S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I've never used the charger in the box, haven't used the GPS yet, my edge had never gotten warm, much less hot. Screen rotation worked yesterday. Last night i noticed the rotation getting "stuck" while reading a book in Google play. It would want to landscape all by itself when i was holding it in portrait mode. Had to exit app to fix it. This morning, no rotation. To return or not, that is the question. ... sigh
( I remembered I did actually use that damn charger in the box - my mothers anyway as mine was still in my box) I used it to test the battery life after a full overnight charge with a plugged in charger as opposed to the plate wireless one. I only used it once for about 4 hours though. that was enough to damage it apparently)
Samsung should NOT bundle a charger not meant for overnight charging knowing most people charge the phone overnight to have it 100% in the morning.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
The past two days have been hell my friend, lol. After I FINALLY fix the battery drain issue... the screen stops rotating! Ugh... I'm sorry but for many many things i need rotation.

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys, I just got back from Best Buy and got an exchange. I explained everything and the guy helping me told me that our theory of the fast charger could very well be the culprit. He told me that you are not ever supposed to use any rapid charger overnight. It could overheat the phone to the point of damage. Apparently this is explained in the paperwork we never read included in the box. Anyhoo, in the future he said to use the rapid charger as just that, a rapid charger and not to leave it on there for hours at a time. Makes sense to me but honestly I'll just use my wireless charger as I have been. I only used that rapid charger once for about 4 hours overnight on Saturday night and my screen rotation issue started the next day. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm not taking any chances. Here's the bonus too, he started loading the phone into the system from the outside of the box and registered it with Sprint.... then he opened the box and realized he pulled the wrong color! He accidently pulled a GOLD one.... he was about to start over when I asked what was wrong and he said he grabbed a gold one by mistake. I told him I originally wanted gold but they didn't offer it on pre-order and could I keep it... Yup, I got to keep the gold one.... I am beyond thrilled. It's so shiny!! Hahaha
So, screen rotation fixed.... did a recovery cache and a factory reset after downloading the update for better battery life. All should be golden, time will tell...

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Denisew. Thanks for telling us your experience at BB about the rapid charging/screen rotation issue. Glad you ended up with the gold version, so lucky! Many folks are still waiting for theirs.

joeyz148

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I just went through all the paperwork in the box nobody reads and saw nothing about the charger overnight. I been purposely leaving my phone on the charger overnight trying to create this problem and nothing happens. The phone barely gets warm let alone anything close to hot.

cruisencode

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I just went through all the paperwork in the box nobody reads and saw nothing about the charger overnight. I been purposely leaving my phone on the charger overnight trying to create this problem and nothing happens. The phone barely gets warm let alone anything close to hot.

I was going to post the same thing. I didn't see anything about not charging it overnight. I also left mine on the charger all night last night. The phone is still working fine. Let's hope it stays that way. :)

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I never felt my phone get warm, let alone hot either but I did have it in a case at all times... maybe that masked the heat it got.... who knows. Best Buy knows we don't go reading that paperwork, he probably didn't think anyone would actually go look for it, lol.

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Yea, I never felt my phone get warm, let alone hot either but I did have it in a case at all times... maybe that masked the heat it got.... who knows. Best Buy knows we don't go reading that paperwork, he probably didn't think anyone would actually go look for it, lol.

I really doubt that it is because of charging.

I did not use rapid charge, or wireless charge, at all. Nor did I upgrade any of the software it came with.

Screen rotation didn't work out of the box.

Still waiting for my carrier to send me the damn courier satchel to swap it.

Is anyone aware of Samsung responding to anyone about this issue officially?

nikitathedog

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Well mine is a week old. Rotation works FOR NOW. I have used the quick charger at night and left it on as well as used it maybe once during the day and left it on extended time over the 100%. I have also used the GPS with out an issue and that does get a little warm. Probably warmer than the charger.

No issue. I also read the manual before I even got the phone and all paper work in our box and it never mentioned not to leave it on for long periods of time.

Also on over heating, if that is totally the case wouldn't you this k it would be far worse with people using cases? The phone wouldn't dissipate the heat as well? I'm still out on the quick charger until I get some real confirmation.

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
just saw that article myself... of course Samsung directs people to their horrible customer service... good luck to everyone who has been dealing with this!

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
"hard key re-set" of the phone, which basically wipes all personal data and contacts and initiates a factory reset upon a reboot of the phone.

Is this the same thing as powering on holding Volume up, home and power button at the same time and then picking factory data reset? Or is this something different? I knew of 2 ways to factory reset, but never new how to hard key re-set the device. Would this be better than powering down, and use the 3 key method to get into recovery? And how is it done?

joeyz148

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
There is 3rd party software and apps that come bundled with these phones new, that's carrier specific, maybe that's what they mean. Its funny they said T-Mobile had no issues. I know T-Mobile pushed an update as soon as you booted the phone up out of the box.

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
There is 3rd party software and apps that come bundled with these phones new, that's carrier specific, maybe that's what they mean. Its funny they said T-Mobile had no issues. I know T-Mobile pushed an update as soon as you booted the phone up out of the box.

I thought there was a t mobile person on this thread who said they had the issue

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
So is their Gallery app third party? That's when i first noticed it wasn't working and ironically the third party apps (games that rotate to landscape) DID rotate. YouTube, Facebook, gallery, camera, Google (Internet)... basically everything that Samsung preloaded on the phone didn't work. ..I call bs! And I never used any third party launcher either, I'm one of the few who doesn't mind Touchwiz.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Got my edge last week and it finally started happening. I use nova and I tried uninstalling it and no go. Called Vzw and got a new one on the way. I will not be using the quick charge because as soon as I started using it is when the issue started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo