The HTC One (M8) priced at 579.99 in UK has Snapdragon 800 processor

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: The HTC One M8 priced at 579.99 in UK has Snapdragon 800 processor

You said everything, which is way I had to call your bs out. It is most definitely NOT down every part the hardware. If it really is an 800 then it is down only on the version of the CPU, which is only slightly worse than an 801 (which is totally irrelevant if your software is laggy). The gpu is predicted to be the same as the S5, on-board memory predicted to be more, the screen will likely be better just like the One was to the S4 (as far as PPI and outside visibility is concerned), the camera is a totally new module to come out on phones (not sure if it is better yet, but you can't say it is worse either).

You just need to be careful of the way you say things. Using heavy words like "everything" will of course warrant responses like mine.

PPIs in the 440 range I'm not sure it even worth mentioning that as a spec at this point. You can have the worst PenTile display and it will still be basically unnoticeable by anyone with normal vision at those PPI levels. Outdoor Visibility, yes the One was better. Samsung's Panel on the S5 is an improvement from the S4. The Note 3's panel was an improvement from the S4, even.

Samsung's Camera is also massively improved, and the GS4/Note 3 camera was superior to the One in almost every ways except bringing in light. Even in low light, you could usually get more detail out of a GS4/Note 3 or iPhone 5S picture than the One if you use Night Mode or used a decent editing app to adjust the lighting. The M8's cameras are still 5MP, which means it will retain some key disadvantages it has compared to higher MP cameras (like being borderline useless for shooting far-off targets and cropping - that much can be said).

Like I said before, the 801 is not "slightly better" than the 800 in some areas. It's clearly, demonstrably better in some areas.
Actually other than clock speed and the support for a new type of memory, there is no differences.

Posted from my Nexus 5

Why are people making definitive statements about things they clearly know nothing about.

The CPU cores and GPU cores are more efficient (better performance at same clock speed of an S800).
The ISP got a 45% boost in performance.
Yes, it supports bigger SD Cards and Faster Storage Types.

Probably got some improvements in power management as well.

To the people talking about the Sony Z2. Sony has always been pretty bad for battery life in my experience. The Video Playing times Sony Stated for the Z2 are average at best, and well below what the G2, Note 3, and phones like the iPhone 5S are capable of. That phone has the same battery Size as the Note, yet that is all they can rate it at (6 hours of HD Video Playback), seriously? I don't like to depend on performance/UX killing power saving modes to get decent Screen On Time.

Also, I find Sony's camera performance to be rather... sporatic, though I do think they are quite bold and innovative with some of their camera software improvements (first OEM to introduce "Intelligent Auto" in a smartphone Camera Software, IIRC, though it killed batteries :p ). They make great sensors, yet they never seem to put them to use as well as the other OEMs they sell them to. That has always struck me as ironic. I don't like Sony's UI Overlay or design language, either. I tend to use my phones "out of the box/stock" and don't MOD/Root/whatever them, so that is a big factor for me.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

What do you think of the Z1s vs the HTC One?

We just got the Z1s this morning and I have to say it's a super nice phone, it's probably the best looking smartphone available in my opinion going on my tastes, screen is nice also and the Sony skin isn't very heavy at all, cannot pass judgment on battery life yet but it's certainly a looker

Posted via Android Central App

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

PPIs in the 440 range I'm not sure it even worth mentioning that as a spec at this point. You can have the worst PenTile display and it will still be basically unnoticeable by anyone with normal vision at those PPI levels. Outdoor Visibility, yes the One was better. Samsung's Panel on the S5 is an improvement from the S4. The Note 3's panel was an improvement from the S4, even.

Samsung's Camera is also massively improved, and the GS4/Note 3 camera was superior to the One in almost every ways except bringing in light. Even in low light, you could usually get more detail out of a GS4/Note 3 or iPhone 5S picture than the One if you use Night Mode or used a decent editing app to adjust the lighting. The M8's cameras are still 5MP, which means it will retain some key disadvantages it has compared to higher MP cameras (like being borderline useless for shooting far-off targets and cropping - that much can be said).

Like I said before, the 801 is not "slightly better" than the 800 in some areas. It's clearly, demonstrably better in some areas.

Why are people making definitive statements about things they clearly know nothing about.

The CPU cores and GPU cores are more efficient (better performance at same clock speed of an S800).

To the people talking about the Sony Z2. Sony has always been pretty bad for battery life in my experience. The Video Playing times Sony Stated for the Z2 are average at best, and well below what the G2, Note 3, and phones like the iPhone 5S are capable of. That phone has the same battery Size as the Note, yet that is all they can rate it at (6 hours of HD Video Playback), seriously? I don't like to depend on performance/UX killing power saving modes to get decent Screen On Time.

