Verizon Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Verizon Employee on Reddit Claims You Can Exchange Note7's With Physical Damage

Verizon Employee on Reddit Claims You Can Exchange Note7's With Physical Damage

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/50tjg2/samsung_note7_recall_thread/d78doa3

So aside from everything else that's been mentioned through discussion and websites, there's one part from the InfoCenter topic that caught my attention:

•All Galaxy Note7 devices qualify for the offer, even if the device is damaged.

This is from the "promo" OST 203383 for indirects where customers that return the defective Note 7 receives $25 BIC, but that particular clause makes me wonder if you can still return your Note 7 if you crack your screen or back of the phone. So it sounds like the recall timeframe trumps your accident occurance in respect to exchanging your phone out.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I returned mine today. Just didn't want to commit to it so going to hold off for a few weeks to see what the iPhone 7, LG V20, Pixel and Pixel XL will have in store. I haven't closed the door on getting the note again but will wait.
Yeah honestly as much as I love the device, circumstances around this recall are turning it into a bad fiscal decision.

I will be returning mine next week. I'm just going to see how things play out.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah honestly as much as I love the device, circumstances around this recall are turning it into a bad fiscal decision.

I will be returning mine next week. I'm just going to see how things play out.

Yeah I honestly think it's a great device. But the circumstances will make it a pain in the butt when trying to get rid of it.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I think resale value will definitely be hurt. Will be very skeptical buyers and not willing to pay as much. Best thing to do in my opinion is to not pay full retail for this device and do an installment agreement that will let you upgrade at 1 year or when 50% has been paid. The carrier has to take the device back on trade in and you can get you something new and not lose money. I'm not sure this is the device you want to commit to for longer than a year. Not because it's a bad device, because it's not. But because of the circumstances that may make it a poor money decision.

^THIS^

If I do end up exchanging for another n7, it will only be because I know I can trade it in a year for something new.

If I was locked into a 2yr contract, or had to pay full price up front, I'd be looking for something else....

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Anyone considering getting a refund? Will prices fall after the recall?

I returned mine today. Just didn't want to commit to it so going to hold off for a few weeks to see what the iPhone 7, LG V20, Pixel and Pixel XL will have in store. I haven't closed the door on getting the note again but will wait.
I returned mine too. But I will get a Note7 again, I will just wait for another promo.

My Gear Fit 2 is on the way so I consider that compensation enough for this inconvenience. Then at a later date I will upgrade to the Note7. I am sure after all of this bad publicity there will be discounts on the phone especially around the holidays.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Folks.. I feel like I have to post this about once every 2 hours, but if you are looking for a Note for Note swap, please just WAIT. Don't go into a Verizon store today or tomorrow. Don't call Verizon today or tomorrow asking about a Note for Note swap.

It takes a long time for all the channels to get correct info about things they are familiar with sometimes, never mind things that are brand new. At this early stage, you are very likely to get incomplete, conflicting, or incorrect info - from Verizon and Samsung too. Just wait until new Note 7's are in stock to ask, or at least wait a week or just a few days for info to disseminate from the top down in Verizon and Samsung.

Every single one of these "I called Verizon and they said <x>" posts needs to be taken with a grain of salt for now folks. It's not their fault. It takes time, and this is a first: an unprecedented event in smartphones for the most part. I know it's hard, but just enjoy your phone and just W A I T :).
Very well said, Verizon our any carrier does not have the replacement phones yet. Chill and enjoy your holiday weekend

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
VERIZON - If you want to return your Note7 and need a spare phone but don't have one

If you are on Verizon and want to return your Note7 but don't have a backup phone

If you go to Best Buy, they have a Verizon prepaid HTC Desire 526 for $36, with tax it would come to about $38 where I live. If you activate it through the phone using your credit card to activate it on the $30/mo WiFi only plan, with taxes that comes to about $32 where I live, the phone will be unlocked for postpaid use. Total comes to about $70. You can use the device temporarily on your postpaid line until you are ready to commit to a new device. Then when you are done with it, you can sell it as postpaid unlocked.

I would just keep it as a backup though because when I go to the beach or am otherwise around water, I just pop my postpaid SIM into one of my cheap 4G LTE backup phones and use that. Then I don't have to worry about a $900 phone falling in the water. So it could come in handy. Or if your phone gets lost/stolen, at least you have something you can use until you can get a new phone.

If you are going to do this, you need to activate the HTC Desire 526 by going through the activation for a new prepaid line through the phone using a credit card. Don't do it online. And then once the phone is activated on prepaid, make a test call/text or two, then call prepaid customer service by dialing 611 or do an online chat with them after registering for online access and get them to close the prepaid line. After that you can put your postpaid SIM in the device.

You probably don't need to release the phone from prepaid and can likely just pop your postpaid SIM in the phone without closing the prepaid line, but I always get the phones released from prepaid to avoid any issues.

Also you can check before you activate the phone on the Verizon trade in site that it is locked to prepaid by getting an appraisal here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com/device-recycle/?custType=1&token=fowocBkF

You should get an error message saying the phone is ineligible for trade in since it has not yet been activated on prepaid. Then after you activate it on the prepaid WiFi only plan, you can check that the device is unlocked for postpaid use by doing the appraisal again and you won't get the error message and can appraise the device for trade in.

If you don't pay for at least the $30 WiFi only plan, if you put your postpaid SIM in the device it will hotline you postpaid line. Be sure and do the prepaid activation from the phone itself using a credit card.

Walmart also has the LG Zone 3 for $30 if you have a Walmart close by you. The phones have similar specs but the HTC Desire 526 is worth the extra $6 IMO.

LG Optimus Zone 3 vs HTC Desire 526 - Phone specs comparison

Last edited:

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
The ATT bulletin from samsung says condition of the phone doesn't matter. Samsung wants these phones off the street at all costs,.A kept operating phone with slightly cracked screen could come back to haunt them.

Same with Verizon, I posted a link to a reddit post with the InfoManager OST on it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Customer care Verizon told me the stores will receive the replacement devices and they will also keep the recall devices to send back. Told me as well store manager discretion if they want to replace our purchased screen protector without charging again.

Posted via the Android Central App

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Customer care Verizon told me the stores will receive the replacement devices and they will also keep the recall devices to send back. Told me as well store manager discretion if they want to replace our purchased screen protector without charging again.

Posted via the Android Central App

Any indications when they will receive them? Does this apply to online buyers as well?

anon(20073)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I per-ordered my phone and got it on the 19th at my house, today I went to a corporate store today to ask about the recall.
They told me i can exchange for S7 or an S7 Edge or return it for a full refund or wait for the replacements and get another Note7, i was also told that i have to bring every thing that came in the box back Box, cables, adapters & phone

Last edited:

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I per-ordered my phone and got it on the 19th at my house, today I went to a corporate store today to ask about the recall.
They told me i can exchange for S7 or an S7 Edge or return it for a full refund i was also told that i have to bring every thing that came in the box back Box, cables, adapters & phone
Yeah, that's why I'm not going till at least the end of next week.

Fahrenheit38

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
How does on tell if a store is a corporate store or not? I have going to brick and motor verizon stores. I do plan to wait like 2 weeks so they get stock in for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174