exactly how off the top of my head...)

Last edited:

watsdaa

Banned
May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey all - I figured out how to properly fix MMS for VM670.

After applying the virgin mobile fix, change the build.prop so that anything that says: Virgin_Mobile to Virgin Mobile US:

eg:
mount -o remount,rw /system
sed -i 's/Virgin_Mobile/Virgin Mobile US/g' /system/build.prop
rm /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
rm /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal
mount -o remount,ro /system

Now reboot.

Order:

format all of the usual stuff
PAC_JB_4.2.2-v22.0.1_20130414-042136
hk-ICS-CAI-test40-kernel
rewipe dalvik
YourZgappsXS-4.2.2-2013.05.15
CrossBreeder_5.21.13
virgin_fix_pac-rom-3-30
Boot.
Apply fix from above
Reboot.

At this point the only thing that doesnt work is builtin Bluetooth and builtin Wifi Tethering. Also, speakerphone volume doesnt seem to get loud enough.

Last edited:

Chris Clawson

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I need help with a couple of things:

I've tried CronMod INT2EXT+ and INT2EXTV2+ with PAC-rom, and they both break my Virgin 3G. I'm trying Link2SD instead. However, I noticed that the dalvik cache has been moved to /data while the /cache partition is empty. Can I move the dalvik cache back to /cache somehow? Otherwise I'm going to have very little room in /data. :'(

Thanks for keeping this little phone alive! :cool:

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I need help with a couple of things:

I've tried CronMod INT2EXT+ and INT2EXTV2+ with PAC-rom, and they both break my Virgin 3G. I'm trying Link2SD instead. However, I noticed that the dalvik cache has been moved to /data while the /cache partition is empty. Can I move the dalvik cache back to /cache somehow? Otherwise I'm going to have very little room in /data. :'(

Thanks for keeping this little phone alive! :cool:

You need to use either cronmod's scripts that have been "fixed" for android 4.2.x, or obijohn's scripts which were posted a little ways back in this thread.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, wiping dalvik via recovery instead of using the wipe zip should cause an immediate bootloop - so that shouldn't be the cause of lingering issues...

And a full wipe (factory reset and pre-flash wipe, or wiping data/system/cache/sd-ext) shouldn't leave any traces
but it's not uncommon to see people rave about "wipe x3" or similar (instead of just once), and while this really *shouldn't* be a problem...

My best guess as to why is that flash memory can be a bit fickle, garbage collection, bad block detection, wear leveling, etc...

Thanks for the response. I gave it one more shot. Ran the wipe routines in recovery several times, including the Dalvik zip one this time, and flashed the Mirage ROM. To my surprise, it has worked for several days and several charge cycles. I don't know if there was some residual bit of corrupted something or other from the initial installation of PAC that finally got purged, or if there is some kind of intermittent electrical or mechanical issue with the phone which, for the time being, is not acting up, but for now, it's working. I guess I should stop screwing around with different ROMs, and make a concerted effort not to drop the phone anymore.

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read much about anything like this... but if I were to take a stab in the dark here - what format is your sd-ext partition?

Because while I've commented about possible flash memory failure... really yaffs is designed for embedded systems... it's built specifically to handle most of the incredibly harsh edge cases that these systems might experience... so while it's certainly possible that the flash memory in the phone is failing... I'm not sure I would say it's very likely.

So, time for a slightly different idea perhaps?

I've noticed that many guides tend to recommend using ext2 or ext3 for an sd-ext partition - which probably doesn't cause too many problems most of the time... but might here.

Now, I feel like I should preface things by saying that embedded systems are definitely not my specialty, but I do have at least a basic understanding of linux,

I noticed this when tinkering around with a variety of roms for this phone - some of them don't include ext3 support, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it's been entirely replaced in functionality by ext4... but most of the time autodetection of mount types fails under this condition (this isn't specific to android, but iirc happens to most 2.6.x era kernels without patches for the issue).

ext4 is entirely backwards compatible with ext2 and ext3 - ext2 and ext3 can be mounted as ext4 (with potential performance gains, especially for ext3)
ext3 is partially forwards compatible with ext4 - ext4 can be mounted as ext3 if it doesn't contain
It will choose to mount an ext3 partition as ext2 instead of ext4 - this disables journaling - which is probably not the correct choice.

I've seen the case made that ext2 without journaling is faster than ext3 or ext4 - and this might indeed be true - but it also means it isn't nearly as robust, interruptions can cause wide scale corruption, which on a flash device can mean losing whole pages of information, not good... now you can run an e2fsck on boot to look for this condition, and it should be able to clean up after such an event, but journaling in ext3 or ext4 would detect and clean up after such events automatically. Probably a better choice for a phone?

BUT... things get tricky here, because while ext4 is better when fully supported... I noticed that the kernel versions we're dealing with are concurrent with the implementation of ext4 in linux - which is problematic because kernels before version 2.6.30 (if they aren't patched... I haven't been over the commit logs for these kernels) can experience data loss during a power failure when using ext4 mounts (UHT OHH! same problem as ext2 ;angry;)

So even solutions I can think of to this would depend on which kernel version you're using - running e2fsck on boot would probably be a good start if you're using ext2 partitions (or ext4 partitions with only partial kernel support)... but yeah, it's something to think about at least.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
^ The format of the sd-ext on the 8GB SD card that I'm using with Mirage is whatever the default choice is when you set up Link2SD; I'm pretty sure it's ext2. I can't remember what I did on the bigger card that I used with Quattrimus, the Bobzhome JB and ICS ROMs, and finally with PAC.
The kernel is whatever the Mirage developer has in the current version of the ROM.

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Those patches do some extra funny stuff (which wouldn't play nice with this rom... or most roms)

Open them up, and strip out everything but the 3 .so files in /system/lib/ before flashing if you want to avoid strangeness.

(off the top of my head, it includes at least another a2sd script and a keylayout change... which you probably don't want when using this as a patch to get data working on ZVD based roms ;))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere