Strange Power On/Off Issues + Won't Charge + How To Save Info In ''Memo'' ??!!

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
hi,

recently when i turn off my Galaxy S5 - it will power off but then power back on by itself right away.......also it won't charge the battery and won't be recognized by my PC.........i took out the battery for a day then put it back in and it worked fine for about a week......but today, the same problem happened again.........could this be a battery issue ?o_O

lastly, how do i get the messages in ''Memo'' off the phone (doesn't appear in ''My Files'') ?.......... possible to transfer them somewhere ?.........my PC not recognizing the phone too.......:cry:

many thanks in advance !

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The S5 is a 9 year old phone, so it would not be surprising if the battery and/or motherboard were failing, or if the firmware was corrupt or no longer supporting modern apps. Is this actually still your daily driver? If so, I would strongly recommend making sure all of your important data is backed up or synced somewhere safe, and then upgrading to a more modern phone.

The old Memo app most likely doesn't sync anywhere, and the data files are typically not accessible to the user. Check the Memo app's menu to see if there's an Export option.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
The S5 is a 9 year old phone, so it would not be surprising if the battery and/or motherboard were failing, or if the firmware was corrupt or no longer supporting modern apps. Is this actually still your daily driver? If so, I would strongly recommend making sure all of your important data is backed up or synced somewhere safe, and then upgrading to a more modern phone.

The old Memo app most likely doesn't sync anywhere, and the data files are typically not accessible to the user. Check the Memo app's menu to see if there's an Export option.

many thanks for the reply............i always use my phones till they break............i hate to change phones since migrating data is always so difficult for me..........i always lose all the messages in Memo with every phone i used - i had to write them down and then input to the new phone again............

i can't even turn off the home screen now - i turn it off and then it comes back on...........i can charge the battery on and off though...........

if i can can export the Memo - i export it to the SD card, right ?

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
Even if you find a replacement battery take into consideration it's age and decoration.

yes, you're right...........i regret not buying a spare battery much earlier............i did managed to find sellers selling supposedly new Galaxy S5 batteries for a couple bucks each so maybe i'll give it a try.......

the home screen of the phone won't stay turned off as it will turn back on by itself............i think it's the OS or firmware problem ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
yes, you're right...........i regret not buying a spare battery much earlier............i did managed to find sellers selling supposedly new Galaxy S5 batteries for a couple bucks each so maybe i'll give it a try.......

the home screen of the phone won't stay turned off as it will turn back on by itself............i think it's the OS or firmware problem ?
You could try safe mode if it still a issue or factory reset

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
many thanks for the reply............i always use my phones till they break............i hate to change phones since migrating data is always so difficult for me..........i always lose all the messages in Memo with every phone i used - i had to write them down and then input to the new phone again............

i can't even turn off the home screen now - i turn it off and then it comes back on...........i can charge the battery on and off though...........

if i can can export the Memo - i export it to the SD card, right ?
If there is an Export option, I would guess that there's an option to do it to the SDs card.

To avoid the hassle of losing memos due to incompatibility with future phones, I strongly recommend using a cloud-based note-taking app like Google Keep, OneNote, Evernote, or something similar.

Reactions: Laura Knotek