Also, I find Sony's camera performance to be rather... sporatic, though I do think they are quite bold and innovative with some of their camera software improvements (first OEM to introduce "Intelligent Auto" in a smartphone Camera Software, IIRC, though it killed batteries :p ). They make great sensors, yet they never seem to put them to use as well as the other OEMs they sell them to. That has always struck me as ironic. I don't like Sony's UI Overlay or design language, either. I tend to use my phones "out of the box/stock" and don't MOD/Root/whatever them, so that is a big factor for me.

I'm sorry that I posted that they have hardly any differences, as that is what I understood from reading the release. The whole thing I was trying to point out, is that we don't know if it will have a S800 or 801. A website with a @evleaks render as the product image isn't especially assuring to me. I still believe that it will have a S801; however, If it has a 800, it will still be one heck of a phone, and there shouldn't be any everyday performance lack because of that.

Posted from my Nexus 5

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry that I posted that they have hardly any differences, as that is what I understood from reading the release. The whole thing I was trying to point out, is that we don't know if it will have a S800 or 801. A website with a @evleaks render as the product image isn't especially assuring to me. I still believe that it will have a S801; however, If it has a 800, it will still be one heck of a phone, and there shouldn't be any everyday performance lack because of that.

Posted from my Nexus 5

The 800 is fine. I will not ditch my Note simply because the S5 has an upgraded SoC and I'm more than content with the camera speed and quality on this phone. I just don't think people should justify the alleged under special of that component relative to Samsung's new handset by claiming the differences are minimal, cause that not true.

Whether the 800 is good enough depends on your motivation for buying the phone, IMO.

HTC does use custom ISPs in their devices (ImageChip) so they may not *need* an upgraded SoC that boosts the phone imaging more than everything else.

I still think they should have gone back to an f2.2 upgraded 8MP camera though. Their phones are beautiful and well built but a hardware component like that is not something a lot of people can work around. HTC justifies it by saying most people look at photos on social networks and the phone screen, which may be true. But it turns a blind eye to those that use the camera on their phones in other ways.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

We just got the Z1s this morning and I have to say it's a super nice phone, it's probably the best looking smartphone available in my opinion going on my tastes, screen is nice also and the Sony skin isn't very heavy at all, cannot pass judgment on battery life yet but it's certainly a looker

Don't think that phone is on Verizon. Sony needs to get their flagship on more carriers. The phone may be amazing but I didn't have access to it because my carrier doesn't carry it. Same issue as Nokia.

Don't think I can go back to a smaller screen now though. Friends S4 went from looking big to almost feeling like an iPhone cause I'm used to the bigger screen. And the Stylus is baller when doing video analysis in Coach's Eye.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Posted from my Nexus 5

But thats not what you was saying to me, you was trying to make a point of the 800 being no different to the 801, like you was trying to prove some point, and i couldnt get my head around it, you did the same post twice pretty much telling me how the 801 was the same... to quote "Actually other than clock speed and the support for a new type of memory, there is no differences."

This is why i dont understand all the butthurt in this thread, nobody said the 800 was no good, my phone has the 800 in now, but people seem to be adamant to shoot me down for posting what a retailer from the uk listed for the specs, and the fact that its not One up on the other device, which i still stand by. You may like sense, that doesnt mean everyone else has to or thinks its great

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Don't think that phone is on Verizon. Sony needs to get their flagship on more carriers. The phone may be amazing but I didn't have access to it because my carrier doesn't carry it. Same issue as Nokia.

Don't think I can go back to a smaller screen now though. Friends S4 went from looking big to almost feeling like an iPhone cause I'm used to the bigger screen. And the Stylus is baller when doing video analysis in Coach's Eye.

Yeah the Z1s is a TMobile exclusive, Sony do need to get on all carries i agree. They have a bigger presence in Europe than they do in the States. Like you though i like the big screen now i own a Note 3, its just the perfect middle ground, i no longer need a 7-8 inch tablet, i now have my Note 3 and a 10.1 Tab Pro, and quite happy at that, though i do like the body on the M8

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Snapdragon 800 is still a very capable CPU, the 801 doesn't offer much over it since the new memory isn't available anyway I think one thing people should understand is they can't literally have everything. HTC may have decided to use the S800 to save some money, and focus on the build quality they're known for bringing. Sure the Galaxy S5 has a better CPU, but when most consumers, and developers didn't even make use of the full power of the S800 than there is simply no need to use a more powerful and more expensive chip.
Personally even if these specs are true (They still aren't confirmed) I think they sound great. I especially like how HTC added an SD Card slot, and yet is still offering 32GB Storage, which is compared to Samsung's 16GB that is already halved by their bloatware.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Were the leaked benchmarks in the S801 calibre? I can't remember, but it could give us a somewhat general idea of what's under the hood...

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

800, 801. I dare say they'll both be good. Look how well HTC did with the 600.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Snapdragon 800 is still a very capable CPU, the 801 doesn't offer much over it since the new memory isn't available anyway I think one thing people should understand is they can't literally have everything. HTC may have decided to use the S800 to save some money, and focus on the build quality they're known for bringing. Sure the Galaxy S5 has a better CPU, but when most consumers, and developers didn't even make use of the full power of the S800 than there is simply no need to use a more powerful and more expensive chip.
Personally even if these specs are true (They still aren't confirmed) I think they sound great. I especially like how HTC added an SD Card slot, and yet is still offering 32GB Storage, which is compared to Samsung's 16GB that is already halved by their bloatware.

Hardly halved by bloatware in the 5, and a 32 gig variant will be available.
And an SoC is more than a cpu and gpu. This has been stated several times in this thread.

You can have all that on the other announced devices apparently, or at least more. That's what some people's beef is.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Hardly halved by bloatware in the 5, and a 32 gig variant will be available.
And an SoC is more than a cpu and gpu. This has been stated several times in this thread.

You can have all that on the other announced devices apparently, or at least more. That's what some people's beef is.

According to an article I read nearly 8GB of storage is used up by their bloated OS and apps.
What other announced device has top of the line specs and amazing build quality? The only thing I can think of that Might qualify is the Xperia Z2, but I can't exactly say if an all glass phone is defined as amazing.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

According to an article I read nearly 8GB of storage is used up by their bloated OS and apps.
What other announced device has top of the line specs and amazing build quality? The only thing I can think of that Might qualify is the Xperia Z2, but I can't exactly say if an all glass phone is defined as amazing.

Article forgot to account for all the demo software on the unit.

Useless article 😬

5MP cameras and a S800 isn't top of the line, I'd say.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

^^^^ Why are you talking about this device like it's already been announced and we know the specs that have leaked are legit?

I'm not sure anybody even knew the S801 existed before the S5 was announced. If they did, nobody was talking. Everybody just expected the S805 or S800.

The product brief for the 801 was published on Feb 21st of this year on Qualcomm's site. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

The product brief for the 801 was published on Feb 21st of this year on Qualcomm's site. Just saying.

Multiple oems are using the SoC so i think it's safe to say they knew about it way ahead of some brief being published for consumers to eyeball, an they usually do.

Just saying.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Multiple oems are using the SoC so i think it's safe to say they knew about it way ahead of some brief being published for consumers to eyeball, an they usually do.

Just saying.

That's exactly my point, yet you're taking this leak like it's 100% accurate.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

S5 comes with 10.5 gigs of storage..which is around the average I guess

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

I think those would be the people who may already have one in hand. You know, like the people who will post 5 articles within minutes of the announcement event concluding, because they've had a review unit for weeks and have their articles written and ready to publish. Like people from certain reputable websites and tech blogs. You know those folks, right? Like the ones who knew 4.4 was going to be KitKat and not Key Lime Pie. You know those people, Jerry. You know you do. And I know that you know that I know who you think I am referring to.

If there was only a way for one of those esteemed individuals to give us a teenie tiny bit of information. Just a little morsel. Alas, I don't think there is a place where that could happen. I can't think of a place on the internet, let alone this site, where people can post things about various topics and engage in conversation. Like a forum or something. That would be sweet. You guys should think about adding that to your site.

I'll be honest. Right now, I don't know much more than you do. A few things I can't share (naturally), but one thing (I think a very telling and important thing) that I can:

The folks behind the M8 are excited. More excited than they have been with any other phone they have released.

I don't think it's specs or any one thing that has them excited, I get the feeling that it's the overall package, and the M8 has come together in a way that makes the serious phone nerds involved super-anxious to share it with the world. That's not to say these guys weren't excited with the M7, or even the mini and mega, but this feels different.

2014 is going to be a very tough year for smartphone junkies. I think to decide between the S5, the M8, the Xperia S2 and whatever Google and Motorola come with later in the year is going to be damn near impossible. I also expect something amazeballs from LG late in the year that will blow them all away. These companies have always had the tech at their disposal, and now they've been building Android phones long enough to know how to make them great, and how to deliver a package that is better than it's parts.

As for the M8 itself, know that a lot of the rumors are just rumors, and the ones that are close to the truth aren't going to get the coverage from folks that aren't allowed to talk about things. This will get worse in the next few weeks as we ramp up to the unveiling.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I know one thing, on looks alone the M8 is certainly one of the best looking phones I've seen, the body looks sharp

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

A few things I can't share (naturally), but one thing (I think a very telling and important thing) that I can:

The folks behind the M8 are excited. More excited than they have been with any other phone they have released...

I also expect something amazeballs from LG late in the year that will blow them all away....

Two things: thanks for the honesty. I expect this to be similar to every major launch - Phil and Alex, et al, covering the event and then BAM! Jerry posts all of the details within seconds. Secondly, I'm adding "amazeballs" to my custom dictionary.

Last edited: